Its Amazing How You Can Feel!

Options
Susay2942
Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
Its Amazing How Great You Can Feel; Just walking 30 minutes a day, away from everyone and everything. You have that 30 minutes to clear your head of all the stress and worries that come with today's life styles. You have that 30 minutes to walk off a few calories. You have that 30 minutes to pump up your endorphins and feel good :)

How does your 30 minutes a day change you????

Replies

• sandrahover
    sandrahover Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So true!! And so hard to make people that don't do it understand that! lol :happy:
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use my 30 minutes (walking to work) to listen to radio plays on my MP3 player. In the UK the BBC Radio 4 station has 3 or 4 plays every week. These generally last 30-60 minutes, so I have plenty to choose from.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Walking is when I come up with my best ideas. I become very creative when I escape onto the treadmill. :smile:
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I just like the time away from everything. 30 minutes of wandering thoughts is an excellent restorative.
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best therapy, the fresh air, nature, seeing the world we rush through everyday ~

I find it exercises me mentally & emotionally more than anything,..the calorie burn is a bonus.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I like to read...(on treadmill/elliptical). It's so easy to lose myself in a book... makes exercise FLY by!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    YOU time is important time. I always urge people to have it or else they will go nuts! When I'm out and about on a run/walk I "fix" all the thoughts in my head.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is how i started-- just walking. I find making yourself go outside more motivating and easier to get your goals going up.

i started by picking a direction, any direction, and walking as hard as i could for just 15 minutes... by doing so, i ENSURED that i really had to walk at least 30 minutes because once youve started, you really have no choice but to finish just to get back home.

in only 3 months, ive moved from doing that, and being totally drained and hurting at the begining struggling to keep a 3 mph pace , to laughing off 4-5 miles holding now a 4.3 mph pace.

i recomend NOOM, on android phone platforms while walking as it will let you play your music, and at intervals give you updates on Miles walked, miles per hour, and calories burned... (the calories burned is probably suspect but it DOES also have the ability to hook up to the polar HRM via bluetooth for total accuracy) i find that simply having it track how fast im going motivating to me, lets me know when im letting off a little too much and when i need to pick up the pace
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When I don't have other workouts planned, I go for a lunchtime walk. I work in Central London in an overly heated office. During my walk I see fabulous architecture - Smithfield Market, St Paul's Cathedral, the Millennium Bridge, Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, the Tower of London, the near-complete Shard... you name it.

More importantly, as I cross any bridge over the Thames, I see the sky open up horizon to horizon. Even this time of year the colour changes from slate grey to deep cerulean blue depending on the weather.

There's also a surprising amount of wildlife - today I saw squirrels in St Paul's courtyard and a pied wagtail on the bridge.

Beat that for a cure for the Winter Blues!
  • Susay2942
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the Android Tip... Im gonna try it!:happy:
  • Susay2942
    Options
    This is how i started-- just walking. I find making yourself go outside more motivating and easier to get your goals going up.

i started by picking a direction, any direction, and walking as hard as i could for just 15 minutes... by doing so, i ENSURED that i really had to walk at least 30 minutes because once youve started, you really have no choice but to finish just to get back home.

in only 3 months, ive moved from doing that, and being totally drained and hurting at the begining struggling to keep a 3 mph pace , to laughing off 4-5 miles holding now a 4.3 mph pace.

i recomend NOOM, on android phone platforms while walking as it will let you play your music, and at intervals give you updates on Miles walked, miles per hour, and calories burned... (the calories burned is probably suspect but it DOES also have the ability to hook up to the polar HRM via bluetooth for total accuracy) i find that simply having it track how fast im going motivating to me, lets me know when im letting off a little too much and when i need to pick up the pace
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the Android Tip... Im gonna try it!:happy:

It also has a calorie counter option and a few other features that are there... i dont use them, the calorie counter application is a pure joke compared to MFP.. Endomondo is also good, but unless they updated it recently, the free version did not have the "status updates" that i like so much, it would only update you at set intervals like 1 mile or so, plus no update on MPH, altho, it would display it on screen the entire time, but id rather just have it call it off to me so i can focus on the sights rather than my phone.
  • carolyn3572
    Options
    I started walking during my lunch break in August. I was feeling so low and had no energy. Now if I can't get out and walk I feel lost. I use my time to memorize music for a drum corps I march in. It is a great opportunity to focus on just one thing at a time. I can listen to the songs on my ipod and go over my parts in my head...a win win situation :)
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When I don't have other workouts planned, I go for a lunchtime walk. I work in Central London in an overly heated office. During my walk I see fabulous architecture - Smithfield Market, St Paul's Cathedral, the Millennium Bridge, Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, the Tower of London, the near-complete Shard... you name it.

More importantly, as I cross any bridge over the Thames, I see the sky open up horizon to horizon. Even this time of year the colour changes from slate grey to deep cerulean blue depending on the weather.

There's also a surprising amount of wildlife - today I saw squirrels in St Paul's courtyard and a pied wagtail on the bridge.

Beat that for a cure for the Winter Blues!

I'm SO jealous of your walk. London is such a gorgeous city. I loved just walking around and getting lost... :love:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!