How do you control your sugar tooth?

Options
OMGoodness! Is it possible? I just have the hardest time staying away from the bluebell, chocolate and sweets in the house. I know I should keep it out of the house but I keep thinking why should my family have to suffer cause I cant control myself? I've tried going for carrots before instead of the sweets but sometimes I've ended up eating those yummy carrots and then eat the ice cream anyways. I dont really binge on it, I eat half a cup in my kids Ikea bowl but it still ticks me off cause there goes what was burned from my exercise... Sorry for the rant, lol.... Any tips or tricks welcome. Think I feel a Chalean extreme HIT calling my name, lol.

Replies

• Fatphuck
    Fatphuck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem too... I can not control my mouth... Can I add you as a friend... Maybe we can share words of encouragement and help each other out
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I keep telling myself, that I have to learn self control, but wow, it's soooo hard!!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't control it completely. I just indulge in small portions and fit them in within my cals and exercise. I could never give up sweets completely.
  • tristanathan
    Options
    When I was super serious and intent on never letting myself have those things, I'd eat a pickle. It would change the flavor in my mouth and I'd really not want anything else after that. Plus, they are pretty low-cal and the dill pickles are generally packed with electrolytes.

I've also heard that there are some people who, after their last meal of the day, will brush their teeth. The mintiness of the toothpaste should help signal the brain that you are done eating for the day. (At least this is what I've been told and read on some websites).
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, plain greek mixed with carbmaster. Lots of protein and a little sweet.
  • qtcaro
    qtcaro Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is my main issue with maintaining/losing weight. If I stopped just the sweets I would definitely lose 5-8 pounds without even trying. Maybe I need to find someone who can hypnotize me into being good, lol
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    By eating moderate amounts of sweet foods that I'm craving into my calorie goal.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    i have them from time to time... but it must fit within my calorie goals for the day.
  • louiseyanne
    Options
    I have the same problem so i've made up a batch of sugar free jelly/jello at about 10 cals a pop.
    or I clean my teeth!
  • qtcaro
    Options
    Thats a good idea, fill up your tummy a little more with something low fat.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ...eat it while staring at yourself naked in the mirror....you will only do it once.:noway:
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I chew a lot of gum after meals, or brush my teeth. But I also will sometimes just have a Hershey's kiss or two, or a Dove chocolate piece. Just don't go overboard!
  • qtcaro
    Options
    That is to funny, I remember when I was little I used to suck my thumb all the time so my parents stuck my hands in pickle juice and magically I stopped stucking my thumb, lol... Know tmi but its just so funny. Tried it on my son who had the same issue but didnt work on him. He likes pickles now. But finding something extreme to change the taste in your mouth is a good idea.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I'll look forward to readhing the answers.
  • sarahstolberg
    sarahstolberg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have heard before that sweet cravings are a sign you need more water (especially if you drink a lot of sweet drinks). So down a glass of water first and wait a few minutes to see if that solves the problem.

Another thing is snacking out of habit/boredom. I have noticed I don't snack as much when I pick up my crochet or anything that keeps my hands busy and my mind occupied.

For a snack, what about keeping some sugar-free gum on hand, or keeping some Crystal Light lemonade in the fridge. Its only 10 cals per 16oz glass and tastes pretty good :)
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    By not buying the stuff... because I am a magician when it comes to sweet stuff -- meaning, I will make it dissapear! lol

I cannot stop eating sweets completely because I just go on a binge after a while. If you control your portions, then you can eat the stuff, and not feel deprived. I also workout extra hard when I am 'bad'.

Try yogurt, chocolate milk, kellog snack bars and even sugarless gum (you know the extra dessert ones) help with my sweet tooth.
  • runnermel
    Options
    ...eat it while staring at yourself naked in the mirror....you will only do it once.:noway:

omg! that is too funny! may have to try that one!
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try fruit. There are few things in the candy aisle as sweet as a honey crisp apple or a ripe strawberry. If you avoid confections, in a relatively short time your taste preferences will change and you will start to prefer naturally sweet foods and the confections will not be as satisfying when you do eat them.
  • operationfatbastard
    Options
    I will start with.... DID YOU KNOW:

Sugar consumption increases FAT conversion into your bloodstream by 4 times! That means if you eat sugar, your body will HOLD ONTO 4 x more food and convert it into fat, in comparision to people who dont eat sugar.

Sugar consumption increases your risk of cancer, because it FEEDS bad cells in your body......

Sugar consumption can surpress your immune system, making it harder to fight infection

Sugar consumption can make you anxious, and irritable, and makes it hard to concerntrate

Sugar consumption reduces tissue elasticity causing premature aging and wrinkles

Sugar consumption can weaken your eye sight, and messes up your bowel fuction

However, I'm definitely with you here, I love chocolate, vanilla slice, caramel tarts, ANYTHING SWEET. Once I start I cant stop, hence why my goal is unfortunately to not start at all.... I love food and cakes / sugar especially, but I have told myself If I cant be trusted with a little bit, I cant have any of it, harsh but fair!

I'd encourage you to cut out all sugar, (the first 3-5 days is hell) but thereafter you actually feel better! Here is my NO list, here is my YES list....

NO:
    Cakes, chocolate, slices, sweet cereals, puddings, custards, desserts. ANYTHING WITH UNNATURAL YUCKY NASTY SUGAR IN IT.

YES: sugar free jelly, fruit, frozen berries, occasionally canned peaches (drained), rasins dried fruit etc.....

Good luck :)

Feel free to add me if you like?
    xx
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am actually addicted to sugar...not gonna lie...
    My brother recommend that I go on a "sugar fast." I'm not super crazy about it. I am still eating fruits and peanut butter, things like that. However, I told myself...one week without sugar. No big deal. I'm doing great (It's day 5!) and the weight is starting to come off again after being plateaued for two-three months. It's amazing how incredible the mind is in overcoming these things. If I challenge myself I will certainly overcome the challenge. If I set up a rule to deprive myself or "punish" I will definitely fail and then feel guilty and then fail again.

It's a hard time to do it, but even though I am telling my mind only one week, I am actually going to do it until Dec. 20...maybe longer.

Good luck to you!