Top 5 Fitness Myths To Set You Straight

Options
Egger29
Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
The following article was in my Twitter feed the other day and thought it would be worth sharing here since these are things I've seen people worry about on here time and time again. Thanks to @CoachCalorie for sharing.

Number 5 Stands out the most as to what I see on here all the time. Remember, losing FAT and losing WEIGHT are NOT the same thing!

Cheers everyone!

Post from: Deanna of My Fitness & Nutrition

Once upon a time, I was an overweight person, like most of America, lost in a sea of fitness myths, advertising, and media that constantly contradicted themselves and each other. The in-shape people simply preached, “Just eat right and exercise!” So I tried to “eat right” and “exercise”. But I was uneducated and going on only the things I thought I knew, which got me absolutely nowhere.

It’s hard enough, mentally, to have the willpower to change your diet and exercise program to be effective without having to sift through all the bad information out there. I’m here to help set you straight with the top 5 biggest fitness myths about diet and exercise, so that hopefully you can have the correct information to reach your goals.

Fitness Myth #1: You Gained Pounds of Fat This Weekend
So you had a rough weekend, or gluttonous week-long vacation, and you stepped on the scale and saw that you [GASP] GAINED 5 POUNDS! You beat yourself up, and maybe you even just decide to give up. Whoa, there….

First of all, you may have put on 5 pounds of weight. This does NOT mean you put on 5 pounds of FAT, which is the one you need to worry about. It takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound of fat, so to gain 5 pounds of fat = 17,500 calories ON TOP OF your normal calorie intake. That is a heck of a lot of binging and while I’m not saying it can’t be done, the more likely cause of the increase on the scale is that you ate junk food, which contains lots of simple carbs, which were stored in your body as water.

So you probably feel bloated and bulky, and maybe your pants are even a little tighter than normal. But the simple solution is to just get right back on your plan, drink a little extra water and lower your sodium, and within a few days you’ll drop the extra water and get right back down to where you were.

Fitness Myth #2: Strength Training Makes You Bulky or Thick
Women tend to be weary of strength training because they worry they will get too muscular or thick. Becoming lean and toned is two processes working together: building up muscle and losing fat, simultaneously.

Building muscle will help burn the fat, because muscle requires more calories to maintain. The more muscle you have, the more calories and fat you will burn just being alive (increased metabolism). Eating the right foods also makes sure that your body uses your stored fat to burn those calories rather than your muscle. It’s true what they say, “Abs are born in the kitchen.”

If you’re one of the women who worries about looking like those buff weightlifter ladies with the defined jaws and manly physiques, don’t. It’s physically impossible for us to bulk up to that level without some hormonal help, which 9 times out of 10, is exactly what you’re seeing with the bodybuilder type women that look like this. This is one of the biggest fitness myths.

Fitness Myth #3: You Can Spot Reduce Fat With Exercise

This one is probably the one of the fitness myths I see and hear most often. I was just on Pinterest this morning, and saw one person after the next post a link to 15 days to lose the flabby arms, with exercises that targeted only the arm muscles. Sigh.

As I wrote about above in Myth #2, working a muscle does not make you lose fat in that area. Working that one particular area does not make that muscle reach out and eat the fat that is covering it, nor does it make it hot so that the fat around it melts. You can’t burn specific calories in one spot; our bodies just don’t work that way. As I am sure you have all noticed in your own bodies, we store fat in different ways, which are genetically predisposed. What that means is, if our mothers stored their fat in their bellies, we’re likely to also. Does this mean you’re doomed to have a big belly like your mom? No! It just means that if you both eat more calories than you burn, you’re likely to notice the fat building up in the same places. If this has happened to you, and you’ve put on weight, you have to lose the fat all over to melt it in your trouble area too. You must adhere to a healthy lifestyle to lose your muffin top with a combination of a healthy diet and exercise, so that your body uses its fat stores as fuel. It will burn that troublesome spot eventually, with some patience.

Fitness Myth #4: You Need Long Workouts to Exercise Effectively

The fact is, it’s not the amount of time that you workout that makes your exercise effective, but instead, it’s the INTENSITY. A high intensity workout is short but more effective than a long cardio session.

High intensity interval training, or HIIT, is a form of exercise where you push yourself to your absolute max for a short period of time, followed by a short period of recovery…this is an interval. Doing this type of exercise for just 20 minutes a day is all you need to burn ridiculous amounts of calories and build an athletic body.

When you do low-intensity workouts, such as walking, you burn extra calories beginning when you start and ending when you stop. Let’s say you just burned 150 calories walking or doing yoga. Eat two pieces of bread, and your entire hour was a waste. With high-intensity workouts, you use carbohydrates to fuel your workout, and then burn fat for hours after you finish exercising, for many reasons. The body is put under so much stress during HIIT that it burns calories just trying to get itself back to normal (restoring depleted carbohydrates, re-oxygenating the blood, etc). It also builds muscle as you work, and the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn just resting, because muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat.

When you’re working at maximum intensity, you will be breathing hard, not be able to speak, your heart will be pounding, and you’ll likely be sweating a ton.

HIIT can be applied to all types of exercise-from running to bike riding to weightlifting to body weight exercise.

Fitness Myth #5: You Lose Fat Burning More Calories Than You Eat

So not true. You will lose WEIGHT by burning more calories than you eat. And if being “skinny fat” with no muscle tone and a jiggly body is what you’re after, then by all means eat 1200 calories of cookies every day and burn 1300 with your own metabolism and a walk. You’ll lose weight on the scale, in the form of precious muscle. Your body will use your muscle as its fuel source before it uses fat, because we are programmed genetically to do so (the body instinctively holds onto fat in case of famine). But I think most of us can agree that skinny fat isn’t sexy, healthy or desirable. Not only will you be jiggly, but also you’ll feel bad with less energy, and you’ll be at a higher risk for all sorts of diseases and illness, including cancer.

To lose fat, you need to eat fat-burning, nutritious foods that support your exercise program. You need protein to build muscle, and healthy carbohydrates and fats for energy and brain function. A healthy diet will make you feel more clear-headed, give you more energy for your workouts as well as everyday life, make you feel full and satisfied, and, planned correctly, will encourage your body to build muscle and use its fat stores for energy, thus melting that fat away.

Losing weight by losing muscle actually decreases metabolism, which will limit how much weight you can actually lose. As I’ve said, muscle requires more calories just to simply maintain than fat does. Increasing your muscle mass, therefore, means an increased metabolism. Simple.

A little education can go a long way when it comes to fitness and nutrition. Having the right information is the key to long-term success in your program, and will help you to break past the barriers to a healthy lifestyle.

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Amen! And to show what Myth number 2 REALLY looks like when a girl lifts heavy meet Staci!!!

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

She weighs more at the end and yet is OBVIOUSLY smaller, smoother and more toned than when she weighed less. That scale is NOT the ultimate goal!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    myth-busted.jpg

Spread the gospel, brother! Well done.
  • loves03
    loves03 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Myth #1 applied to my life- I weighed myself the Monday after Thanksgiving and I had gained 4 pounds. I was bummed but was pretty sure most of it was water weight. Since Monday I've upped my water in take and got back on my plan (still not as strict as I should be) and 4 days later I'm down 3 pounds! Only 1 more pound to be back where I was :)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    BUT......that hour of walking was *not* a waste!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, there is good stuff in this article. But NO exercise is a waste of time or effort. Even if you eat back the calories, using muscles and joints is good for you. Strengthening bones is good for you, and walking is very good for our bones. Burning those calories is good for you.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Amen! And to show what Myth number 2 REALLY looks like when a girl lifts heavy meet Staci!!!

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

She weighs more at the end and yet is OBVIOUSLY smaller, smoother and more toned than when she weighed less. That scale is NOT the ultimate goal!
    Thanks for posting this. Great story. Already forwarded to my wife.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Great summary of so many truths!
    Appreciate the post. My favorite part was "...working a muscle does not make you lose fat in that area. Working that one particular area does not make that muscle reach out and eat the fat that is covering it, nor does it make it hot so that the fat around it melts."
    Ahhhh, how much I wish that were true!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this. Great story. Already forwarded to my wife.

Someone here linked her and she's become my weight lifting hero LOL. I probably am not QUITE dedicated enough to eat and work out like she does but it gives me hope that I CAN lift heavy weights. I LIKE weight lifting!
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • alangholz
    Options
    Excellent information! While I knew much of the information, I did learn a thing or two so thank you!!
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Three words...awesome, awesome, awesome!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Nice article...thanks for sharing..
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    LOVE that article - thanks for posting - and for REMINDING me why I've traded in my cardio for weight-training and HIIT...
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've been getting very frustrated lately trying to explain these things to my friends who question my weight lifting (and then tell me I just need to do crunches to tone my stomach after I elliptical for two hours - fine I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the point). Reading this and seeing that other people know the truth just kept me from a possible meltdown of frustration mode.

Spread the word!!!
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this information.
  • wgieni
    Options
    Another good Post!
  • MelanieWo
    Options
    Thanks for all of the useful information!
  • stardust91
    Options
    Wow loved the post!
  • mikkijane1
    mikkijane1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    great post!! thanks!! :)
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing:wink: