Questions on Recording small activities

Options
My Aunt and I went Christmas shopping today and did quite a bit of walking in a large mall. All of the walking was at a slow pace in between stores and whatnot . Should i record something like that in my cardio log and how many minutes would you recommend putting? We were at the mall for around 3 hours but wasn't walking constantly.

Small activities like that... Are they worth logging?

Replies

• TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i log it especially if i am out for a long while and doing lots of walking like 2 or more hours
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would guesstimate how much time you spent walking and yes I would log it. You are still up and moving, so yeah COUNT IT! :)
  • Apriltrev04
    Apriltrev04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    every little bit counts! even if it was only 10 minutes (i know in this case it wasnt)
  • Malani2010
    Options
    It all adds up. Yes log it!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't usually record walking in a shopping centre, because it would be at a pretty slow pace with lots of stops.
    And my activity level is set to lightly active which allows for more activity that just sitting around all day.

Its up to you - you will be burning calories when you are doing it, but probably not very much more than you would burn doing regular things around the house or work. If that's the case, I wouldn't log it.
    If however, you are very sedentary, unfit, rarely walk anywhere and have your activity level set to sedentary, then you could log it.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log that kind of stuff. If I'm not sweating & getting my heart rate up, I don't consider exercise. I guess I just consider it activities of daily living. It's up to you, but I wouldn't count on that as your only form of exercise or plan on eating those calories back. Just my personal opinion. :)
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I agree with Shelby.....and I even asked my doctor about this. He said that daily activity is a good thing. Taking walks on your breaks is a good thing, and keep on doing it!!! But you really need to get sweating and get your heart rate up in order to get the most benefit.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log anything that isn't a dedicated workout. I consider any extra incidental activity during the day as just a bonus.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I would personally not log it because for my work I am on my feet and walking around all the time. However, if you don't stand like that on a regular basis than I would log a portion of it. Leisurely walking doesn't really cover your situation fully because you aren't just walking. You are stopping and looking at things too, so I would log like 1.5-2 hours of it in MFP.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help everyone! i think i am going to remove that log. I guesstimated the time frame and the calories seemed awfully high for the time spent and i definitely wasn't sweating or getting my heart rate up. (unless you count getting excited for a cute pair of boots!)

I'd really like to keep this adventure of getting fit honest and accurate as possible.