Top Five in Pittsburgh

Replies

• Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Fat Head's rules all.

The best pizza in town is DiSalla's in Munhall. It's all about the sauce. Their sauce has a little bit of a spicy kick to it. Not "set your face on fire" spicy, but just flavorful spicy. Great stuff.

And for the life of me, I don't get the appeal of Vincent's, Aiello's or Mineo's. They're all very ordinary to me, and Vincent's is just plain bland.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I love Pita Pit when I'm eating healthy for lunch, but they're more of a chain aren't they?

I'm addicted to Thai Me Up in the southside like a junkie.

McCoy's subs in the southside is great too. The Double Wide Grill has good food and is a fun place to go. Also on the southside.

Ok I pretty much go to the southside for everything...:embarassed:
  • Fat Head's rules all.

The best pizza in town is DiSalla's in Munhall. It's all about the sauce. Their sauce has a little bit of a spicy kick to it. Not "set your face on fire" spicy, but just flavorful spicy. Great stuff.

And for the life of me, I don't get the appeal of Vincent's, Aiello's or Mineo's. They're all very ordinary to me, and Vincent's is just plain bland.

I think Vincent's sucks. It's all grease. I ordered from there once. There was a pile of grease on the top of it and it actually seeped through the paper and stained the seat on my car.

Plus, Vinny is gross to look at. I don't want him touching my food lol
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 929 Member
    He died last year.
    I shop at the Aldi's near Danny's pizza, but have only been in there once.
    You a South Hillser, too? I live near the Papa John's by South Park.

neat how many landmarks are food places... :drinker:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Primanti's tops any list of course. Big Jims is a great second! someone mentioned Vincent's .. did I hear he recently passed? I used to LOVE his pizzas, but haven't had one in probably 20 years. what a fun topic

Yeah, Vincent passed away a few years ago. :sad: The pizza is still scrumptious but not *quite* as good as when he made it!
  • scapez
    Vincent's is just plain bland.

There is something wrong with you!! :laugh:
  • scapez
    I think Vincent's sucks.

Ack!!! :noway: :laugh:
  • scapez
    For any of you that aren't aware, there's a Pittsburgh Pride group...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/59-pittsburgh-pride
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Hey, check out Ephesus restaurant downtown, its a turkish place, unbelievable pizza, they make little personal pizza's i think are great!
  • For any of you that are fans of Italian, I think the best is Pasta Too in South Park. They have by far the best veal parm and fettucini alfredo. The alfredo is sooooo rich and creamy, you can only eat a few bites, which means there are lots to take home! The protion sizes are huge so although the price point is higher than almost all the places people have listed it is well worth it.

Rowdy's BBQ on 51 near Brentwood Plaza has incredible BBQ and fries. An order of fries is so enormous that they come in a paper bag.

The Hot Metal Diner has the best breakfast burrito. It is the size of my forearm and the coffee there is amazing because it is freshly ground right there in the diner.

As any true connoisseur of slob food will agree, large portion size are a must!

I agree that Fiori's has incredible pizza if you are a fan of a sweeter sauce. But Danny's is the best if you do not prefer a sweeter sauce.

Still looking for the best mexican in the area. This is definately a type of food that is not in abundance in Pittsburgh, especially not Mom and Pop style mexican. If anybody knows of any, please share.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,069 Member
    He died last year.
    I shop at the Aldi's near Danny's pizza, but have only been in there once.
    You a South Hillser, too? I live near the Papa John's by South Park.

neat how many landmarks are food places... :drinker:

Yep. I love the South Hills. In the spirit of your reply and this thread, I live near Armstrong's. :tongue:

Speaking of which has an awesome meatball calzone
  • MFPAddict
    For any of you that are fans of Italian, I think the best is Pasta Too in South Park. They have by far the best veal parm and fettucini alfredo. The alfredo is sooooo rich and creamy, you can only eat a few bites, which means there are lots to take home! The protion sizes are huge so although the price point is higher than almost all the places people have listed it is well worth it.

Rowdy's BBQ on 51 near Brentwood Plaza has incredible BBQ and fries. An order of fries is so enormous that they come in a paper bag.

The Hot Metal Diner has the best breakfast burrito. It is the size of my forearm and the coffee there is amazing because it is freshly ground right there in the diner.

As any true connoisseur of slob food will agree, large portion size are a must!

I agree that Fiori's has incredible pizza if you are a fan of a sweeter sauce. But Danny's is the best if you do not prefer a sweeter sauce.

Still looking for the best mexican in the area. This is definately a type of food that is not in abundance in Pittsburgh, especially not Mom and Pop style mexican. If anybody knows of any, please share.

I have never been to Pasta Too but the place always looks busy when I am driving by. Will have to check it out sometime.

I do enjoy a sweet sauce which is why I favor Fiore's and Mineo's.

And I don't know how many times I passed Rowdy's and thought about stopping but didn't. I need to stop sometime soon.
  • MFPAddict
    For any of you that aren't aware, there's a Pittsburgh Pride group...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/59-pittsburgh-pride

Thanks for sharing. :)
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Vincent's is just plain bland.

There is something wrong with you!! :laugh:

Well, obviously. But I DO know a good pizza when I see one. :P
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    Hey, check out Ephesus restaurant downtown, its a turkish place, unbelievable pizza, they make little personal pizza's i think are great!

I used to be the nightshift doorman at the downtown Hilton hotel (which is no longer a Hilton). I'd recommend Ephesus to all the guests and in exchange they'd provide me with dinner on a nightly basis.

That was probably 5 years ago.. I think I'm still working off the chicken strips.
  • MFPAddict

I believe we had their pizza once for a work party. Was good if it is the right pizza.
  • I also live near Armstrongs and love their steak salad which can definately qualify as supreme slob food since it has fries, melted cheese and sauteed veggies in it. I have also had their calzones which are great and their desserts are fantastic, around this time of year they sometimes have a carrot cake cheesecake.
  • MFPAddict
    I also live near Armstrongs and love their steak salad which can definately qualify as supreme slob food since it has fries, melted cheese and sauteed veggies in it. I have also had their calzones which are great and their desserts are fantastic, around this time of year they sometimes have a carrot cake cheesecake.

I have never considered going to a restaurant and ordering a grilled cheese, but I know a few people that swear by Armstrong's grilled cheese sandwich.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member

The Franklin Inn - great mexican and fabulous Margaritas
    http://franklininn.net/
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member

It's not a Mom and Pop place--in fact, it's a Pennsylvania chain--but I love Mad Mex. I can't stand when I'm in Philly though and they call it "Mad 4 Mex." That's a cactus, not a number four. Jesus.
    -wtk