Stretchmarks

Options
Stretchmarks, we all hate them!! I've got them from pregnancy and weight gain. Does anyone know how to make them fade or just go away??

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    In time mine faded.
    I have like literally ONE stretch mark but it is a whopper of a stretch mark...I mean its like the boss of bosses stretchmark on my lower abs. If you were to look at me, its still there but not as much as when I first had my son or even a few years after.
    The ones on the underside of my breasts are actually more noticeable now because the girls shrunk ALOT.
    I dunno, I'm kinda proud of them...cuz I'm a mother.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    <sigh> nothing for it but time then? That stinks. Mine are all silvery, & stick out like crazy. The cellulite's pretty nasty too. I don't know what to do. I think I had less cellulite BEFORE I started losing weight.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is NOTHING that will make them go away forever, at least without surgery of some sort. It's just a fact of life.
    They will fade over time, but will not disappear. The important thing is now you're getting healthier!
  • mbw2586
    Options
    In time mine faded.
    I have like literally ONE stretch mark but it is a whopper of a stretch mark...I mean its like the boss of bosses stretchmark on my lower abs. If you were to look at me, its still there but not as much as when I first had my son or even a few years after.
    The ones on the underside of my breasts are actually more noticeable now because the girls shrunk ALOT.
    I dunno, I'm kinda proud of them...cuz I'm a mother.

I wish I could repeat this last statement and mean it. I hear people say similar things, and it makes me feel as if I'm a bad mother for not agreeing. But, I have a lot, in a lot of places, so I suppose it's different than just have a slight few.

I do know that time has faded them, and I was afraid that losing weight would make them look worse. I don't know why. However, it's seemed to do the opposite. So, while there is no miracle cream or treatment (and I think I've researched everything. This took over my life after my first child.) it does improve a bit. You just have to accept yourself for who you are and why you got them, and move on. Nobody wants to hear that though! This topic is my biggest struggle. If you find a miracle, please share :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    At least you women have a valid excuse for them.

Us blokes don't :(
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The majority of mine are in the chest area. I developed a bit faster than I should have growing up, and now all around there are stretch marks. They're silvery lines at this point, and that's about all they ever faded to. Though mine look like that from the start. Weird.
  • dixiejeep
    dixiejeep Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    the tanner you get the faster they fade :)
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Most of mine are stating to go now that I am loosing weight but some will never go!! Mine go all the way down from my daughters birth and I don't think those will ever go away!! I'm just glad that they arent purple anymore but I will never be able to wear a bikini in public!
  • sleafers
    sleafers Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've learned that they fade faster if you keep them moisturized... I've also heard bio oil can do wonders, but I've never tried it...
  • lovelylovebug
    lovelylovebug Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I head stretch marks are genetic... did anybody else hear that? I was REALLY disappointed when I heard that, seeing as my mom got bad stretch marks when she was pregnant!!
  • taraw0503
    taraw0503 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I believe Mederma now has a stretch mark cream.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    the tanner you get the faster they fade :)

and the quicker you look like an old leather handbag.

I love my stretchmarks...take me for who I am or do one.

They only fade with the years but will never go away.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use an nice body oil and if you tone the muscles in the area and tan it helps! I know my mom had a cream that she used for scars and stretch marks that worked like magic. I'll check with her and post what it was tonight or tomorrow!
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    Most of mine are stating to go now that I am loosing weight but some will never go!! Mine go all the way down from my daughters birth and I don't think those will ever go away!! I'm just glad that they arent purple anymore but I will never be able to wear a bikini in public!

Oh why not.
    For one thing, they will continue to fade. For another, the silvery ones aren't that obtrusive-- you probably notice them more than others do. And most importantly-- who really cares? No one has a "perfect" body, and stretch marks are nothing to be embarrassed about. On the contrary!
  • jmbuche
    Options
    My friend had a baby boy about a year ago and had stretch marks terrible and her doctor recommened that she use Mederma and the stretch marks slowly but surely have gone away. She swears by it now. I have stretch marks as well because my family has huge hips and we all develop them when we're younger and body butter and cocoa butter have always worked for me I'm actually to the point where I don't tan very well so I'm going to start using Mederma! Hope that helps!
  • scadoodles
    scadoodles Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I crash dieted a few years ago and got really bad stretch marks from diuretic over-use... I had lost and gained weight way to fast and .... BOOM! Stretch marks!

What I have tried and feel works really well is using "amlactin" its a lotion you can get at Walmart and Walgreens that has alpha-hydroxy acid in it that helps sluff and shed skin faster and If you look into stretch marks and read up a lot of people reccomend a lotion like that, and I personally like it and think it's worked...and I also use baby oil gel in the shower to help re moisturize my skin and thats helped the elasticity. I have tried coco butter etc...but it hasnt worked for me, my skin is too dry. So try those! GL!!
  • alxndr33
    Options
    Vit E will do wonders (I'm pretty sure it's the key ingredient in Mederma but, don't hold me to that) if they're relatively new (< 1 year). The cheapest thing to do would be to get some vitamin gel caps, break them open and massage them into the scar. I worked in a PT clinic for about a year and this is what we recommended for all of our patients - and it really did wonders.

Another option is Elta (sp?) gel. I was a burn victim and had severe facial scarring and the doctors recommended it. It certainly worked as noone would ever tell I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over my face.

The key with both of these is diligence. Scars mature over a year's time and the key is to keep them moisturized early on. So as soon as they start looking dry, go ahead and add some more Vit E (or Elta). You should notice a difference within 2-3 weeks.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I just asked my MFP friends that today.. They all said no :(