Losing steam :(

Options
I've been on a "lifestyle change" for 3 weeks and I already feel over it. Ive lost about 7lbs but I dont feel like that is enough motivation to keep me going. When does it start feeling normal instead of feeling like I'm depriving myself of the food I really want?

Replies

• ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    Eat the food you like, but just smaller portions. I still eat the foods I love, but instead of 3 slices of pizza I have 2. You can do this if you want.
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    Maybe you need to slow down a bit and take one step at a time; at first it seems easy, so you get really strict about food and exercise, but if you try to make too many changes at once, there's a good chance you'll lose steam soon.

How many calories a day are you eating? Do you have cheat days or cheat meals? Are you working out too much?
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I eat all of the foods I like. Just less of it. Had two cookies today, they were great. And I enjoyed that more than months ago when I would have a sleeve of the darn things.

If you feel like you're depriving yourself, figure out why then fix it. It will become less effort and you find your "happy place"

Good luck.
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in three weeks is great! It definitely is an adjustment at first, but it won't be uncomfortable forever, and it's totally worth this uncomfortable time. Remember not to be too hard on yourself, and give yourself a "cheat" meal every now and then (maybe once a week). That way you won't wind up feeling deprived.

I'm still new at this myself, but that's my 2 cents. Good luck and don't give up! You can do it! :)
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating things you actually like. Find healthy alternative to your favorite foods. Same goes for exercise. Find activities you like to do. Reach out to your support network. (If you don't have one, then get one!) Don't give up, and don't overwhelm yourself. If you've obsessed with losing weight, it will stress you out. Keep it simple and rewarding!
  • KaylaTie
    Options
    This is super hard. I feel you a ton and I'm sure almost everyone else does too. The worst thing I did to myself was deprive myself of the things I wanted. I lost 30+ lbs Feb-May and then got frustrated from a plateau and gave up. 25+lbs later I am so sorry I let myself give up. Smart ones makes some yummy desserts if that's what your craving. If it's not that then maybe there are substitutes that can soothe your cravings? The bottom line is, it's hard but it's worth it. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. Take a week off, but still count your calories! See what you're doing...then see what makes sense for you! Everyone is different...maybe you should up your calories? I bet you would be surprised and lose more then you have in the last 3 weeks...I hope I wasn't annoying and I helped in some small way :/
  • madsdad70
    Options
    I agree, eat what you like, just less of it. Depriving ones self never produces great results. It just produces a frustrated person who goes crazy on the foods they've missed when they feel like they've "blown it". 7 pounds in 3 weeks is AWESOME! I've been at it for 3 weeks and have only lost 4 pounds, but it's 4 pounds I'm not working on anymore! Keep with it, results will start to be visible and you'll be more encouraged to stay with it...Did I write a book or what??? LOL:tongue:
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    For the most part the food I eat needs to be giving me positive nutrition, if there is no nutritional value, I don't need it. This is how I kicked the junk food habit, just quit eating it......it is only a choice that you can make. I don't miss fast food, potato chips, ice cream, candy bars....if you want to be healthy bad enough, you will.
    Good luck.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 3 weeks is a HUGE accomplishment! That's more than 2lbs a week!! While your diary is not public, I assume you were given the infamous 1200 calorie allotment ... if you're feeling deprived and/or still hungry after those 1200 are gone (and assuming you're eating mostly lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains), try upping your calories by choosing 1.5lb loss per week, or even 1lb a week (again, assuming you put in a desired 2lb loss per week). If you are not enjoying the way you are eating, you will have a hard time wanting to stick with it, even with successful weight loss numbers. Find a caloric intake that will give you what you need, while still maintaining that needed deficit. Stick with it ... it WILL get easier!! :flowerforyou:
  • Justin_1972
    Justin_1972 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just remember...nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
  • EmilyZaepfel
    EmilyZaepfel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take up a healthy alternative. I tried green tea and LOVED IT! So when ever I get a craving, i just heat up a cup of green tea and it soothes and relaxes me for 0 calories! (and stops my craving)
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The clue is in the title - My Fitness Pal! I don't mean that in a nasty way! This is about losing weight - yes! And for some, gaining weight! But more importantly getting healthy, staying healthy for life therefore exercising, changing diet etc. I'm here for the long haul! Instant fixes? Not for me! And 7lbs in 3 weeks is brilliant! BUT I am now going to be honest and you may not like it but I am trying to help!! Most of that 7lbs is the initial fluid lose due to change in diet. If you have also started to exercise 10-15-30 minutes (whatever) more than before you will over the next 3 weeks start to see slow but steady weight loss. It sort of depends on you, where you are starting from, where you want to get to and how patient are you? But if you begin to notice that the walk you did 3 weeks ago is now generating sweat - you're burning fat!! Good luck!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It is not like me, but I might be a little harsh here:
    I've been on a "lifestyle change" for 3 weeks and I already feel over it. Ive lost about 7lbs but I dont feel like that is enough motivation to keep me going

7 pounds in three weeks is awesome, if this isn't motivating you what do you expect to happen? It took a long time to put the weight on and it'll take a long time to take it off. That is reality.
    When does it start feeling normal instead of feeling like I'm depriving myself of the food I really want?

If it is this much of a struggle, it's not a 'lifestyle change', you've done something to turn it in to a 'diet'. Look at your foods again, like the others have said, don't deprive yourself of everything you love, that is simply not sustainable! There is no shame in easing yourself into a new regime. You dont have to go straight to a diet of steamed chicken, brocolli and protein shakes from day 1.

Don't worry, we ALL have times where it gets a bit hard and you question what you are doing and how long is this going to take etc etc.

Just think about this. You have started this for a reason. If you think it's all too hard now and go back to old habits you WILL be back here (or heaven forbid on some fad diet) in the months or years ahead. This is a great tool and a great place for support, use it! Have a bad day, feel sorry for yourself, have a slice of cake, whatever. But GET OVER IT and get serious about making this change for the long haul!

Wow, what a rant... sorry if I caused any offence (but it made me feel better, maybe I needed to hear that myself today too!) :flowerforyou:
  • Josteen06
    Josteen06 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'n not afraid of hearing what other people think, that's why I reached out to this community. I apperciate all of the advice.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I agree with every single one of the previous posters. But I'm copying Rayman79's response and saving it to my "MFP Pearls of Wisdom" file that I re-read whenever I need a motivational boost. Excellent response!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I agree with every single one of the previous posters. But I'm copying Rayman79's response and saving it to my "MFP Pearls of Wisdom" file that I re-read whenever I need a motivational boost. Excellent response!

aww shucks :blushing: