Running with back pain

Options
Does anyone on here have a bad back and run? I love running, but I after awhile, my back hurts. I roll on one of those therapy rollers a couple times a day, sleep with a pillow under my legs and between my legs . It isn't every day. I am thinking about going to a dr, but I am afraid I will be told not to run. Thinking there could be a disc problem. Just wondering if anyone has had surgery and then went back to running. Next problem would be finding a cook Dr. Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.

Replies

• mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Is it because you don't have enough leg strength so you're using your back muscles instead of your glutes/hamstrings? That happened to me a little bit... I did some lower body strength training and it cleared right up.
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Is it because you don't have enough leg strength so you're using your back muscles instead of your glutes/hamstrings? That happened to me a little bit... I did some lower body strength training and it cleared right up.

Thanks for the great advice! I have been having lower back pain during the last mile or two of my run and was kind of looking for an explanation and this just might be it! On to squats!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    try changing your shoes cause when i exercise, it loosens up my muscles. but idk... good luck sweetie!! :)
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Try strengthening your core. I have a bad back and once I got a strong stomach and back muscles, the pain subsided dramatically.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoes. I done research and it does a big difference, might want to go at a running store. Also it can probably be that your body is just getting used to all the running. I just started running like 6 months ago going from 1-2 miles to 10 miles and if I go over a certain # of miles my back start to hurt because I'm not used to more miles than I'm currently training for
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I second the weak sore being the culprit. If you are developing pain with an exercise though you probably need to back off of it. Im not saying stop running, but maybe cut the distances down so that your body can get used to the running and get stronger? I have had a bad back for years and I havent had a flare until now in the last 2 years or so. But a bad flare is serious... and back stuff is nothing to mess around with.
  • 8BaughDad
    8BaughDad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back, many shots, nerve blocks, nerve burns, but the pain stays. The only option I have is to keep walking, keep running and deal with the pain, no weight loss hurts more than the back! Good luck !
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to have that....I switched to Biking!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There could be lots of reasons for this - I suggest that you get some professional advice to work out what is going on. There's a good chance they won't tell you to stop running, most likely they will help you identify where the problem is coming from and give you some strategies to work through it.
    (I had knee pain earlier in the year and was reluctant to see a doctor, so I waited until it got worse, finally saw a doctor who referred me to a physio. She helped the pain, showed me how to strap it up and I was right back to running. I shouldn't have waited!)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Try strength training for your core (abs,obliques and back). This will help with running posture and might help a lot.