Oregon- Menu-labeling bill

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
Ore. committee advances menu-labeling bill
Associated Press - April 28, 2009 3:25 AM ET

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon House committee approved a bill that would require chain restaurants to post calorie counts on menus and reader boards.

If the bill passes the full House and then the Senate, Oregon would become the second state after California to adopt such a standard.

House Bill 2726 advanced through the Human Services Committee on a party-line vote, with the Democrats in favor and all the Republicans opposed.

Rep. Michael Dembrow, a Portland Democrat, says the legislation modeled on a Multnomah County ordinance could lead to a reduction in obesity and chronic illnesses.

Oregon Restaurant Association lobbyist Bill Perry says his group opposes the policy for cost reasons, and a lack of evidence that it will improve public health.

Information from: The Register-Guard, http://www.registerguard.com

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.ing

I was hoping for Oregon to be the next state! :love:

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ore. committee advances menu-labeling bill
    Associated Press - April 28, 2009 3:25 AM ET

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon House committee approved a bill that would require chain restaurants to post calorie counts on menus and reader boards.

If the bill passes the full House and then the Senate, Oregon would become the second state after California to adopt such a standard.

House Bill 2726 advanced through the Human Services Committee on a party-line vote, with the Democrats in favor and all the Republicans opposed.

Rep. Michael Dembrow, a Portland Democrat, says the legislation modeled on a Multnomah County ordinance could lead to a reduction in obesity and chronic illnesses.

Oregon Restaurant Association lobbyist Bill Perry says his group opposes the policy for cost reasons, and a lack of evidence that it will improve public health.

Information from: The Register-Guard, http://www.registerguard.com

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.ing

I was hoping for Oregon to be the next state! :love:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    That is great!! Dang it, I am from Oregon but live across the country now!! :grumble: :grumble:

Enjoy that!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ALL STATES SHOULD DO THIS!!!
    What a great thing!
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    That is great!! Dang it, I am from Oregon but live across the country now!! :grumble: :grumble:

Enjoy that!! :flowerforyou:
    tam where in Oregon? that is where I am from.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE IT IF TEXAS WOULD DO THIS!!!! It would be so helpful! Make you think twice. Oregon is always so progressive.