Lose it.com vs MFP

Options
So I stumbled upon the loseit.com app while browsing the app store. It's also free like MFP and has similarities so I was wondering if anyone else had tried this one! It got good ratings in the app store.

Replies

• rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I could never cheat on MFP. lol
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I could never cheat on MFP. lol

Word! I just can't quit you...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    LoseIt.com thinks I can lose 1/2 a pound on 1798 calories. My MFP maintenance is less than that. Seems like a big difference!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I will only leave MFP if all of my friends leave and all of the support forums go and everyone that has lost more than 1 lb on here will go.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    LoseIt.com thinks I can lose 1/2 a pound on 1798 calories. My MFP maintenance is less than that. Seems like a big difference!

They may take into account planned exercise, whereas MFP assumes no exercise, which is why your exercise cals get added back here.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I see this as a win win. You can log calories on one and if you are about to go over BAM 2000 extra calories on the other without going over!
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    which calculation for basal metabolic rate does it use? does it take into account activity levels during the day? MFP uses Miffen St Joer which i used long before I used MFP calculating it manually and the MFP values seem to be in line with that and worked for me the last time.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    The Lose It food database is not as comprehensive as MFP's. I found myself having to manually add a lot of things I ate, and that gets tedious after a while.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a bit higher calorie-wise for me over at Loseit.com I'm sticking with MFP

It also looks like the database of foods is vastly larger over here. Another reason to stick with MFP.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends that have gone to that site, but I am happily staying with MFP :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a bit higher calorie-wise for me over at Loseit.com I'm sticking with MFP

Is this because they base your calories on TDEE including planned exercise? MFP ignores your planned exercise, which is why it adds them back in for you to eat. either way it should get you to roughly the same place, as long as you burn near what your goal burn is.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I see this as a win win. You can log calories on one and if you are about to go over BAM 2000 extra calories on the other without going over!

Oh that's just horrible!!! Hahaha!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell it I was planning to exercise. I looked around the site for a minute and couldn't find anything saying exercise was included. Of course, I literally looked for one minute so I could have missed it.

As much as I would like to think that MFP is too low, I know that I have lost 8 pounds in 8 weeks by following the calorie goal it gave me, so it must be correct for me.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious, haha.

Oh that's just horrible!!! Hahaha!
  • taraatwood
    Options
    I love MFP! wouldn't switch bc I like it here.
  • HindsFeet12
    HindsFeet12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I logged into loseit.com and it said I should have 2069 calories a day versus 1720 on MFP. There are also not the same amount of food choices. I tried to reenter my food for today, and only a fraction of the food was in there. On the plus, I like their reports A WHOLE LOT BETTER, but since my friends are on here, and they don't have the same extensive food database, I will stay with MFP. I do hope their reporting gets better though!
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    The Lose It food database is not as comprehensive as MFP's. I found myself having to manually add a lot of things I ate, and that gets tedious after a while.

Yes, this. I used Lose It for about six months before I discovered MFP. I'd never, ever go back...
  • nucknfutz1145
    Options
    I agree lose it doesn't have the extensive database as MFP. The reason the base calories are higher with lose it is because they take your RMR and multiply it by 1.45 to account for daily activities such as showering, driving to/from work, talking, etc. I guess they figure most people either won't bother with the calories burned for these activities, or wouldn't think to include them.
  • patrickhays2
    Options
    I am completely new to MyFitnessPal, but I've been using Loseit! for the last year. This is my first day on MFP, so I'm just getting know my way around.

So far, I like Loseit's web interface better, but MFP's app interface better.

I've noticed that there is a stark difference between the calories Loseit! suggests and what MFP suggests. MFP is ridiculously low. This really threw me off, because following Loseit's has been spot-on for me.

The food database never bothered me for whatever reason. I like having to hunt down what I am eating and find out what's inside. In comparison to Losei!, I find MFP's food database a little overwhelming.

I'll have to come back with more thoughts next week.