Scared of the Scale

Options
I am completely terrified to get on the scale. I have this fear that the weight will randomly all come back to me. Even if I keep eating right and working out. Even though it's already worked for I'm still terrified of even seeing a 1 lb gain :( This fear has got to disappear so I can do a weigh in already!!!!

Replies

• mrsfoose
    Options
    No reason to be scared. Some days it doesn't say what you want, but it's only a number. Remember that you are stronger than before and focus on how you feel. That being said, have you tried measuring yourself? My weight can be slow to go down but the inches will move making me feel that much better.
  • jahneva
    jahneva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I get the same way sometimes and usually it's not that bad :) If you're somewhere your happy with then that's great and if not you'll get there, but either way you need to find out!!! What type of program are you doing?
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You need to understand that the scale is sometimes not the most realistic reflection of progress. Give yourself a few pounds of wiggle room and it won't be so difficult anymore :) What you should be seeing is a general downward trend from week to week, so if one day you're up a couple of pounds that's okay! Unless you ate 5000 calories in one day it's likely just water weight.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    you're the opposite of me... i can't stay off the scale! i weigh myself every single day, unless i am staying at my parents or staying somewhere else that night into the morning. it is literally the 2nd thing i do in the morning (1st is do my business in the ladies room! haha). my weigh in days are fridays so thats the only day i ever log my weight on mfp but i literally check it every single day. i feel like its a problem and it isn't a problem.

however, if you are scared of the scale... stay away from it! do once a month weigh ins... even with my weekly weigh ins if i am up a pound or something, i have to remind myself it's just water weight or its muscle bc i started a new pilates workout or something. if you are going to use the scale as a measurement of your weight you NEED to be aware that its just fluctuations day to day. you could be up 5 pounds in one day but that does not mean you gained fat AT ALL unless you seriously have been eating junk and not moving.

you should really measure yourself though... the one week the scale said i maintained a pound but then i did my measurements and i had lost like an inch and a half off my belly! i was ecstatic!!! maybe because you are scared you can do monthly weigh ins.. maybe on the 1st and the 15th of the month or the 1st of every month or something. you have to find what works for you!
  • JuliePete
    Options
    I would have to agree with the measuring! It really does help. Also remember that 1 lb added could be water weight too. It will help if you know where you are. Helps you keep track of whether what you are doing is the right thing for you.
  • ronniekh
    Options
    Thanks all, I feel better!
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, we all go up and down! I've gone up 5lbs in one day before!!!! Only for it all to go by the next day! Pesky fluctuations