The problem with eating exercise calories....

Options
When i started on MFP i resolutely refused to eat back my exercise calories (not that i did much exercise in the first place). However several weeks of dieting and watching everyone log exercise i began to go for walks and log them. I realised the calories were quite substantial so i read some of the forum stuff about eating back exercise calories and decided it was about time i gave it a go.

So this week i dropped my calories target to 1200 and began logging exercise with the resolution to eat the calories back.

BUT i have a problem....

I work all day, go home make dinner for the family and then eat with them. After dinner is my time, this is when i go for a walk, swim etc. The problem i have is i am not sure what i will be doing (if anything) or for how long. So how do i eat them back since it’s usually 8 or 9pm when i get in.

I have been having an Options hot choc drink (40 calories) and 2 weight watchers biscuits (99 calories) but this does not equate to an hours walk/swim. Any more food at that time of night can not be good...

I dont want to eat 200 extra calorie’s during the day, then get home, kids play up or other family crisis and not have time to exercise.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you overcome it....

I would be interested in any thoughts on this

Thanks

Diane

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I know My opinion is different to most I read, but why eat back what you just got rid of?
    Isn't that how we make progress?
    I just can see the sense,
    I mean no disrespect.

If you eat less and exercise more you have to lose weight.
    I guess if I was planning to eat after exercise it would have to be something natural and nutritious for my muscles. Some protein - meat or a boiled egg maybe. Probably not choc drinks or bikkies even it they are weight watchers.
    I'm sceptical of packaged food anyway....
    Good luck!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    The only suggestion I have is planning to exercise and have a little extra to make up for your planned exercise. If the plan doesn't happen, you won't feel guilty about going over by 200 or so, then can try again the next day. I eat right before bed all the time and it is a signifigant amount (3-4 eggs on toast)
    Mixing things up calorically may benefit you :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Why not eat them back the next day?

Weight loss is more of an accumulation over time than a daily thing anyway.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you must eat exercise calories, can you not just roll the cals over to tomorrow? And make sure it's healthy? Like lean meat, veggies or fruit.
  • MissOmi
    Options
    The point of eating back the exercise calories is to prevent your body from going into starvation mode. If that happens, then your body will store everything it can, and this will actually keep you from losing.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Can you look at your calorie goal as a weekly total? Try not to go over as a whole for the week, rather than each day. Maybe eat 100 or so extra calories each day (1300 total) and then log your exercise when you get a chance to do it. Try to make it even for the week.

If you have a smart phone this is easier as the weekly net report doesn't muck up like the one on here does - or you can just keep a mental track of it.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As kaetra suggested, eat them the next day - breakfast or lunch. If you are on a 1200 cals diet, I really support your decision of eating your exercise calories. Still, be sure that to be a correct number.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Why not eat them back the next day?

Weight loss is more of an accumulation over time than a daily thing anyway.

Precisely this.

Does not matter if you eat them the next day, just have a "bigger breakfast" the next day and there you go. This is not the PERFECT solution, but this is a good compromise.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat your calories if you already have had dinner? I think to eat back your calories means that if you didn't have enought to eat throught the day, you are welcome to have some more than what you normally are allowed because of your exercise.
    My opinion.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    That is a tricky one, but there shouldn't be a problem eating later at night, unless you have issues with reflux or similar. Contrary to the many diet myths around, it doesn't really make any difference when you eat, as long as you're not eating too much. I'd definitely be hungry after an hour's exercise anyway. How about something protein-based - a boiled egg, for example, and a banana (good for sleep, in any case!). Dairy is also traditionally helpful in getting to sleep - hot milk instead of (or in) your Options drink? Good for the bones as well! As others have said as well, it is cumulative, so you could just bump the calories forward to the next day if you're not hungry at that time of night.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Changed my mind
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I know My opinion is different to most I read, but why eat back what you just got rid of?
    I mean no disrespect.

There is science behind this, and technically you are right: "eat less, exercise more", but what do we mean by "eat less" (how much less?), and at what cost (on your health) will you lose this weight?
    I very much doubt that someone on 1200 cals a day, not eating his cals back can do a very demanding weight training program or run a marathon, thus it is bad for health.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think the first half of your loss you can not eat them or eat them... the first half is pretty easy either way... but for me, by the halfway point I upped my goal to come within 100-200 of my daily allowance so I could slide into maintenance at the end without a lot of problems.

The body really doesn't know it's midnight so if you want to balance your exercise calories out because you're at a place in your journey that it would help, then I'd just do it within 24 hours of "earning" the calories. I don't think the body cares if it's Monday or Tuesday... know what I mean?

As for if it's good to do it or not - for most people it is, while for a few it doesn't appear to be at this time, although only long-term success and transition to maintenance proves it one way or another. It's not the sort of thing that shows itself while you're doing it - it's more something that comes into play later - when it may be too late for those who choose against science and math on their journey. But that is a whole argument that belongs in a thread dedicated to arguing about it. THIS THREAD is about how to do it, so my answer it - within 24 hours is probably fine.
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    I think eating back calories is important if you are burning a lot, say over 500, but other than that I wouldn't really worry about it.

Or if you do want to do it by the book, why not just log your exercise the day after you have actually done it, 12 hours difference is not going to make a difference in the long run.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I mean no disrespect.

I guess if I was planning to eat after exercise it would have to be something natural and nutritious for my muscles. Some protein - meat or a boiled egg maybe. Probably not choc drinks or bikkies even it they are weight watchers.
    I'm sceptical of packaged food anyway....
    Good luck!

Never mind....
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    have a handful of nuts, or some peanut butter toast when you get in..
    or you could pre-log your exercise, but only eat half of those calories during the day, and save the other half for after your exercise. that way if you end up not exercising, you aren't over calories by much, and if you do exercise you dont have so much to make up before bed. honestly, eating before bed isnt a big deal unless you have reflux issues or something like that.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Actually, eating food late at night does not affect your weight loss at all. Eat whatever you want. Though, low cal hot chocs and weight watchers foods in general are very processed to get them so low calorie. Try something a little more wholesome every once in a while :-)
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU - very helpful

I like the idea of logging exercise the next day - that would work well for me

I must admit drink and biscuits not my ideal choice but i wasnt sure what else to have (protien is hard as i am veggie and eggs are a bit much to go to bed on)

I think there is merit in thinking of the week as a whole also...

Lots to ponder

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A dried fruit and nut mix is calorie rich and not much eating in a handful. Good snack.
  • mazp12
    mazp12 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    not sure f I am doing right thing or not but i save quite a lot of calories for snacks during evening right up to going to bed about midnight I will still be snacking and so far its not affected my weight loss !