Trouble Sleeping..HELP

Options
For sometime now I have had trouble sleeping for one reason or another I dont get a healthy amount of sleep. Have tried sleeping pills which had the worst side effects on me...Hot Tea, relaxations techniques..In a nutshell have tried many things. Do any of you have any tips on how to get a better nights rest. I know if I can get that some what under control it will help with my weight lose..Thank you in advance !

Replies

• MissMizzy
    Options
    Try falling asleep while listening to a hypnosis cd, or soft music. When I can't fall asleep, I turn on an episode of This American Life that doesn't sound very exciting, and I'm guaranteed to fall asleep within half an hour. Also, if I take a Tylenol PM, sometimes that helps too. Good luck!
  • walfrinba
    walfrinba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This might sound unorthodox but try working out about an hour before you go or try to go to bed. Preferably cardio in where your using your biggest muscles your legs to work. squats or cycling. Afterwards (bear with me) take a hot shower it always does the trick and i sleep like a baby.

Hope it helps

Wally
  • gailashton
    Options
    Wish I had an answer to this one for you. Unfortunately, I've been up since 1:00 this morning. Most nights though I don't have a problem sleeping, but every now and again..... ugh. I'm lucky in that I work at home, so I can get up, work then go back to bed if I'm tired, but most of the time I find that I just end up staying up. I also live 10 minutes from the gym that's open 24/7. If you work during that day though this can be a real dilema. Maybe try some melatonin or go to a natural health store, they may be able to help too. Good luck and hopefully this is just a temporary thing!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Read a book, something without a back-lit screen (tv, computer monitor)... run an audio-book or tune a dial radio between stations for static turn it low... I've heard the same chapter of an audio book for the last 4 nights because they "chopped" the chapters into weird lengths, this one is an hour and 30 minutes long and I never stay awake long enough to hear it all but tonight should get me through it ;)

Also have a look at if/when you're feeling tired in the evening, I "missed" my window of being tired tonight around 1030, if I'd been in bed around then I'm sure I'd have slept, but I got caught up in a book that I was so close to finishing I just had to finish it... now 4 hours later it's way past time to get to bed.
  • fourkids12
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful suggestions...going to give each of them a try and hopefully one works out great for me..
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sometimes going to be earlier can help - you can stay up too late- go past being sleepy and switch into 'day' mode again.

Work out a routine - one that winds you down- and stick to it for a few weeks. I think our bodies need clues about the time in order to set themselves up for sleep

I agree about the reading of something not back-lit. Nineteeth century novels - with their wonderful long sentences and slow plot development work particularly well. (If nothing else, you are improving your mind during what would otherwise be wasted time!)
    Good luck
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I like the hypnosis cd's as well, I also take Melatonin 30 minutes before I go to bed I make sure there is little to no light in my room as well. Melatonin is a naturally occurring chemical in the body that it makes when it is time to sleep. I used to have problems going to sleep. I could be SO tired, but once my head hit the pillow I was WIDE AWAKE. I would be awake for hours before I fell asleep, now that I take that on a regular basis I go home from work and am asleep with in 10-20 mins most nights.

I hope it is some help...
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    i had insomnia since I was 16 (I'm 29 now) until a few months ago when i started working out with regularity and forcing myself out of bed three to four hours before i would usually drag myself out. While its not always easy for me to drop off still, I am falling asleep earlier and I am sleeping for longer and mornings are just wonderful for me.

I had tried everything, teas, tablets (prescription and over the counter), massage, mediation, books, warm baths, oils, incense, if its supposed to relax you then i tried it.

I definiately reccomend some heavy cardio before bed and a hot/warm shower because thats how it started for me. Now I do my workouts in the morning and by aournd 9/10 Im about to drop off to sleep, certainly makes a change from the 2 - 3 - 4am bedtimes I saw all the time over the last 13 years.

My insomnia was cased in part by PTSD which I seem to have finally shaken off, once my mindset changed and I started doing the workouts and getting out of bed etc then everything just got better and easier to do. If there is an underlying reason behind your insomnia then you need to address that as well.
  • ElvnAngl
    Options
    I have a tendency to stay up until 2-3am in the morning so I'm not the best person I guess to answer this, but I find that certain things help me sleep:

having a warm bath (if possible)
    reading a book
    turning all the things such at TV and computers off at least 15 mins before I try and sleep
    not drinking caffeine after 7pm

hope some of these help you
  • adriennegurat
    Options
    Hi there! =) I actually work as a nurse in a hospital at a sleep clinic. I have a document written by one of our doctors on "sleep hygiene" that we give people who have a hard time with regular sleeping patterns. I'm not sure how much it'll help but there's some good information on it if you want it. I can message it to you or post on here if anyone else is interested. Just let me know!