Weight lifting calories burned

Options
I'm not sure how to estimate how many calories I burn while weight lifting. How can this be best estimated? I'm having trouble trusting this website, but only because I have nothing to standardize with.

Replies

• applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The best way is with a heart rate monitor, which I am assuming you don't have. If you put weight training in cardiovascular section it comes up with an estimate of what you are burning. Every person is so different with weights though, how much you weigh, how much you lift, how long you lift etc.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor is your best bet. I don't really burn much at all when I lift weights.
  • CurlyQTee
    Options
    I noticed that too. I believe I am burning way more then what the site says. My heart rate and sweat says I do. :)
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here is my upper body routine... everything is 3 sets of 12 reps with only a 30 second break in between

dumbbell bench
    alternating biceps curls
    lat pull downs
    triceps skull crushers
    dumbbell chest flies
    seated rows
    straight bar curls
    triceps push downs (machine)
    olympic bar shoulder press
    abs
  • CurlyQTee
    Options
    I take it you are doing lighter weights. I believe you are burning more but they cant really prove that based on ones body. I would just keep doing what you are and try not to get frustrated. You know when you have a good work out. I know when I do.
  • springfarrell
    springfarrell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try estimating using one of the "calories burned based on heart rate" calculators that you can find online. If you check your heart rate in between a few of your sets you'll have a good idea (I count beats in 15 seconds and multiply by 4 to get bpm). It will likely still be a low estimate, but better than the few calories burned shown in the MFP database.
  • Alethea_OnAMission
    Options
    I agree with the others. I just purchased a HRM and I have been getting the most accurate reading of calories burned.
  • HelpClaireMelt
    Options
    I use the tracker under weight training. Knowing that it is not accurate it only accounts for the actual time spent weight training , But since muscle continues to burn fat and calories all day long its impossible to really know how much. Aerobic actitivy only continues to burn for a little time after finished.
    I love doing both but always love knowing that the muscle Ive built and maintained is what will propel me through a difficult time or feast and allow me to bounce back much faster.