How to save some of my energy for the afternoon

Options
I am not a morning person. I've tried to get up and workout in the morning, but it just doesn't happen because I go back to sleep.

When I'm at work is when I've got a chance to work on my food logs, read a few motivational posts, and get myself all excited about being healthy. It's during this time that I want to get up and go, but being at work I can usually get in two 10min walks (I don't always take breaks or have to sometimes use my lunch for errands). My problem is that I'm all revved up and want to be at home working out when I'm at work and then when I get home I feel drained and I don't have that energy still.

So, any suggestions for being able to keep some of that energy on reserve so that when I get home, get dinner done, and finish helping my daughter with her homework, I will still be PUMPED for a great workout?

Replies

• piesh
    piesh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person. I've tried to get up and workout in the morning, but it just doesn't happen because I go back to sleep.

When I'm at work is when I've got a chance to work on my food logs, read a few motivational posts, and get myself all excited about being healthy. It's during this time that I want to get up and go, but being at work I can usually get in two 10min walks (I don't always take breaks or have to sometimes use my lunch for errands). My problem is that I'm all revved up and want to be at home working out when I'm at work and then when I get home I feel drained and I don't have that energy still.

So, any suggestions for being able to keep some of that energy on reserve so that when I get home, get dinner done, and finish helping my daughter with her homework, I will still be PUMPED for a great workout?
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I don't have kids so I have a little more flexibility in my schedule after work, but, on days that I'm un-motivated I try to haul my butt on my elliptical whether I'm excited about it or not.

I find that once I get on there I get more excited and into my work out. Listening to my favorite CD or music seems to help me get pumped too!!

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

In short you have to just do it...make sure you take multivitamin and eat properly getting good nutrition so that you can have the energy you need..BUT you just have to do it...a lot of people have trouble getting up in the morning but once you take the first step out of that comfort zone of going back to sleep..it gets easier everyday...Ive been getting up at 4:45am to work out its hard but it remedies me stressing all day about a workout and waiting around until the weather is bad or things come up and then there is no time...:flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I can't do it after work.. I get stressed at work and then the gym is super busy. I just wake up early and go. Thatw ay I know i have worked out for the day and I can always do some more in the evening if I want
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's called 32 ounces of coffee 10 minutes before you leave work :laugh:
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    Go walking on your lunch break. I eat a quick lunch and head to the gym at work. It is so much easier than when I get home. If that doesn't work, get your husband to watch or bring your daughter for a walk, anything to keep moving. I always try to get in another 30 min or so when I get home to walk my 2 dogs. Try doing some squats or jumping in place to get your heart rate up.
    Pam
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    maybe set your goals small: like 20min activity 4 days.
    and then 30min

or see if you can get up early on M, Tue. And do that for a couple weeks and add the next day.

Can hubby do homework w/dau. a couple of the nights? then you can exercise.
    do bf as dinner a couple nights so it's not a big production? or soup and salad?

just some ideas...

You don't have to do all these lifestyle changes at one time. So, get used to the logging and food changes, add in a bit of exercise and then keep challenging yourself from there.
  • piesh
    Options
    In short you have to just do it...make sure you take multivitamin and eat properly getting good nutrition so that you can have the energy you need..BUT you just have to do it...a lot of people have trouble getting up in the morning but once you take the first step out of that comfort zone of going back to sleep..it gets easier everyday...Ive been getting up at 4:45am to work out its hard but it remedies me stressing all day about a workout and waiting around until the weather is bad or things come up and then there is no time...:flowerforyou:

Yeah, I have to get up at 5am to get into work on time. I'm worried that when my office moves in a month I'll have to get up much earlier (probably around 4am? eep). I guess I could set my alarm for 3:30am. It means I'll need to get to bed by 7 or 7:30 though, which will be hard.

I'm horrible if I don't have 8 hours in bed. I don't sleep the whole time, but it gives me enough I guess to function. Not sure if that's a side affect of having hypothyroid or not. I used to just sleep 5 hours a night and it was a good solid 5 hours of sleep. I don't get any solid sleep anymore that I'm aware of.

But maybe the morning is the best answer. :ohwell:
  • piesh
    Options
    It's called 32 ounces of coffee 10 minutes before you leave work :laugh:

LOL I'd give it a try but I can't stand the taste of coffee. I LOVE the way it smells, but just can't stand the taste. I've been trying to lay off the diet soda because of the extra sodium too, so I'm sure that's not helping. Thanks for the idea though. :smile:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've been getting up in the morning to workout for about six months and I have to tell you it's really not working for me, in fact I'm more tired now then I've been in my LIFE because I've been waking up early to workout. ): Exercise DOES NOT give you energy if you sacrifice sleep for it!

So I've been gradually easing my workouts into the evening after work (after twelve hours of work ): ) and it's not easy but it's easier then waking up before work!

I'd suggest doing your workout IMMEDIATELY after you're done work. Do NOT go home, do not give yourself the comfort of relaxation. Jump RIGHT into your workout and just push as hard as you can and then go home and do what you can. I'm not sure getting up in the morning would help you at all but I do know that working out after work is working much better for me and it's actually giving me more energy now because I fall asleep more easily after getting all that fresh air just before bed. :)
  • piesh
    Options
    I've been getting up in the morning to workout for about six months and I have to tell you it's really not working for me, in fact I'm more tired now then I've been in my LIFE because I've been waking up early to workout. ): Exercise DOES NOT give you energy if you sacrifice sleep for it!

So I've been gradually easing my workouts into the evening after work (after twelve hours of work ): ) and it's not easy but it's easier then waking up before work!

I'd suggest doing your workout IMMEDIATELY after you're done work. Do NOT go home, do not give yourself the comfort of relaxation. Jump RIGHT into your workout and just push as hard as you can and then go home and do what you can. I'm not sure getting up in the morning would help you at all but I do know that working out after work is working much better for me and it's actually giving me more energy now because I fall asleep more easily after getting all that fresh air just before bed. :)

I wish I didn't have to go home right after work. But I have to pick up my kid from daycare and I don't have a gym membership, I workout at home. So when we get home I need to feed her and make sure she gets her homework done otherwise I won't get a peaceful workout. I used to workout right after the homework, but after a tragedy in the family at the end of the year I feel so drained by the end of the day after work, trying to help my parents (even if it's just listening), and take care of my family (daughter and husband) it's hard to find any energy left over for me.

Hm....I may just have to try different things. I probably just need to suck it up and force myself. It's funny how I think of that and my mind starts drawing a blank on what I can say/think to myself to actually get myself to move. hehehe Maybe reward myself with something like a bubble bath at the end of the week if I complete at least 3 workouts that week. Start there and then push up the days I have to workout to get the reward. Of course I'd have to find the time to get the reward. :laugh: