L-Carnitine

Options
Hey everyone

So my latest delivery of protein powder came with two free samples of things ive never tried before. L-Carnitine and The Curse.

What is L-Carnitine? I've googled this but I'm unsure whether I want to put stuff into my body that I know so little about! Does anyone use this?

Also, has anyone used The Curse for a pre-workout boost? If I workout at around 5pm will it keep me too jacked up to sleep?

I'm currently working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women, trying to lift heavy and running a small 250 calorie deficit.

Replies

• markak
    markak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I can only give you a little info about L-carnitine, it is a membrane protein placed in the mitochondria membrane, which transports free fatty acids inside the mitochondria.

If you are doing a Ketosis diet, it would be wise to supplement with L-Carnitine as the membrane protein could be a rate limiting factor of your fatty acid metabolism.

I have been using it through my diet, as i´m very low on carbs and on my diet I have a high fat metabolism. Studies have shown that if taken for longer periods, it might increase your fat metabolism.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't know alot about l-carnitine, but I have heard it's used for weight loss, I've also heard that it's useless. I was given a batch of it by a friend who was dieting and I am using it up because I might as well give it a go, I know that the body just disposes of any surplus in the urine so it's not doing me any harm by taking it, but I won't be bothering to buy any more. I couldn't honestly say whether it makes any difference. Its acetyl l-carnitine if that makes any difference? I just take a (tiny) scoop in the morning and if I remember I might have one in the evening before I work out.

But to be honest, I really don't know if it does anything, probably not since I'm not writing amazing reviews!!!
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Carnitine helps oxidize fatty acids to be used as an energy source and helps keep cholesterol levels in check. It is really only beneficial if you are carnitine deficient or consuming high amounts of dietary fat. It is marketed as a weight loss aid for some reason. Acetyl-L-carnitine is probably better since some studies have shown it improves cognitive function. Probably not enough data to show its efficacy, but still, i don't think carnitine is expensive.

The problem with most pre-workouts the proprietary blend, which is a way of hiding the dosages of the ingredients. Most of the beneficial ingredients is under dosed and the only ingredient you probably benefit from is the stimulants. The stimulants effects depends on how sensitive you are to it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I've taken it. Did it help me? Maybe, I wasn't too dedicated to ever come to a conclusion. Besides, it's in most protein shake blends already. Chances are if you're taking a protein shake, it's in there (and that wouldn't be a bad thing). Only time I might take supps like this is if I didn't already have a shake that day that already has the stuff in it. Same thing with BCAA's, my protein powder already contains more in it than the friggin' supplements I have.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    An old trainer of mine said I should take L-Carnitine to help burn belly fat. I did, but I don't know that it ever really did anything. A friend of mine swears by it though.