HRM question

Options
Those of you who wear a heart rate monitor, when do you turn them off? Do you shut them down as soon as you're done with your reps/run/etc? Or do you wait until your heart rate goes back to the normal range?
I've noticed that it can make a difference of 50+ calories depending on how hard I've been working.

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    When leaving the gym, I turn mine off when I sit down in my car. At home I turn mine off when I get the dogs leashes off and my jacket hung up.

It is better to underestimate than overestimate (I eat back my exercise calories)

Best to do month long experiments to see what works for you.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I wait until my heart rate goes back to normal, I figure as long as its still in the zone I'm still working out.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I shut if off when I am done the workout, before I cooldown. (if I run, I stop when I stop running). I know I probably underestimate my calories sometimes so I feel like this may offset that.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When the workout is complete.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I wait like 3 minutes to calm down,,,
  • Luvmysixpack
    Options
    I take it off as soon as I step off the machine I am using.
  • foolinme
    foolinme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I shut mine down as soon as I am done stretching after my workout. :smile:
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off when I get in my car - by that time my heart rate is back down to normal
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm confused- why does it matter when you take it off? Even if it has that "extra" 50 calories on there, haven't you burned that many calories whether you have your HRM on or not?

(I have not used a HRM before so maybe that's why I'm confused).
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    HRM is only accurate for cardio work out. It does not give the correct calorie event when you do weight lifting so
    I turn off HRM when I finish my work out before stretching.