Swimming for weight loss?

Options
Hello!
I have recently started swimming in the mornings about 40-50 minutes a day plus cardio and weights for an hour 4-5x a week. Has anyone else had success with swimming as far as weight loss goes?

Thanks!

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a guy, who would go from VERY Obese to just overweight, every year when swimming would start at school. It works.
  • Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    My GP told me that you improve fitness swimming however you do not lose weight which made sense as I swam competitively when I was younger and I have always been overweight. Maybe it differs for different people I'm not sure.
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I try to swim once a week as cross training, and it has worked great for me!
  • jennalynn171717
    Options
    It works GREAT!
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    I was swimming 3 days a week, and had a loss of about 2lbs a week. I did tear my rotator cuff, and have only lost 2 pounds this month, while in physical therapy, treadmill, elliptical and counting all calories. So, it works for me!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I'm torn on this one, because while it does burn great calories, technique is such a big part in swimming that you may be doing less work if you are an efficient swimmer. In the end, it's still burning calories though.

Having said that. I tend to burn 500 calories swimming laps nonstop for 35 minutes. And you can bet your @ss i count them. :smile:
  • 4realnowcw
    Options
    I think swimming is great for toning and stretching out your muscles - - - I'm swimming once a week with my kids and really enjoy it.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My GP told me that you improve fitness swimming however you do not lose weight which made sense as I swam competitively when I was younger and I have always been overweight. Maybe it differs for different people I'm not sure.

lol have you seen Michael Phelps? Swimming is fantastic for those with joint issues to use in their weight loss. Or just for a change of pace.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

lol have you seen Michael Phelps? Swimming is fantastic for those with joint issues to use in their weight loss. Or just for a change of pace.

Sure, if you swim 6 miles every day. lol
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    I swim every day for an hour...love it..
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What type of swimming ??? Water Aerobics extremely beneficial .... especially while using water weights. I used to teach a class and was also an avid participant as well. I started my weightloss journey in the water ... It not only helped build my core, but there is something about water that is so calming and no other source of exercise can compare to that calmness.

But ... the truth is, you should really love whatever exercise you choose to do, because in the end ... the only way to make it a lifestyle is to look forward to it every day ! And when you miss a day .... you feel it ! :)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Sure, if you swim 6 miles every day. lol

C'mon ... Swimming can give you an excellent workout ... think about open water swimming against the current ... or the different types of swimming such as butterfly stroke. Swimmers are generally strong individuals with a solid core. Anybody who dedicates five days a week to this type of endurance can certainly gain muscle and lose inches. ;)
  • DiscoverHW
    Options
    Swimming will not only burn calories, maybe not as many as certain other activities, but it will also boost metabolism as well as create lean muscle which is crucial in the process of losing weight. Great job and keep it up!