Water fasting

Options
So, I heard of this interesting craze and I know some people who do it, but in moderation. For instance, water fast for one day, or two days straight. Is there actually any benefits to this what so ever, or should it be avoided at all costs.

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure if you're only taking in water or if you're fasting from water but either way there are no benefits!!! Im glad you're asking, that is what we're here for!!!
  • _JPH_
    _JPH_ Posts: 25
    Options
    I heard it gives the body time to clean dead cells instead of processing calories.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have fasted several times (for up to 2 weeks at one point) but any benefits you think you get are very short-lived. I would not recommend it for weight loss as it can be a slippery slope to disordered eating behaviours. If you just want to feel good for a social event then I don't think it is such a big deal.
  • mrsamyhicks
    Options
    Bump.... inquiring minds.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've been water fasting now for two whole hours! I feel great! ;-)
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would pass out if I did this.......I can't imagine.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I am saying this with the utmost compassion, but this scares me to see. I believe you just posted something yesterday about ED's, so to see you now post about water fasting makes me a little concerned. I don't believe any kind of fasting is a healthy way to lost weight long term, and I do not profess to have a great knowledge of eating disorders. But this sets off a lot of red flags. Please be careful.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Remember the key element to health...moderation. Anything in excess is not healthy.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I heard it gives the body time to clean dead cells instead of processing calories.

:huh: I think our bodies is pretty efficient at "cleaning" dead cells and processing calories...at the same time, give it some credit. In fact, what you do you think fuels cell turn-over?

I always thought of fasting as spiritual thing, not particularly for weight loss, what are you trying to accomplish?
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A grape fast of 3 days is actually much more effective. It really cleans out your system. You can look it up but mainly you want dark grapes with seeds and drink plenty of water as well. You will get a lot more vitamin benifits and cleansing benefits from a grape fast.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    It's about as effective as going on a fried chicken only diet.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A grape fast of 3 days is actually much more effective. It really cleans out your system. You can look it up but mainly you want dark grapes with seeds and drink plenty of water as well. You will get a lot more vitamin benifits and cleansing benefits from a grape fast.

Grapes are woefully low in fiber, so I have no idea how they could effectively clean one's system. Water is great, but on its own will not "cleanse" the way the body needs.

We need fiber and water to do that. Give your body what it needs and there's no reason to do anything crazy. As someone else said, our bodies are very effective at doing what they need to do.
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's about as effective as going on a fried chicken only diet.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    It has been shown in many empirical, scientific studies that fasting can improve health and help to eliminate a variety of diseases. Although some fasting methods use juice or various amounts of food, the health of such methods is questionable, according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman. A true fast, he contends, consists of an intake solely of water, and can last (healthily) for extended periods of time when undertaken with the correct knowledge. Any fasts of such nature should be preceded and followed by a healthy diet, and should also be supervised by a knowledgeable physician to make sure that deficiencies of any nutrients do not take place and detract from the healthful benefits of such a fast.

*Fuhrman, Joel, MD, Fasting and Eating for Health : A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease
  • tamaraland
    Options
    just be careful about it. there are a few instances in which it's good (my doctor suggested it to me at the start of my new health regime change partly because I was close to being diabetic). make sure you are exercising during that time and working your muscles because it's easy to wind up losing muscle weight. since you're essentially putting your body in starvation mode be careful not to over-eat when you have your first meal, and eat really good to let your body soak up those nutrients, it will store as much of whatever you eat as it can since you've been depriving it. When I did it for 2 days I lost about 11 pounds, exercised every minute of it I could spare, but be prepared to gain some of it back. Do it only if you've really acquired all the information you can about the pros and cons of it.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Grapes are woefully low in fiber, so I have no idea how they could effectively clean one's system. Water is great, but on its own will not "cleanse" the way the body needs.

We need fiber and water to do that. Give your body what it needs and there's no reason to do anything crazy. As someone else said, our bodies are very effective at doing what they need to do.

Fiber is not the only thing that helps to cleanse our bodies. If you are defining "cleanse" as going to the bathroom and removing waste then yes. But there are several nutrients, antioxidants, etc that help to cleanse different parts of our bodily systems. Grapes happen to contain some of these, some of which have been studied in regards to fighting cancer.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    just be careful about it. there are a few instances in which it's good (my doctor suggested it to me at the start of my new health regime change partly because I was close to being diabetic). make sure you are exercising during that time and working your muscles because it's easy to wind up losing muscle weight. since you're essentially putting your body in starvation mode be careful not to over-eat when you have your first meal, and eat really good to let your body soak up those nutrients, it will store as much of whatever you eat as it can since you've been depriving it. When I did it for 2 days I lost about 11 pounds, exercised every minute of it I could spare, but be prepared to gain some of it back. Do it only if you've really acquired all the information you can about the pros and cons of it.

I'm no doctor, but I drink Dr. Pepper ..... and telling someone to exercise while fasting seems like a dangerous and foolhearty suggestion. Are you trying to get OP killed?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for 24 hours one day a month since I was a teenager with the exception of times I was pregnant or nursing. My purpose is for spiritual reasons, not weight loss, however I am very familiar with the health benefits associated with periodic fasting that is not extreme in nature.

Since I have been logging on MFP, my weight has consistantly dropped by one pound after this fast, but that is unimportant in terms of the long-term impacts.

1.) According to two recent studies (2008, 2011), evidence shows that people who fast routinely have a lower prevalence of coronary disease.

2.) Another finding of the study was that levels of human growth hormone increased dramatically after the fasting period, as much as 20 times in men and 13 times in women. This hormone is known to be released during periods of fasting, it is presumed in order to trigger the burning of fat stores and protect lean muscle mass.

3.) Fasting gives the body a break from exposure to sugar, allowing cells to “resensitize” to sugar (helping to regulate insulin).

4.) Fasting resets the metabolic rate.

5.) A brief fast enables the body to do a little catch-up on the elimination of bodily toxins, so it is good for the elimanative organs like the colon, liver, kidneys and skin.

These are documented health benefits, but as I mentioned, I do it for spiritual reasons, and can attest that after my fast, I feel more centered, focused and at peace. "I also feel lighter", which I would describe as the opposite of feeling bloated or weighed down.

Pregnant women, nursing women, diabetics, hypoglycemics, those with eating disorders and people who take medications that require food are NOT good candidates for fasting. If a person has not fasted before, the prudent course would be to check with their doctor before they start.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy when I don't eat enough within a few hours. Going for days at a time not eating sounds like a recipe for disaster (and passing out.)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I can't take it.... Exercise every second you can, don't eat, and don't drink water. Does this seriously sound right?