Should I weight daily or weekly?

Options
Hey....so I hear that weighing in daily keeps you accountable every day with every meal and then I hear its better to weigh weekly due to water weight and discourgement from fluctuations out of your control. What's your take?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's your choice.
    Personally, I think weekly is better - you are more likely to get a true picture of what is happening in your body over a week.
    Really, it would be better to weigh in each month, but I don't have the self control to do that.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i do it daily but they once a week!!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    weekly as well as body measurements
  • knight_owl
    Options
    I think weekly is better. In my personal experience, if I weigh daily, I start to stress about it.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I agree that it's up to you, personally I weighed myself weekly until I hit my goal weight, now I weigh in every 2 weeks, just to keep myself in check.
  • kellylara93
    Options
    I weigh in daily on my Wii Fit, I find that small losses daily keep me motivated to keep up the good work, and small gains push me to work harder :)
  • ksmith2187
    Options
    i weigh daily but report weekly.. mostly cause i cant help myself.
  • tammyll3
    Options
    I weigh daily. I feel like it keeps me honest.
  • colwellk
    colwellk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I average the previous three days on a spreadsheet, and I don't stress about gains or losses. I just like to see the graph with all of them.
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    weekly is probably better. I do it daily, I have a wiifit. some days i show little loss, some days i show a gain, some days i show a big loss, but if you look at it on a weekly basis i've been showing a loss since i've been loosing weight. if you do it daily you can not get discouraged showing a gain or little or no loss for a day or two.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, report weekly, and take measurements monthly.
  • summerskinny25
    Options
    I do it daily, every morning, and I think it has made a huge difference in my success this time (10 lbs in one month) as opposed to countless other times.

This is why: By doing it daily and writing it down on a calendar (this is important) I can see exactly what has happened day to day and this helped me kinda figure out what was working and what wasn't nutrition and fitness-wise, and how each day's decisions affected my goals.

For example, if I weighed in every Monday, and then went out on Friday for a crazy night of food and drinks, my weight might jump back up because of that and the next Monday I'd be like, why am I still the same weight, I was so good all last week! Whereas if I weigh in every day, I see my weight decreasing very gradually each day I'm "good" and then spiking back up when I'm "bad" and I know EXACTLY where it came from (Friday night!). It's such a bummer to see it go up a lot after seeing it decrease each day before that, that I'm very motivated to work hard each day.

Plus, psychologically, most people prefer instant gratification (even if they say they don't) and its the way we learn/work/are best motivated. This is why we sometimes eat a lot (instant pleasure) but is also something that we can use to our advantage during weight loss. Seeing anything from a .1 lb to a 1.2 lb drop most days has kept me immensely motivated and makes my progress feel real :)
  • nm_runner
    Options
    I weigh daily. The downside is, I do stress over the fluctuations. But, if I'm retaining water one day, and I see it go away the next day, I'm okay with that. I've always worried that if I weighed weekly, and on that one day that I weighed in, I was up from water retention, would I be able to stay calm until the next weekly weigh in? I know me, and no, I would not.
  • Apriltrev04
    Apriltrev04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i step on the scale daily but try to only track on sundays.. sometimes I track on the other days if i havent had a loss for a couple weeks and finally see the scale move! I think its your own opinion and what works to keep you motivated!! :) Good Luck!!
  • BlJohnston77
    BlJohnston77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think weekly because daily would get frustrating if you don't see a loss. I weigh weekly at home and monthly with my trainer along with my measurments.
  • Apriltrev04
    Apriltrev04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Love this! well said!! :)
    I do it daily, every morning, and I think it has made a huge difference in my success this time (10 lbs in one month) as opposed to countless other times.

This is why: By doing it daily and writing it down on a calendar (this is important) I can see exactly what has happened day to day and this helped me kinda figure out what was working and what wasn't nutrition and fitness-wise, and how each day's decisions affected my goals.

For example, if I weighed in every Monday, and then went out on Friday for a crazy night of food and drinks, my weight might jump back up because of that and the next Monday I'd be like, why am I still the same weight, I was so good all last week! Whereas if I weigh in every day, I see my weight decreasing very gradually each day I'm "good" and then spiking back up when I'm "bad" and I know EXACTLY where it came from (Friday night!). It's such a bummer to see it go up a lot after seeing it decrease each day before that, that I'm very motivated to work hard each day.

Plus, psychologically, most people prefer instant gratification (even if they say they don't) and its the way we learn/work/are best motivated. This is why we sometimes eat a lot (instant pleasure) but is also something that we can use to our advantage during weight loss. Seeing anything from a .1 lb to a 1.2 lb drop most days has kept me immensely motivated and makes my progress feel real :)
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I weigh in monthly, only because my scales at home are horrible, so I just book in every month at the gym for weigh and measure. It is really hard trying to wait a whole month though, some times I have a look at my scales at home but there is really not point because they are so out. If I had proper scales I would do it weekly at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I try not to do it every day though sometimes I give in. I like trying to keep it to once a week.

For me at least, the wrong thing on the scale can really mess up the rest of my day.
  • jenlarkin300384
    jenlarkin300384 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, mainly because it keeps me on track. But my official recording day is a Monday morning.