How long can I be 2000 calorie deficit?

Options
How long can we be "calorie deficit" I calculated my BMR and my daily calorie needs according to a website I need 2953 calories to maintain my current weight. If I continue the Vegetable broth Almased combination (930 calories per day) I will be calorie deficit about 2000 calories per day. I know becoming calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight but how long can I be 2000 calorie deficit and it be safe?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Uh that is way too big of a deficit. Keeping intake that low for too long and you are going to be losing a lot of muscle mass.

Why not a 500 cal deficit?
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say? Is he/she monitoring this?
  • felicity866
    Options
    about 3 days.....that is if you don't get sick before hand.....from what i have seen on this site your deficit should not be any more than 1000 cals per day and even that only for a very short time!!

we all understand the desire, and at times need to lose weight but i am not sure that this is the way to go:frown:

i have trouble eating enough calories to meet my exercise levels some days and few people have queried it, but this is beyond my deficit on any day.

i apologise if this sounds harsh, i am not meaning to be critical just concerned for your health. you have not said what your current weight is or how much you would like to lose or you current health status so it is really hard to help answer you question.

take some time to see what other people are doing as part of their plan and use that as a guide.

i wish you all the best and hope this works out ok :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you work in the health care field - so I'm sure your advice to a patient who asks this would be "not without medical supervision. For most people, eating such low calories is going to be very unhealthy.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My weight is 299 my BMI is about 48.3% . My BMR is 2284 and my calorie needs to stay at 299 is 2953 calories/day. I lost 5 pounds in about 12 days. Two days ago I started only having 930 calories Almased starting phase. I had 1,835 calories today (11/30/11). I am using Almased which is supposed to be good for helping lose weight they recommend 3 days of only Almased (liquid diet). I don't feel hungry with the Almased but today I had some moose and eskimo ice cream. http://www.almased.com/about-almased.aspx
    I don't plan on staying on the 930 calories per day for more than couple days.
  • kthurlow
    Options
    eat over 1200 calories if you're a girl, and over 1,400 if you're a guy. I'm 135 pounds and I would never eat under 1000 calories.. Dont think i could
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi

Do you do much in the way of exercise? I started about 5 weeks ago at a similar weight (slightly less) and have lost 30lbs since that point. My daily deficits are big but I do burn 2.5k cals some days (according to MFP) and tend to have an intake of 1800-2400 per day. It's a good job I do so much exercise because I don't know how I could survive on such a small number of cals (my target without exercise is 1700).

Even though I am sometimes in negative net, I know MFP over-estimates my cals burned and I also feel fine, no tiredness, dizzyness or anything like that. The way I see it, if you are pretty big to begin with, you can lose faster than 2lbs a week, at least for a while...

Interesting to see others' input on this topic :)
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Don't get to do too much exercise with my job mostly sitting with some walking around. I am going to start exercising at least twice a week. I do work in the health field my nutritionist said even 2000 per day can help me lose weight but said I can have 1,500-1,700. I am going to have 975 according the food tracker. Honestly with that much calorie intake right now I feel great. I feel like I have more energy than a couple weeks ago when i used to scarf down food :bigsmile:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Don't get to do too much exercise with my job mostly sitting with some walking around. I am going to start exercising at least twice a week. I do work in the health field my nutritionist said even 2000 per day can help me lose weight but said I can have 1,500-1,700. I am going to have 975 according the food tracker. Honestly with that much calorie intake right now I feel great. I feel like I have more energy than a couple weeks ago when i used to scarf down food :bigsmile:

Feeling good =/= safe.