breast feeding, question and support

Options
I've been breast feeding for 11 months...i delivered at 214...made it down to 185 by the end of month 1. By the time my daughter was four months though she was super underweight and the doctor had me put her on solids..the weight started coming back and I got up to 223. I am watching what I eat and exercising about four times a week. I am still nursing but only a morning and evening feeding. I usually only pump once throughout the day also because of work and school. Is it possible I'm having a harder time trying to lose because I am not nursing enough? I read it is the process of making milk which causes you to burn the calories...but since I infrequently empty is this a contributing factor? Also I feel like I might not be eating enough, Since I've been eating healthier I find myself less hungry. I'm thinking this is also affecting my supply. Anyone else go through this?

Replies

• laughingwasabi
    Options
    As a rule of thumb, you need to add an additional 500 calories/day in order to support breastfeeding healthily. Also, pumping more would increase the amount of milk produced--basically after the first week or so your body goes to an "on demand" schedule (that's how women with twin/triplets/etc etc can safely feed all them babies!) so, by only feeding twice a day and pumping once, you're telling your body not to make as much.
    But good luck! And congrats on breastfeeding!
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    Unfortunately the job I have barely allows me one break a day!!! Thanks for your response, i'll keep trying!
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who couldn't drop weight while breast feeding. My milk supply stopped because I couldn't breast feed at work when my youngest was 6 months. I would buy a pump that latches onto my body, cover myself with a shall and pump more if you plan on breast feeding over the age one. It would benefit you and the baby if the weight easily came off while breast feeding. Make sure you are logging your food and adding in those extra calories. You don't have to eat more just higher caloric items like peanut butter and such. Good luck!
  • rachaelgarcia
    Options
    Going through the same thing!!!!!-I had the same problem while breastfeeding. I just stopped breastfeeding my daughter about a month ago (I nursed for a year) and am dealing with getting my hormones back on track. Although most women will drop weight while breasting about 25% of women will retain weight to make the milk! Even if you are nursing or pumping only once a day your body will stay in breast feeding mode (meaning losing weight may be very difficult.) I concentrated on nursing my daughter and began to deal with the weight once she self weaned.From what I have been told you should be eating at least 1800 calories per day while breast feeding (and that is the lowest you can go.)
    When I stopped breastfeeding It was a HUGE hormonal shift!!!! For me it was more dramatic than after I gave birth, But, on the upside the weight began to come off. I would just concentrate on eating healthy and exercising until you are done breastfeeding which is a wonderful thing you are doing for your baby with a lifetime of benefits. You can friend me if you want. I hope this helped
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    thanks guys! i guess i'm just having my freak out moment cause I feel like I'm doing the best I can but the weight won't come off. I guess breastfeeding a few times a day is better than none!!
  • erica714
    erica714 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are doing the best you can :) The weight will eventually come off. It takes a while for my body to get back to normal after nursing. (I was never one of the lucky ones to lose weight during nursing). After I stopped nursing and got into a more intense workout routine the weight started coming off. I lost 35lbs in 4 months. Right now just make sure to take care of yourself and your little one. :)
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    I suppose I'm being kinda vain too...I have never been single before and I guess I'd feel better about being thin. But yes, baby comes first! thanks :) congrats on your loss!
  • erica714
    erica714 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you, and I don't think you are being vein at all. You just want to feel like "yourself" again. As long as you are doing what is best for you, it is worth it. Happy Momma = Happy Baby ;)
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am another that actually gained weight breastfeeding, even though I was not eating very much. I finally just had to accept that I just had to to my best to start healthy habits and wait until I was finished breastfeeding to expect any weight loss. It is hard when you want to lose weight, but you are doing something awesome for your baby!
  • Katedimaggio
    Katedimaggio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this topic because I've been trying really hard to lose weight while breast feeding my 11 month old little girl and can't seem to lose much weight even though I'm under my calorie goal and working out regularly. Must be difficult to lose weight while breast feeding save the initial 1st month after birth. Let me know if you figure anything else out! I'm currently a few lbs under 170 and am 5'3
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    At this point I'm trying to lose at least 1 pound a week!! I'm probably going to quit breast feeding at year...I'd do it longer but I'm rarely home anyhow and she is just about self weaning! I love knowing I'm not alone here! Everyone else I know lost so much weight without even trying.
  • PerfectPout
    PerfectPout Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am a breastfeeding mum and my son is 4 months old. You definitely need to add 500 calories ON TOP of your goal calories and make sure you eat all of them just as long as there is a little deficit at the end of the day then you will be all good.

If you type in breastfeeding in the search bar, you can add this to your food diary every day. You can add me if you like and view my diary so you see what I am talking about. I put mine under 'snacks'.

Good luck and hope this info has helped.
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    thanks!! yes it it all quite a process!
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I nursed my babies and I did have a hard time losing weight during. And that was being a SAHM and nursing...a lot. It was easier for me to accept continuing to wear my elastic waist everything for a while longer. I can imagine it would be a lot hard having to get dressed for work every day as well as being single. I don't think you are just being vain. I would encourage you with a very true saying that "the days are long but the years fly by." This time will pass. Maybe in the meantime, you might be better off trying for 1/2 lb per week? Just a thought.
  • ginas1271
    ginas1271 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP and am looking for some support. My youngest is nearly 3 months old and gets a mix of latching on and my pumped milk. What have some of you done on your profile/page to adjust for the extra 300-500 calories needed to br feed? Or does it just look like you eat too much, everyday! BTW, my picture is my goal pic- before I got married and had 2 kids.
  • ShannTron
    Options
    DO NOT ADD EXTRA CALORIES! NOT TRUE!

I am a breast feeding advocate, have nursed both my kids. My son I nursed for 20 months and my daughter for 13 months.

For the orginal post: your production is not calorie related, it has to do with the suckling needed to queue the body to produce more as your baby grows. That is why pacifiers are not encouraged when breast feeding. A child needs to suckle the breast to trigger it to produce more. Since you have limited feedings, it is limiting how much you will produce.

losing weight during breast feeding does happen. But everyone is different. Despite popular belief what you eat has little to do with the nutritional value of the breast milk.
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_myths2.html
    PLEASE DO NOT EAT MORE...it is a myth and NOT TRUE.

You may be surprised to learn that studies have shown that maternal nutrition has only a minor effect on the composition and quantity of breastmilk produced. <
    this is true

Contact you local Le Leche League
    http://www.lllusa.org/
    1-877-4-LALECHE

Keep up the breastfeeding! Good Luck! If you need any other help, questions, support friend me.....I am a breast feeding freak....lol

Shannon~
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    I just started MFP and am looking for some support. My youngest is nearly 3 months old and gets a mix of latching on and my pumped milk. What have some of you done on your profile/page to adjust for the extra 300-500 calories needed to br feed? Or does it just look like you eat too much, everyday! BTW, my picture is my goal pic- before I got married and had 2 kids.

i was not able to figure out how to adjust this, but to be honest I didn't eat more. Some days I'm hungrier than others...it just depends. I think it seems pretty accurate if you set your loss to 1/2 pound or 1 pound a week. That is def enough calories to sustain making milk. But I'm not an expert, just what I did!