Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

My diet does not work any more

I life long yo yo dieter, I started the diet that was to be the last, the one to end all diets, in early 2010. Aged 67 I was worried about ending up in a wheel chair if I did not lose some of the bulk. I was very strict, and quite successful. By the end of the year I had come down three dress sizes and was more or less where I wanted to be.
We did a bit of travelling this year, going away three times, each trip lasting a week. Every time when I came back I was heavier, so immediately went back on my diet, which had worked before, but it did not work any more. After my last holiday, in October, I had gained almost a third of what I lost last year. I have been on an even stricter diet for 10 days now, surviving on less that a 1000 calories a day. To that I have added daily half hour very brisk walks. Still, my weight does not budge. I am at my wits end, and do not know what to do. Eat even less? Walk even more? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Help!

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    You have to change your way of thinking.
    Diets never work long term. You have to make a lifestyle change and commit to making healthier choices in your foods. If you're eating less than 1000 calories a day, that's most likely why you're not losing weight. As odd as it sounds, you have to eat to lose.
    Eat healthy non-processed foods and lean meats, exercise regularly, and make sure you're eating enough calories every day. Do this as a new lifestyle and not as a diet and you will be healthy and lose the weight.

You should net a minimum of 1200 calories per day as a female.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    What kinds of foods are you eating? Quality is much more important that quality...especially when you are eating so few (probably too few) calories. Give us an idea of what exactly you're eating and it might be easier to help!

A bit more cardio, as well as strength training, would also be wise to add in.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    You have to change your way of thinking.
    Diets never work long term. You have to make a lifestyle change and commit to making healthier choices in your foods. If you're eating less than 1000 calories a day, that's most likely why you're not losing weight. As odd as it sounds, you have to eat to lose.
    Eat healthy non-processed foods and lean meats, exercise regularly, and make sure you're eating enough calories every day. Do this as a new lifestyle and not as a diet and you will be healthy and lose the weight.

Great advice
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    yup, what he said.
    Eat healthy, move more, drink lots of water.
    repeat. ;)
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Hello! I have been there, but I learned that eating under 1,000 calories will put your body into starvation mode. How much exercising are you doing? When you signed up on this site you answered how much you need to lose and your weight and age, Just follow what this site states you need to eat to reach your goal. I would also add some strength training into your exercise routine, your body will burn more calories if you have muscle. and I agree with Coltsman4ever, this has to be a lifestyle change not a diet. Have you ever tried a whey protein shake for one of your meals? I have been using Shakeology for the past 4-5 months and love it. Just a thought.
    Don't Give up,
    Good Luck
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    agree w/the first person. You shouldn't be dieting but changing the way you are eating FOREVER. until you can accept that people can't eat crap everyday, you'll continue to be a yo yo dieter. think of what triggers you to eat the foods that are causing the weight gain... often it's poor planning & when you have to eat something quickly & dont have time to prepare, that's when people eat bad foods.
  • To think of this as something that lasts throughout your life, you must be taking actions that you can live with FOR the rest of your life. That includes choosing healthier options. It's not realistic to eat less than 1,000 calories a day.

Let's say that you are allowed 1,500 calories through MFP. It's easy to eat 1,500 calories by eating processed, unhealthy options. You'll blow through that in no time. But to choose healthy, smart options, you'll find that 1,500 is plenty.

Each day I am allowed 1,310, and I eat 5 times a day. That's more often than before I began watching what I ate. And that's something that I can live with in the long run. Every time I'm hungry, it's time for another (healthy) snack. No problem.

So, when you go on these awesome get-aways, you can eat like a real person. :) And you'll notice the change in yourself. And you won't feel guilty every time you're eating.
    Good luck!
  • To think of this as something that lasts throughout your life, you must be taking actions that you can live with FOR the rest of your life. That includes choosing healthier options. It's not realistic to eat less than 1,000 calories a day.

Let's say that you are allowed 1,500 calories through MFP. It's easy to eat 1,500 calories by eating processed, unhealthy options. You'll blow through that in no time. But to choose healthy, smart options, you'll find that 1,500 is plenty.

Each day I am allowed 1,310, and I eat 5 times a day. That's more often than before I began watching what I ate. And that's something that I can live with in the long run. Every time I'm hungry, it's time for another (healthy) snack. No problem.

So, when you go on these awesome get-aways, you can eat like a real person. :) And you'll notice the change in yourself. And you won't feel guilty every time you're eating.
    Good luck!
  • Hi there,
    As mentioned by other members here dieting is not the answer. The answer is constant weight management by knowing what foods to eat and what foods to avoid all year round. Don't let your body blow up like a blimp and deflate with a diet. It is very unhealthy and puts a high amount of stress on your body.

Your diet is probably not working now because your body's metabolism has decreased to such a point that 1000 calories are enough to survive on. You have to work on getting your resting metabolism up again. This is done through proper nutrition and working out in the gym.

Try this first:
    - Eat 6 small meals spread out through the day
    - Drink 8 glasses of water to get rid of water retention
    - Sleep 8 hours a day minimum so your body is well rested.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
    Zdiets.net - Lost 170lbs - Hypertension GONE! - High Cholesterol GONE! - Pre-Diabetes GONE!
  • elinjons
    elinjons Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I am overwhelmed by your response, I did not really expect anybody to read my post, let alone reply. My exercise consists of brisk walks around the neighbourhood, which is quite hilly. I will NOT visit a gym, the last time I went to one I drove home in tears. One of you asked what I am eating: Breakfast: porridge made with 30g oatmeal plus water, with skimmed milk and 1/4 of an apple. Lunch: one slice of Weight Watchers wholemeal bread, with a slice of wafer thin ham and low cal cheese. Snack: an oatcake with low fat cheese spread plus another slice of the apple. Dinner: usually steamed fish with a salad (no dressing) and 0% fat yogurt with 10 defrosted raspberries, and an orange. All very healthy, but a bit boring in the long run. I do cook "real" food every day, for my long-suffering husband,
  • Remember, in order to burn fuel, you have to take in fuel!

Good luck!