Help! Frustrated

Options
I am new at this! I started on this site a week ago but two weeks ago started counting calories and upping my workouts! I hit the treadmill 6 days a week, take a weight lifting class 2-3 times a week, and do pilates 3 days a week. I have really been staying on the calorie intake and NOTHING is happening! In fact, I went up 5 pounds and am really starting to get frustrated! What am I doing wrong?? Is this normal??

Replies

• enkcott
    enkcott Posts: 29
    Options
    I am new at this! I started on this site a week ago but two weeks ago started counting calories and upping my workouts! I hit the treadmill 6 days a week, take a weight lifting class 2-3 times a week, and do pilates 3 days a week. I have really been staying on the calorie intake and NOTHING is happening! In fact, I went up 5 pounds and am really starting to get frustrated! What am I doing wrong?? Is this normal??
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Can you give us a little more info?

Height
    current weight
    do you eat your exercise calories
    is the workout new or have you been doing it a while
    do you work a sit down job or are you active all day
  • enkcott
    Options
    Sorry! I'm 5'4, Currently 145-150lbs 33 years old

The site says my calorie intake should be 1200 and I am eating the calories I burn

This is a fairly new workout aside from the pilates. I often hit the treadmill but not for more than 20 minutes so I have upped that to 30 minutes or more a day. I am a stay at home mom but I work nights waiting tables so I am pretty active ALL day!
  • vonda08
    vonda08 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi There,

Don't be frustrated enkcott. If you just started working out harder in a matter of two weeks then I'm sure you know not to expect dramatic results so soon. Remember, if it generally takes at least 21 days to form a habit then it's going to take at least that long to break it so keep up the good work and believe that it'll pay off. (smile)

Based on your workout routine that you described, you sound like you're pretty fit and you may have gained muscle which isn't a bad thing at all. However, you're definitely going to have to up your cardio if you're looking to lose. I'd suggest at least 35-40 minutes. Also, what type of foods are you eating?
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    Two words---TAPE MEASURE!!!--I've been on this site since Dec 27th, and have only lost 6 pounds, BUT I've lost a total of nearly 16 inches....Might make you feel better about all of your hard work....:flowerforyou:
  • enkcott
    Options
    I eat pretty health except for the occasional slice of pizza or chocolate. My biggest problem is bread and pasta, you know, CARBS!!!! I have layed off of those for a while so I just am not sure what the deal is! I know its a lot to expect any kind of result in such a short amount of time but something anything would be nice to help with the motivation!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you've just started working out more intensely, it is normal for your body to retain water as it repairs from the workouts. This should subside as you progress.

In my opinion, the "magic 1200" number is too low for a great number of people. Especially if you are waiting tables, you may want to adjust your "activity" level under goals to something other than sedentary, or lose the weight slower. I used to bartend and wait tables, and that ain't sedentary, that's work.

:flowerforyou:
  • enkcott
    Options
    If you've just started working out more intensely, it is normal for your body to retain water as it repairs from the workouts. This should subside as you progress.

In my opinion, the "magic 1200" number is too low for a great number of people. Especially if you are waiting tables, you may want to adjust your "activity" level under goals to something other than sedentary, or lose the weight slower. I used to bartend and wait tables, and that ain't sedentary, that's work.

:flowerforyou:

Amen to that!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I would think that because your doing weights your probably gaining because of muscle! Don't give up sometimes it takes a while but you WILL see results, remember we're here for you!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said. I do think your base calories may be a little low be sure to calculate your BMR and make sure you are not below that. And yes, when you start working out more intensely your body will retain water while it repairs.

You should see things even out after a little while.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree w/ everyone actually!

and I would highly advise you to measure yourself....are your cloths feeling a bit looser...also maybe check your sodium intake I have mine on my profile food page so I know how much I am intaking...I have a problem w/ retaining water...sooo ya gotta watch the sodium...the hidden sodium is killer!
    I eat a banana a day or other forms of potasium because I read it helps your cells release the water from too much sodium....it seems to be working!

Good luck and man you do quite a bit...it will show soon enough!
    hugs,
    Ali