Weighing Meat

Options
When one is weighing meat, are you supposed to use the before cooked weight or after cooked weight?

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    When one is weighing meat, are you supposed to use the before cooked weight or after cooked weight?
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have always thought it's after...because liquid get's cooked out of it....

Anyone else???
  • lmdavis804
    Options
    I always weigh it after I cook it.
  • chandhole
    chandhole Posts: 45
    Options
    i'm extra curious and do both but use the after for mfp.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think it's uncooked. If you look at the nutrition info on a pound of pre-made hamburger patties- it will tell you the info for 4oz meat, 4 servings in the pack.

I hope this helps.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    before
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I've always done before too....
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I weight mine before as well.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Why is before more accurate? Just wondering. I have read articles on both.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I have always done before. I guess if you do one or the other, just keep doing the same thing. I mean, Tam, it really seemed to mess with your (AWESOME!) weight loss. Right? :laugh:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I have always done before. I guess if you do one or the other, just keep doing the same thing. I mean, Tam, it really seemed to mess with your (AWESOME!) weight loss. Right? :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: True!

I guess I had results weighing after! :wink:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options

For sure! :wink:
    But I think it has to do with how the meat is cooked. If it's more well done or less, it would change the weight. So if you weigh before, you eliminate that variable.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    I do it after (1) so as not to contaminate my scale and (2) because the calories I am consuming are "cooked weight" not raw weight - unless it's steak tartare.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I do it after (1) so as not to contaminate my scale and (2) because the calories I am consuming are "cooked weight" not raw weight - unless it's steak tartare.

I guess the contamination would make sense if you have a scale in which the measuring bowl part does not detach. Mine has a plastic bowl that comes off, so I generally zero out a plate and throw my meat on there. However, I agree that once you cook it, you're going to get varying weights depending on how well it's done. Also, as was previously pointed out, the nutritional information is generally stated in raw units of measure. I think that's the only way to be completely consistent but I honestly don't think the weight of it changes THAT much that it would kill your diet. Now I think I'll have to try this out the next time I cook meat!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    For some reason I thought it was always weighed before. At least I think that's how restaurants do it.