Water fasting

Options

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for 24 hours one day a month since I was a teenager with the exception of times I was pregnant or nursing. My purpose is for spiritual reasons, not weight loss, however I am very familiar with the health benefits associated with periodic fasting that is not extreme in nature.

Since I have been logging on MFP, my weight has consistantly dropped by one pound after this fast, but that is unimportant in terms of the long-term impacts.

1.) According to two recent studies (2008, 2011), evidence shows that people who fast routinely have a lower prevalence of coronary disease.

2.) Another finding of the study was that levels of human growth hormone increased dramatically after the fasting period, as much as 20 times in men and 13 times in women. This hormone is known to be released during periods of fasting, it is presumed in order to trigger the burning of fat stores and protect lean muscle mass.

3.) Fasting gives the body a break from exposure to sugar, allowing cells to “resensitize” to sugar (helping to regulate insulin).

4.) Fasting resets the metabolic rate.

5.) A brief fast enables the body to do a little catch-up on the elimination of bodily toxins, so it is good for the elimanative organs like the colon, liver, kidneys and skin.

These are documented health benefits, but as I mentioned, I do it for spiritual reasons, and can attest that after my fast, I feel more centered, focused and at peace. "I also feel lighter", which I would describe as the opposite of feeling bloated or weighed down.

Pregnant women, nursing women, diabetics, hypoglycemics, those with eating disorders and people who take medications that require food are NOT good candidates for fasting. If a person has not fasted before, the prudent course would be to check with their doctor before they start.

*applauds. Solid, sensible, and correct.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I can't take it.... Exercise as every second you can, don't eat, and only drink water. Does this seriously sound right?

As a side note, when I undertake my monthly fast, I make it a point to take it easy - no exercise at all during that period other than meditative deep breathing.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Fasting or denying yourself of precious nutrients, vitamins and energy we get from food intake is not necessary to weight loss. Food is NOT the enemy. It is ok to love food. Learn moderation, stick to a healthy diet, get some exercise and you will become healthier. There is no need to deny yourself.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    So, I heard of this interesting craze and I know some people who do it, but in moderation. For instance, water fast for one day, or two days straight. Is there actually any benefits to this what so ever, or should it be avoided at all costs.

Even people that food fast MUST take water.

A water fast will accomplish nothing but make you lose some water weight and risk some health issues. ie.. dehydration.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I can't take it.... Exercise as every second you can, don't eat, and only drink water. Does this seriously sound right?

As a side note, when I undertake my monthly fast, I make it a point to take it easy - no exercise at all during that period other than meditative deep breathing.

I also did a religious fast one day a month for 9 years straight. I did not exercise during the fasting period because the goal was not fitness related, it was spiritual. There were benefits psychologically but I did not notice any physical changes in my body.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for 24 hours one day a month since I was a teenager with the exception of times I was pregnant or nursing. My purpose is for spiritual reasons, not weight loss, however I am very familiar with the health benefits associated with periodic fasting that is not extreme in nature.

Since I have been logging on MFP, my weight has consistantly dropped by one pound after this fast, but that is unimportant in terms of the long-term impacts.

1.) According to two recent studies (2008, 2011), evidence shows that people who fast routinely have a lower prevalence of coronary disease.

2.) Another finding of the study was that levels of human growth hormone increased dramatically after the fasting period, as much as 20 times in men and 13 times in women. This hormone is known to be released during periods of fasting, it is presumed in order to trigger the burning of fat stores and protect lean muscle mass.

3.) Fasting gives the body a break from exposure to sugar, allowing cells to “resensitize” to sugar (helping to regulate insulin).

4.) Fasting resets the metabolic rate.

5.) A brief fast enables the body to do a little catch-up on the elimination of bodily toxins, so it is good for the elimanative organs like the colon, liver, kidneys and skin.

These are documented health benefits, but as I mentioned, I do it for spiritual reasons, and can attest that after my fast, I feel more centered, focused and at peace. "I also feel lighter", which I would describe as the opposite of feeling bloated or weighed down.

Pregnant women, nursing women, diabetics, hypoglycemics, those with eating disorders and people who take medications that require food are NOT good candidates for fasting. If a person has not fasted before, the prudent course would be to check with their doctor before they start.

*applauds. Solid, sensible, and correct.

I can agree with this, but definitely not with exercising every chance you get. All of the reading I have done on fasting recommends the sames as you list above. If you are doing it to lose weight specifically, you will most likely not see the benefits you are looking for as you will likely gain the weight back after the fast. There are many cultures that have fasts for different lengths of time as part of their customs or religious beliefs. When practiced correctly, most people should be fine for the fast. Even these religions and customs have exception for medical purposes, the young and elderly and pregnant/nursing mothers.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting.

There are different ways you can do it. It is quite wonderful and it is my life style. I fast for 24 hours 2-3 times a week - and have done it for quite a long time. I do not do it for weight loss, I do it for the benefits of fasting. There is plenty of research on it - too much to type here, and I think artemisacorn's post is quite comprehensive. There is a group on Intermittent fasting you can get all kinds of information on it, links, and articles as well. Plenty of people with this lifestyle that you can talk to that are willing to share experiences on it including myself :)
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've been water fasting now for two whole hours! I feel great! ;-)

me too!!!!! :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    hmmm...not sure if your question is about fasting from food or fasting from water. anyway, you shouldn't go any length of time without water or comparable.

as far as 24 hour fasting from food, its known as intermittent fasting. If you are interested in it, I STRONGLY recommend that you first read Eat Stop Eat. I read it at the beginning of October and have been doing at least one 24 hour fast per week since then (sometimes twice a week). The primary benefit from IF that I have noticed is that it has allowed me to re-focus or stay focus on my journey. Fasting has kicked the crap out of cravings for me. For me, once I convinced my mind that I CAN go without food for 24 or so hours, fasting was fairly easy. What helped me create the mindset was reading the benefits of IF in Eat Stop Eat, as well as following some MFP Forum posts on the subject. In addition to the focus, I believe there are other physical/health benefits that come along with short term IF. Up until last week, I had lost weight each of the 7 weeks that I fasted at least one day. Yesterday's weigh-in was UP 0.2 pounds. I consider that a WIN given what I consumed on Turkey Day and Leftover Day. I fasted from after dinner Saturday until dinnertime Sunday to get re-focused. I don't think IF is the only reason I have had success over the last 2 months, but I do think it has contributed to my success .... both the physical results and its effect on keeping me in the zone for the days when I am not fasting.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options

I always thought of fasting as spiritual thing, not particularly for weight loss, what are you trying to accomplish?

agreed
  • tamaraland
    Options
    just be careful about it. there are a few instances in which it's good (my doctor suggested it to me at the start of my new health regime change partly because I was close to being diabetic). make sure you are exercising during that time and working your muscles because it's easy to wind up losing muscle weight. since you're essentially putting your body in starvation mode be careful not to over-eat when you have your first meal, and eat really good to let your body soak up those nutrients, it will store as much of whatever you eat as it can since you've been depriving it. When I did it for 2 days I lost about 11 pounds, exercised every minute of it I could spare, but be prepared to gain some of it back. Do it only if you've really acquired all the information you can about the pros and cons of it.

I'm no doctor, but I drink Dr. Pepper ..... and telling someone to exercise while fasting seems like a dangerous and foolhearty suggestion. Are you trying to get OP killed?

I'm not saying go crazy with the exercise like I did. When I wasn't resting I found things to keep me busy because I've got blood sugar problems and the hunger became almost unbearable every so often, so I found it easier in those moments to go for a walk rather than trying to focus on relaxing or reading. Muscles need food for recovery, so going overboard while fasting won't help. But walking and some light stretching don't strike me as something that will kill you while fasting for a couple days as long as you're at least staying hydrated. I'm by no means saying to vigorously lifts weights and run a marathon. But move a little. There's no way I would have fasted and exercised without being under my doctor's supervision while doing it. It works differently for everybody, but come 36 hours without food I couldn't focus on any of my studies so I had to keep active, or sleep. There's benefits and disadvantages to everything these days, and while one doctor will have proven research that doing such and such is amazing, another one will have research saying the opposite. Be sensible. Listen to your body. Nothing works the same for everyone. Fasting feels great for me, but I was wary of it when one doctor told me absolutely not, and I've got to eat every 3 hours on account of my blood sugar. I'm glad another doctor suggested the opposite and took the time to explain to me why I should do it.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I water fasted for four hours today and all I got was hungry :)
  • _JPH_
    _JPH_ Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sorry I meant fasting food wise. Drinking only water.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I fasted for 2 weeks twice. Nothing but water. The second time I fasted I had TMJ. Since I didn't have full control of my jaw anyway and was in severe pain, I just went on a fast and rested. Felt a lot better afterwards.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Fasting is great!

When you're fasting, it causes demand for groceries to go down and that makes them cheaper for people like me who enjoy eating. I've noticed the price of eggs is up so maybe you guys can coordinate a nation-wide water fasting and I'll stock up if the price drops. Thanks!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, DO NOT DO THAT.
    I read other posts of yours and as you have a history of binge eating and purging it's going to be disastrous for you.

People who have a normal relationship with food can afford to try intermittent fasting or fasting for religious purposes. NOT YOU.
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fasting every now and then saves money :) good for college students....I used to try everything to avoid fasting and believed that you really had to eat every three hours. When I found out this was a hoax I was so relieved. I enjoy eating a lot but I also enjoy going for a while without food. Gives my stomach a rest.
  • thecountofcrisco
    Options
    Yeah, I doubt its a good idea. I'd ask a doctor before doing it.
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    OP, DO NOT DO THAT.
    I read other posts of yours and as you have a history of binge eating and purging it's going to be disastrous for you.

People who have a normal relationship with food can afford to try intermittent fasting or fasting for religious purposes. NOT YOU.

That's a bit harsh. Fasting is very difficult, but it can be used as a way of trying to control bingeing and purging... To show herself that she does have control and will power can be a very big confidence boost.

As long as your are otherwise healthy, I would recommend consulting with your doctor first, but apart from that I don't see any issues. Good luck with your fast and let us know how you go!