PALEO DIET!!!!!

maletac
maletac Posts: 767 Member
edited October 5 in Food and Nutrition
who knows about it and is good at it... i would love some reviews on my diet and i think i only know a few people who have or are doing it :(

Replies

• It is more of a way of life than a diet

There is a huge group following paleo :]
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    bump
  • I've tried it, and failed miserably! If anyone has tips for severe carb addicts... I would greatly appreciate the input!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Do a search for "Paleo" or "Primal" in the groups and in the previous threads... there are lots of people here. I'm not strict Paleo, but my diet/lifestyle is very similar. Lost 55 lb in 8.5 months so far, and feel wonderful.

I tried to look at your diary, but it's "friends only." You are welcome to friend me if you like, or shoot me a message if you just want some helpful hints. I don't claim to know everything, but I've found it has gotten easier and easier as I've learned more tricks. :smile: And I would be happy to share.

You might also see whether you can find a copy of the Canadian documentary "My Big Fat Diet." It's an inspiring story that follows a Native village where the people drastically lowered their obesity and diabetes rates by returning to a diet that more closely resembled their ancestral diet.

Good luck to you!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    I've tried it, and failed miserably! If anyone has tips for severe carb addicts... I would greatly appreciate the input!

The key, for me, was eating plenty of protein and eating it often. If you do that, you have enough energy and you stay too full to crave the carbs. Plan on three meals and three snacks a day, eat every three hours, beginning as soon as you wake up in the morning. Take your body weight and try to eat at least that many grams of protein every day. For example, when I started this, I weighed 300 lb. So I ate or drank at least 50g of protein at each meal or snack.

Here's a list of "substitute" foods that I've found, lower-carb higher-protein versions of different foods.
    Things I can’t have / So instead, I have:
    Tortilla chips: Green bell peppers: use strips instead of chips for dipping.
    Taco shells: Green bell peppers: use larger pieces (quarters or halves) to put your taco fixins inside.
    Burrito shells or sandwich wraps: Small head of bib lettuce, remove the center & fill “bowl” with filling.
    Mashed potatoes: Steamed, mashed cauliflower
    Rice: Steamed, riced cauliflower (use a potato ricer, cheese grater, or food processor on “chop”)
    Meatloaf made with bread crumbs: Meatloaf made with shredded zucchini
    Potato chips: Kale or spinach chips. Spread leaves on cookie sheet, sprinkle with seasonings & olive oil, and roast ‘til crispy.
    Potato chips: Pork rinds (I love the spicy kind)
    Potato chips: Slices of flavored cheeses
    Chocolate ice cream: Mix a ½ scoop of chocolate-flavored low-carb protein powder into 1 cup plain Greek yogurt & freeze.
    Fruit / fruit juice / sweets: Crystal Light fruit-flavored drink powder mixes. Can mix these into water, or into plain Greek yogurt.
    Breaded veggies: Mix up an egg with seasonings and parmesan cheese, dip the veggies in, and grill or pan-fry.
    BBQ sauces with sugars / molasses: BBQ rubs made from the herbs & spices only.
    http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/tp/aatp042607a.htm
    Muffins made with flour & sugar: Muffins made with flaxmeal & Splenda.
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx
    Pancakes made with flour & sugar: Pancakes made with flaxmeal (see previous Atkins link) or with protein powder.
    2 scoops of vanilla (or flavor of your choice) protein powder, add 1 egg, mix. Add water gradually until it’s pancake batter consistency, then fry like a pancake or cook in a waffle iron.

Everyone's metabolism is different, the Paleo or Primal lifestyle may not work for everyone. But it's done wonders for me. Good luck!
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 170 Member
    Thank you for the extensive 'sub' list!! It's nice to get some more ideas!
This discussion has been closed.