Hunger headaches and general blah feeling

Options
When i need food, I get headaches and I can't concentrate. It's not my stomach that's the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? And what do you do about it?

I have a 1280 calorie goal (0.5 lbs per week estimated loss) and I've been going pretty near it each day. I just started 4 days ago.

Replies

• iamthevieve
    Options
    Have you tried upping your water intake? I've found over the years that the cause of 99% of my headaches is dehydration. They do seem to get worse when I'm hungry. Just a thought.
  • antipanic
    Options
    My experience has been that it gets better after the first few days. The headaches and lethergy, for me, are brought on by low blood sugar as my body adjusts. It also helps me to spread my food out over the full day. That, and LOTS of water, as mentioned already. Best of luck to you!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Have you tried upping your water intake? I've found over the years that the cause of 99% of my headaches is dehydration. They do seem to get worse when I'm hungry. Just a thought.

Yes, that. Losing weight creates lots of waste that has to be properly flushed. Also, have you given up sugar or caffeine as part of your program? You can have withdrawal headaches from either, but they should subside in a few days if you stay the course. Good luck!
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

This
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure your meals and snacks contain good protein and make sure you eat your exercise calories so that your body gets enough nutrition.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My hypoglycemia does that too me when I eat too few calories.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend some carbs, honestly. I'm not being silly. Promise. Carbs are good for energy. When I get a headache from not eating, I will sometimes grab a handful of nuts or seeds which gives me carbs and protein and fat and pretty much does away with my headache fast. Of course... nuts and seeds tend to be high calorie... but I'm okay with that. I'd rather not be miserable.

You don't have to choose nuts/seeds.

I don't actually know what your diet is like... you might be getting plenty of carbs... so if you are, disregard my advice.

But if you're miserable while dieting, you're not going to stick with it, so I would recommend finding some way to get rid of that headache and find more energy.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    When i need food, I get headaches and I can't concentrate. It's not my stomach that's the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? And what do you do about it?

I have a 1280 calorie goal (0.5 lbs per week estimated loss) and I've been going pretty near it each day. I just started 4 days ago.

What do you mean when you say you've "been going pretty near it" about your calorie goal? Please tell me you're at least eating 1280 calories a day...

If you're getting headaches from being hungry, you probably should consider eating more, really.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are you working out too?
    If so, are you eating back your calories?

When are you getting hungry that causes headaches?
    What are you eating typically?

If you opened your diary, people will likely be able to make suggestions as well.
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    I'll try drinking more water first.

I haven't cut out caffeine nor sugar, but I don't consume huge amounts of sugar anyway.
    All I'm really doing is eating less of what I normally eat, and avoiding "grazing" and overindulging.

I feel too lousy to work out at the moment.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'll try drinking more water first.

I haven't cut out caffeine nor sugar, but I don't consume huge amounts of sugar anyway.
    All I'm really doing is eating less of what I normally eat, and avoiding "grazing" and overindulging.

I feel too lousy to work out at the moment.

water is not going to help if you are lacking in certain vitamins or minerals. Without having an idea of what you eat and when, it is pretty much impossible to help you out.
    I work in a job where sometimes I can end up not being able to eat when I am hungry and I get headaches and feel ill when I get really hungry, water does not solve the problem, food does.
    If you are lacking energy water is not going to solve it.
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    Well, I made my food diary public so you can look at it. (Note that I have been cleaning out the fridge after Thanksgiving and using up some Vitamin Shoppe free samples of protein powders. LOL). I take a high-end multivitamin twice a day, plus a mineral supplement.
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    First thought is to add a protein snack between breakfast and lunch.
    Maybe a tbs of peanut butter with a really great quality slice of bread. Thinking along the lines of flax seed or 9 grain.
    Maybe a glass of skim milk with a bit celery and pb.
    Idk, just something to keep your blood sugar levels stable til lunch.
    And lots of water to flush out the nasties.
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    your breafasts are pretty low in calorie. I would try a bigger breakfast and then make sure you have protein-heavy snacks. Paired with water, they help me feel full and keep me going through the day. Doc recommended that I eat every 2-3 hours and it seems to be working for me.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    it's probably because your blood sugar dips. it happens at different times for people. As a result, your blood pressure drops. I got that when I fasted but your diet of 1280 cals shouldn't do that to you
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am going through that too! I stop snacking the bad stuff & now I am craving sweets & sugar & drinking my water instead, but it should get better as the days go by - I do feel better that I have not snacked unhealthy junk stuff that I have done for too long !
  • StephEwell
    StephEwell Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're so hungry that you have a headache, for goodness sake - eat. Eat an apple, or a banana, grab something healthy. But seriously you need to eat. Starving yourself isn't sustainable. If you want to make life changes you'll have to gradually get your body used to eating healthy and exercising. It won't happen over night.

Trust me, I would put myself on crazy calorie restrictions and be SO HUNGRY all the time that when I cheated, I REALLY cheated. You're better off feeding yourself and giving yourself the nutrition you need. Just subsitute the cookies/chips/junk that you may have reached for before for something healthy - that way you're still better off than you were, and you'll feel good enough to work out and be active. :)

Hope that helps!
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Do you drink a lot of caffine? A lack of caffine after your body is used to it can give you headaches? also not eating enough, but if you are at 1/2 lb a week you should be fine but I would try eating a little more and exercising more.