How do you handle being sick/staying on track?

Options
I need to vent MFPers.... (isn't that part of what these boards are for?! haha)

I've been sick since the day after Thanksgiving. I was doing so well, planning for food/exercising regularly, etc and then... dun, dun, dun.... I got sick. I went to the Dr. right away was given antibiotics, but I've been fluctuating up and down getting better and worse all week. Anywho, the reason I need to vent is - this cold is leaving me feeling like I have no energy (which is normal), but because of that I'm not working out - I'm not driven to eat right because I really just want comfort food (which is strange because usually I have zero appetite when I'm not feeling so hot.) Hmm. I'm just irritated, because I know eventually it will pass, but I just want to stay on track! I just want to be healthy, energized, and moving on asap. Okay, I know... like the song says "you can't always get what you wannnnt" but geez this is annoying. Haha. I know what I should tell myself and motivation is usually not a problem for me, I just figured I'd see what the MFP community does when their in this situation. I hate being sick! Eek!

How do you guys handle having a cold when you're also on a routine of working out/eating right and it halts it for a bit?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I put exercise and eating to certain goals on the sideline, and rest. I don't log my food and don't push myself to exercise. Do that for a week, and worst case scenario is that you'll push back the day you meet your goal by one week. I'd rather that than feel EXTRA miserable while sick.
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    I had flu last week, and ate what I wanted as I think it's important to fuel your body to get better. I put on 1lb and have already lost it. Just try and sleep as much as possible too, that helps recovery.

Also once I felt better I wanted to run again, but still had nagging cough so I opted for just walking, it was great.

Hope you get back to your normal self soon :)
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've been sick for the last 3 days now. I have no appetite at all, but I am trying to eat somethings. As for working out. I am just giving my body a rest. Yes I felt bad about not exercising and felt like if i don't exercise I will gain, but I with no energy there is no way to work out. And as people say your body needs a rest. So I am giving the rest to my body and directing all my energy on getting better. Once I recover I will get back on track.
    So just rest , and hope you feel better soon.
  • Mjolner
    Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I basically rest. I don't exercise and don't log anything. I walk/work/sit/lay around feeling guilty about it until I am ready to return to working out. I am contious about calories, but I don't log them. I am just back from loosing two weeks recovering from a cold, but have a tendency to over do things the first few days after determining I am well, so I am carefull these days, so I don't put myself right back in the "sickbed".
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Don't maintain your normal exercise levels, your body needs its energy to fight the virus.
  • Anweena
    Anweena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd say your body needs rest. Part of why you are tired is that your body is using resources to get you well. Pushing yourself to exercise could delay the healing process
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for soups when I'm ill as they're low calorie, easy to eat and (for me anyway!) comfort food. I don't worry about pushing myself exercise-wise as it'll only prolong the illness. If you feel up to it a walk around the block is a good way to get out of the house, get some fresh air and keep muscles moving (obviously there's no big calorie burn but that's probably not what your body needs).

Hope you feel better soon and can get back to exercising how you want.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Dont exercise and feed your body with loads of warming food like broths and chicken soup, Porridge with honey and fresh fruit. It will help you to feel better. Awwww I hope you feel much better very very soon :O) x
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I didn't stay on track.... My entire family was sick before/during thanksgiving and they were kind enough to share! I was sick last weekend and only ate chicken noodle soup, ice cream and sprites for 3 days. I did manage to get in one run and watch an entire season of NCIS:happy: When I went to the doctor on Friday he said me running the 5 miler Turkey Trot probably helped me from getting as sick as the rest of the clan!
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    in the past i often wanted to eat crap when i felt crappy - but i have tried to just give myself a break with exercise and eat a lot of nutrients that my body needs to recover. i also am trying to be better about taking an actual sick day when im sick (i NEVER do this), and i don't even need the whole day, but if i take the sick day, i can at least sleep in for as long as my body needs to, and then get up and do low key work at home. extra sleep is REALLY good for your body when it's sick... and the more you sleep, the fewer hours your awake to eat ;) try to get some low cal soups and some oatmeal and have a normal dinner. that seems to work the best for me :) and always always lots of WATER!!!

rest up! it will pass and you will be on FIRE again! :)