running shoe advice for high arches

i have extrememly high arches and i just started running last week. my current shoe (which is a Nike, just purchased when i joined the gym, not intending to run) is completely inappropriate, so until i get new shoes, i have to curtail my running.

just wanted to find some advice on what you believe to be a good running shoe (will mostly be treadmill, but some outdoor regular concrete/pavement) price isn't an issue.

thanks.

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I would strongly advise getting fitted at a local running store so that you can make sure you have the right shoes... but assuming you have feet like mine ...

I have extremely high arches ... I run in Saucony Omnis with a Berry Superfeet insole. I used to battle alot of foot pain but I do not have a problem with that anymore! :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    If you have a local running store, go get professional fitting (no extra cost) they will watch you run and fit the correct shoe for you! If you dont then go to www.roadrunnersports.com and use the shoe dog and it will recommend shoes for your criteria.
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    I've had good luck with Asics, either Cumulus or Landreth (my new favorite) but I put green Superfeet insoles in them. I've got wide feet with very high arches.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    i live in a big city and have access to lots of running stores - THANKS for the advice!!!!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    I just added some insoles for high arches to the running shoes I already have. Lol.
  • First - go to a running store and have someone watch you walk.

Second - check out Brooks!! They are AWESOME and avid runners use them! I have the Brooks Ghost 4's because I have a neutral stride. They feel like clouds!
  • I agree that you should go to a running store if possible. In my experience it's not only about high arches but also about which part of your foot strikes the ground first. I tend to walk more on the outsides of my feet, so I was fitted to a shoe that supported my arch and the outter part of my foot...especially the heel. I also use a mid-foot strike when running (jogging). I try to land on the ball of my foot, but more toward the center...if that makes sense. Good luck!

Oh--the shoe i chose is a Peal Izumi because I liked the "uni-body" construction--no seams. I also like New Balance and Nike, but for running I need MORE out of my shoe, PI gives me that. :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    I triple the suggestion of going to a professional running store to get fitted. They'll anaylze your gait while you're running in different shoes, etc. Keep in mind these stores aren't usually in the mall. Look in the Yellow Pages or Google it.

The investment in time and money will pay off in the long run. Pun intended.

You'll pay a little more, but do know that these are the people who help support many local races, often give high school track and CC students discounts, mentor TNT events, etc. They're a great asset to a community.
  • I have really high arches, so I went to a running store to get sized. The two shoes I loved were Brooks Ghost (which I have been wearing for my half marathon training) and Saucony ProGrid Guide (which I wear for all other workouts). I would highly recommend the Brooks for running. They were $100 but definitely worth it!
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    I have high arches too (even had a random lady on a cruise ship comment on them at age of 18 - WEIRD!) and I'm now 100% sold on Mizuno! Love them - have also tried Nike and Saucony, but the Mizuno Wave series is hands-down my favorite!
  • I have high arches too (even had a random lady on a cruise ship comment on them at age of 18 - WEIRD!) and I'm now 100% sold on Mizuno! Love them - have also tried Nike and Saucony, but the Mizuno Wave series is hands-down my favorite!

I want to try the Mizuno's. I think I will get me a pair because they were my 2nd favorite to the Brooks. Looks like they have better heel cushioning than the Brooks. I tend to strike on my heel a lot.