How hard is it...?

Options
With the holidays here I'm seeing this huge bump in posts about how hard it is. You know the sort.

It's so hard to work out when the days are so short.

It's so hard to stay on track with all the holiday treats.

It's so hard to feel motivated at this time of year.

It's so hard when the scale doesn't move.............

A couple years ago I started this journey after nearly a decade of everything being "too hard". I had gained over a hundred pounds. My muscles shrank to nothing from being sedentary. I broke into a sweat if i had to put my shoes on. I was a pack and a half a day smoker, and probably a third of my body weight was bourbon. Then something happened in my chest. Here are some other "too hards".

It's too hard to hear a siren with your name on it.

It's too hard to look at the frown on the doctor watching the EKG tape.

It's too hard to lie on the gurney as the fallen white whale of the moment.

It's too hard being a statistic.

Not to be self-righteous. I own what I did to myself. I own it and I'll pay for it. I accept that.

But, I'll never be in that place again. And I'm just wishing for all the younger, brighter than me people to avoid that waking up day. Don't do it to yourself. Because even by then, by the time you fix things up, it's really too late in many ways. You need to get it done now. You need to live it right now.

So, I have to ask all the "too hard" dwellers, how hard is it to want to live? It's really just that simple. How hard is it to want to live? Doesn't that kind of bury all the other nonsense? Get your game on before you're a mean, old, broken *kitten*-hat like I am.

Replies

• AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. In my case it was:

It's so hard to hear your husband has blood sugars in the 300's
    It's so hard to realize your daughter is 100 lbs overweight because of your bad example
    It's so hard to be hospitalized because of breathing issues.
    It's so hard to be put on oxygen because you can't keep your O2 levels up.
    It's so hard to have to listen to the doctor tell you you aren't getting off until you lose the weight.

What isn't hard is being able to move on my own without pain. Being able to walk a mile without my back killing me. Heck, I couldn't even walk half a mile before. What isn't hard is enjoying life because your health is improving and so is the health of those you love.

I wish I had gotten off my butt and made these changes years ago. But I'm moving forward now!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. In my case it was:

It's so hard to hear your husband has blood sugars in the 300's
    It's so hard to realize your daughter is 100 lbs overweight because of your bad example
    It's so hard to be hospitalized because of breathing issues.
    It's so hard to be put on oxygen because you can't keep your O2 levels up.
    It's so hard to have to listen to the doctor tell you you aren't getting off until you lose the weight.

What isn't hard is being able to move on my own without pain. Being able to walk a mile without my back killing me. Heck, I couldn't even walk half a mile before. What isn't hard is enjoying life because your health is improving and so is the health of those you love.

I wish I had gotten off my butt and made these changes years ago. But I'm moving forward now!

God bless you. Keep going. =)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I've never been at the point where my weight has put me in immediate danger, thankfully. It is a shame that so many people have to get to this point before turning it around.

Great post, and I hope it provides some inspiration for people to start, or to keep moving! Almost sticky worthy this one!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I'm sorry it took that extreme for you to do something about it but it's so good to hear from someone who has listened to their wake up call.

I seem to be surrounded by people who are 'too busy', 'too tired' etc. I'm the busiest person I know and I manage to exercise every day. I'm on the go (almost) non stop and I do not require 11 hours sleep in order to function. Get over it people, suck it up and do it!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    nice post
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This is a great reminder, I hope lots of people read this.

The problem, as I see it, is that we have to trade off immediate gratification (that strawberry cupcake tastes good......) for our long term health and enjoyment (I am going to live long and prosper!)

It is so much easier to enjoy the moment (mmmm... strawberry goooooooo) than some vague hope of being healthier somewhere down the track.

The real lesson for me about losing weight is that it isn't something you do and then forget about. You have to be aware of the choices you are making and have to think past that moment of sweet , instant satisfaction.

Now I'm trying to get my rush from an endorphin high and the feeling of satisfaction knowing that I ran for TEN MILES! on the weekend.

It is hard, so thank you for the reminder that there are much harder things in store if we don't make changes now.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • oceanbreeze1025
    oceanbreeze1025 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reality check Brett. I am one of those that has been mentally complaining of how hard it has been these past few weeks and I gained 2 lbs back....I needed a kick in the butt to remind me.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Nicely said as always. :)
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Awesome post - great reality check. I've never been to the point of any kind of medical condition due to my weight but want to be healthy & fit before I'm too old to enjoy it...

If being fit and healthy was EASY, everyone would be thin and in shape :tongue:
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    With the holidays here I'm seeing this huge bump in posts about how hard it is. You know the sort.

A couple years ago I started this journey after nearly a decade of everything being "too hard". I had gained over a hundred pounds. My muscles shrank to nothing from being sedentary. I broke into a sweat if i had to put my shoes on. I was a pack and a half a day smoker, and probably a third of my body weight was bourbon. Then something happened in my chest. Here are some other "too hards".

Not to be self-righteous. I own what I did to myself. I own it and I'll pay for it. I accept that.

But, I'll never be in that place again. And I'm just wishing for all the younger, brighter than me people to avoid that waking up day. Don't do it to yourself. Because even by then, by the time you fix things up, it's really too late in many ways. You need to get it done now. You need to live it right now.

So, I have to ask all the "too hard" dwellers, how hard is it to want to live? It's really just that simple. How hard is it to want to live? Doesn't that kind of bury all the other nonsense? Get your game on before you're a mean, old, broken *kitten*-hat like I am.

Amen Brett!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options

Inspirational words right there. Thankyou and good luck on your journey.

Cheers
  • hewwokitty
    hewwokitty Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post. Reminds me of a lot of my days. Just awesome.

Here's my motavation:

It's hard to be the siren with somebody's name on it.
    It's hard wondering if you're strong enough to help.
    It's hard praying that you'll have the power to fix what needs fixed.

None of these are 'too' hard. I won't let being lazy stop me from working out enough to become the toughest female out there! :laugh: I hope I can be the 'younger, brighter' person out there!

Bump, bump bump for you.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    Great post. I am glad you are in a better place now.

I have seen it said this way before: It's hard being fat, miserable, out of shape, and unhealthy. It's also hard to commit to proper nutrition and working out. CHOOSE your "hard."

Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • tritt86
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I hope many others will read this post as well. :smile:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Love this post, Brett! And I love how amazing our human bodies are and how quickly they respond when we start eating healthy foods and moving. It's so cool when you see each week how much more your body can do than it did the week before. :)

You're a great MFP friend and have been an inspiration to many of us here!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    People just need to realize how much better it is to live than to be somewhere else....

I had major surgery last year and this year is a total turn around..... we need to remember our blessings....
  • Strobins05
    Options
    AWESOME! Love this post! I just came from my doctor visit this morning and all was great news! Two months ago, not so much! My blood pleasure was 160/100! Scared the mess out of me! Coming from a family with health issues and me not taking care of my body really sent me in the "Get your **** together mood" PERIOD!

We all have excuses and I am woman enough to stand up to mine. I just know there comes a time when we just got to be mature and responsible adults! That is one thing lacking in all of our lives whether we want to admit it or not. Too many want to live like pre-teens and not do the right thing until it is too late. Those days are over for me! Thanks for sharing and good luck to you on this journey we have called a healthy life! Tootles!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Awesome post - great reality check. I've never been to the point of any kind of medical condition due to my weight but want to be healthy & fit before I'm too old to enjoy it...

If being fit and healthy was EASY, everyone would be thin and in shape :tongue:
    Kudos to you!
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post! You just made me cry! Cuz of my "too hards" and a doctor in residency that spent 3 hours with my in August it turned me a round. Though I am not a smoker or a drinker, I was lazy, I did not think I cared, I was sedentary, I was depressed and very lonely. He told me nothing that no one else has said to me over the last 5 years. Maybe it was time, maybe it was how he said it or that he took his time talking to me, or the fact he just cared. With my sugars on an average over 400, an A1C of 10 and blood pressure of 180/125 that day, something clicked. Part of this weight loss was because of diabetes. It was not my doing but how sick my body was. Since that day I have worked out almost everyday. I have made the biggest most consistent changes in my life that I have ever tried to do. I have kept with it. I have more energy. I am not longer a negative person. I smile and I feel good.

This is the one thing in my life that is ALL about ME! I go back to that day in August, to that doctor in residency that cared enough to talk to me for 3 hours, who cared enough about that stranger in the room he would never see again, to save her life.

It is no longer TOO HARD!

Thank you to bringing home the realities to many of us, and to the future of others if they do not give in to the too hards. Nothing is too hard if you are living, truly living!!! Silently dying is not living.