is 7 months enough time to train for a half marathon?

Options
i recently have suffered from a fairly minor injury in my knee this past month. i pushed to hard training for a 10k. well, the truth of it is that i procrastinated on my training and thought i was in good enough shape to forge on. not the case. after having to walk the last portion of my first 10k, i have realized i need to start from square one. last night i decided to work towards a half marathon, but to take my time and really focus.

i found a half marathon in july that i would like to run with some friends, all of us having a few races under our belts. would seven months be enough time to work my knees back up?

Replies

• kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I believe that typical half-marathon training plans are around 12 weeks or so. You should be good to go with 7 months.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    7 months is plenty of time! Check out this website for a good beginner's training schedule that will get you a good routine that will help you keep from overdoing your preparation. It's set for 3 months, but you can lengthen each week to two weeks to stretch it over 6 months. Hope this helps!

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I trained for a full marathon in less than 6 months, wouldn't do it again, but can be done.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    More than plenty. I had a decent base (was able to run 3 miles at a shot) and did the 12 week Hal Higdon novice plan. Google it and you'll find it very quickly.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! As the above mentioned, Hal Hidgon plans are great. Or you can personalize a plan on Runner's World Smart Coach and tweak it to fit you (this is what I do usually, and what I'll be doing for my 16-week marathon training plan - this assumes I have a base in running of course).

GOOD LUCK! I've only done one half so far, and LOVED IT!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! 7 months is plenty of time. I trained for my first half-marathon in 2 months. Not recommended though!

All I did was split my long run into two during the week M-W-Sat would be like 5-5-10 miles. The longest I ran before the half was 12. Adrenaline will carry you the rest of the way.

You can do it!!!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon is the way to go! I'd get yourself a solid base before you start training. I did this with doing 3 - 5 miles about 4-5 times per week. Once I could do that without thinking twice, I moved on to the formal training. You've SO go this!
  • absmith55
    Options
    It should be more than enough time! Just listen to your body and be willing to stop training if you need to. Pushing through it isn't worth it if you'll have injuries after. I speak from experience ;-)
  • kerryannk
    Options
    thank you all! high five!