Excercise and back pain

Options
Hey so I don't know if anyone can help me out a little but I hope so because I'm really struggling. About 7 months ago I had a back injury at work and didn't take care of it and re-injured it. At this point its probably a slipped disk. Anyway the reson I'm posting is because I've heard that excercise is good for back injuries and I was wondering if anyone might know some activities i can still do that will alow me to continue working out and maybe help the injury. I was an avid gym go-er untill about 2 months ago when it got worse and haven't been going to the gym since. As I'm sure you know, when you don't excersise you gain weight and I'm doing that quickly so I need help. Any suggestions are wecome.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Doctor.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    don't mess with your back. Don't take advice from people who are untrained or even if they are they cant look at you or exrays over the web. Go to the Dr and get it taken care of. Eat less and you can lose with out exersise.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Doctor.

Ditto. The chiropractor was my best friend when I was doing long distance running.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Go to the Doctor. As for gaining weight- when you're back hurts even 5-10lbs is AGONY. 90% of weightloss is diet. So tighten up what you're consuming (Real foods, no junk, maintain a calorie goal that is attainable but takes into account being more sedentary) and for godssake go do some physical therapy so you can get back on the exercise train....
  • KB2Fitness
    KB2Fitness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for disc injuries, it loosens everything up and takes some of the stress off of the nerve. Go get an MRI, get it fixed if need be, and get that core strength up so it never happens again!
  • Grammy721
    Options
    Exercise is good to strengthen back but you are describing an injury and you need to see a doctor before doing anything else. If you have ruptured disc you could further damage your back. I am not a doctor but someone who has had 5 spinal surgeries and I know what I am talking about. See a doctor.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I am a physician assistant, and....go to the doctor! Please don't take advice from people on here who don't know you and your symptoms.
  • nicki003
    nicki003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that :) See I went to a doctor and she's kind of useless lol so I'm going to try physio. Thanks :)