Chia Seeds?

Options
Hey everyone!

I have been hearing amazing things about Chia Seeds but I havent actually seen then in stores here (Canada). Does anyone know where I can find them?
My second question is - once I find them, how do I eat them? Does anyone have ideas on how to use them in cooking or are they best just eaten raw?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well... so I'm bumping to come look later. :)
  • lynnemhall
    lynnemhall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check Dr Oz's site. They were mentioned on one of his shows. Sorry I don't remember much else about it.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    got mine at the local health food store - i just mix in my daily serving of yogurt.
  • tapeape2002
    Options
    I found mine in the health food store. Just mix them with my water/juice at breakfast, then just drink them.
  • beggy2
    Options
    We eat Chia seeds often as they are a easily digested nutrient dense food source great for ultra runners, etc. I get ours at our grocery store in the organic spot, the brand is Bob's Mill, I think. I put them in my shake being careful to drink it quickly before it expands to a gelatinous blob of goo in my glass. They start crunchy, so nice to sprinkle on salads, waffles or just add to a glass of water, stir and drink. I keep some in my desk at work and a container at home to use throughout the day.
    They expand with water and make a smooth gel type liquid that can be used to cook instead of butter or oil. They sell them at this website and also give some good ideas for cooking, etc. http://www.mychiaseeds.com/ Hope this helps!
  • Ipster
    Ipster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I order Navitas Naturals Chia Seeds from Amazon. It is cheaper than buying it from the local health food store. I cook them in my oatmeal (yum). I also use them in smoothies, mixed with yogurt, or just sprinkled on any food items.
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I live outside of Toronto. I heard you can get them at Fortinos or Metro...Bob's Old Mill products...also, Wholefoods would probably have them but there's few of those stores...
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Good post!

I ordered 2lb of them online yesterday, how much do you all eat per day? 1 tablespoon? What do they taste like when mixed with water and does the gel produce a non-stick layer if you use it to cook with, in place of butter or oil?
  • amandaelizabeth81
    amandaelizabeth81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys!
    I'm going to look for them tonight and if not, order them online.
    One final question - what do they taste like?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I have been hearing amazing things about Chia Seeds but I havent actually seen then in stores here (Canada). Does anyone know where I can find them?
    My second question is - once I find them, how do I eat them? Does anyone have ideas on how to use them in cooking or are they best just eaten raw?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

You can get them in Canada at:

Bulk Barn
    Cost-co (a container of them usually found where the vitamins are)
    Various other health food stores

I personally order mine in bulk from bulkfoods.com as even their shipped price to Canada is less than the prices I have found locally. I should check that again as prices do tend to change.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys!
    I'm going to look for them tonight and if not, order them online.
    One final question - what do they taste like?

They really don't have much of a taste at all.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Costco.
  • indigoeyes
    indigoeyes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in Alberta and I started getting them at Bulk Barn. I now get the organic ones at Costco. As for the taste, I don't think they really taste like anything.
  • foraMEthatiLOVE
    Options
    We eat Chia seeds often as they are a easily digested nutrient dense food source great for ultra runners, etc. I get ours at our grocery store in the organic spot, the brand is Bob's Mill, I think. I put them in my shake being careful to drink it quickly before it expands to a gelatinous blob of goo in my glass. They start crunchy, so nice to sprinkle on salads, waffles or just add to a glass of water, stir and drink. I keep some in my desk at work and a container at home to use throughout the day.
    They expand with water and make a smooth gel type liquid that can be used to cook instead of butter or oil. They sell them at this website and also give some good ideas for cooking, etc. http://www.mychiaseeds.com/ Hope this helps!

That's why I hated them!!! My mother in law has chia seeds in mixed with her juices everyday, but she keeps her in the fridge with water and this consistency of "gelatinous blob of goo" is how I tried it. I didn't just dislike them, I HATED them! But will def give it a second try with some ideas from this site! Thanks for sharing! Nice post!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    l produce a non-stick layer if you use it to cook with, in place of butter or oil?
    A properly seasoned cast iron pan just needs to be pre-heated properly to allow "no-stick" cooking without the chemical layer that I got tired of flaking off my pans inside of a year. Bought cast iron 7 years ago and still using the same pan so well worth the time to get one and properly season it.
  • mbww
    mbww Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I Love Chia Seeds. My favorite way to eat them is in those fresh grapefruit cups.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I get them at GNC (which is where I work)
    I just pop the seeds in my mouth and chew on them a bit, then swig some water.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Where in Canada are you? I work for an organic bulk food distributor and we sell chia across most of Western Canada.
    Also, If you can find a cereal called "Holy Crap" it's main ingredient is chia and is some great stuff!
  • linjo66
    linjo66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've found them in Bulk Food Barn in the health food section where they keep them near the health foods/gluten free items.