Oh no - I am losing muscle as well as fat!

Options
I have been trying to shape up for about 10 weeks now and have lost about 4.5kg on the scale - which compared to previous experiences has been relatively slow. I thought this was because I was exercising as well (not just dieting) and retaining my "little" muscles but my from my calculations half of that loss is fat and half muscle! I don't wanna be skinny fat - so what do I need to change?

Currently, I go to the gym about 6 sessions a week - 1 pump class, 2 circuits which incorporate both cardio and weights (some body weight bearing and some free weights), 1 spin, 1 step class, and the other is varied. Food wise - I do not eat my exercise calories on a regular basis (I only use them if I am going over) and I have tried to incorporate a bit more protein in my diet like protein bars, whey powder in shakes, nuts, meat etc. I think you can look at my diary.

I am currently 54.5 kg (121 pounds) 5'2" and my body fat % is about 25.5%. My goal is to be somewhere around 15 - 16% and look like one of those hot fitness competitors. Suggestions would be helpful:)

Replies

• alliebeck2
    Options
    www.leangains.com
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    www.leangains.com

adding
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    heavy strength training
    diet: eat adequate protein, don't set too aggressive a calorie deficit
    don't too too much steady-state cardio
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You will always burn fat over muscle so you shouldn't worry.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Your diary is only open to friends.

I suspect you are working out too much and doing too much cardio and not enough strength training. Try doing a solid full body strength workout 2-3 times a week and backing up on the cardio a little. Also make sure you are eating enough and getting enough sleep. People generally don't realize how important good quality sleep can be.

Good luck!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    You will always burn fat over muscle so you shouldn't worry.

That's true to a point. You can (and will) lose muscle if you aren't feeding them and working them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else said, I'd suggest dipping into the exercise calories a little -- ok, a lot -- more often. A smaller calorie deficit is important when you don't have as much body fat to lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories and lift heavy things.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would increase weight. Try a workout with heavier weights or do 3 circuits instead of 2 per week.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can read the articles later.

Oh, and Yes to what's already been said.

Helpful, I know~
  • Kyliechristie
    Options
    I have been off reading the useful links posted here. Thanks all for your input - i think i will definately need to up the calorie intake and pay a bit more attention to the quality of calories I am eating. Also change up the workout routine to include more heavy weights and ditch the f*#karounditis as described in leangains.com

Fingers crossed.
  • Kyliechristie
    Options
    Your diary is only open to friends.

I suspect you are working out too much and doing too much cardio and not enough strength training. Try doing a solid full body strength workout 2-3 times a week and backing up on the cardio a little. Also make sure you are eating enough and getting enough sleep. People generally don't realize how important good quality sleep can be.

Good luck!

I've opened up my diary now. Just been reading some posts on your website. Good stuff there - thanks for your advice.