Weight lifting advice and help wanted

Options
Been lifting weights for around two weeks, lifting as heavy as i can manage, keep going higher in weight every other day, I've noticed strength but my muscles don't seem to be getting 1) bigger or 2) harder. Ive started drinking protein shakes to boost my protein amounts. I rest and have plenty of sleep. Ive noticed weight loss, and i have gained 3 lbs of muscle on the scales.

Any ideas.

oh plus i do 3 sets, 8 reps

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You aren't gaining 3 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks

How many calories are you eating?
  • FordEXP
    Options
    Stick with it, 2 weeks is not enough time to see results.
  • cochilles
    Options
    1500 calories
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Two WEEKS? Maybe ask these questions at two MONTHS.
    Options
    At 1500 calories you are going to be gaining little to no muscle bro

Calorie surplus if you want to see some muscle gains :]
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    1500 net calories?? MFP doesn't give credit for calories burned doing strength training but lifting weights does burn calories so may try upping your calories a bit?? Also, are you taking rest days or just doing weights every single day??
  • cochilles
    Options
    i workout 4 times a week, and 3 days rest
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to weight lifting as well but I've been at it since February and I'm just recently starting to see some difference. Like Ford said, it takes time ... 2 weeks is certainly not enough to see any results.

I believe the rule of thumb as far as protein is concerned is 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight if you're trying to add muscle mass.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    to gain muscle it takes months, you cant gain muscle in 2-3 weeks. I've been weightlifting since 3-4 months ago and I still can't say that I am super muscular :)
  • JennBrown83
    Options
    can you open ur diary? we might be able to offer better ideas on nutrition if we can see what your eating, also... do you eat/ingest protien within an hour of your workout?? A lot of the guys at my gym (employees and heavy lifters) have told me it's a good idea after any strength training to eat something, preferrably high in protien, within an hour of your workout... just a thought
    Options
    i workout 4 times a week, and 3 days rest

That is what I do too.

But you still have to eat to see gains.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html
  • JennBrown83
    Options
    oh! something else i just thought of, you say you do 3 sets of 8 reps... is the 3rd set a serious struggle?? does it feel like you're not gonna be able to finish it?? cuz i'm lifting right now, just trying to tone, but I do 3 sets of 12 reps with a decently heavy weight and by the end of the 3rd set I am usually trembling so bad I'm not sure I can finish, have you thought about upping your reps???
  • cochilles
    Options
    oh! something else i just thought of, you say you do 3 sets of 8 reps... is the 3rd set a serious struggle?? does it feel like you're not gonna be able to finish it?? cuz i'm lifting right now, just trying to tone, but I do 3 sets of 12 reps with a decently heavy weight and by the end of the 3rd set I am usually trembling so bad I'm not sure I can finish, have you thought about upping your reps???

yea by the end of the 3rd rep my arms are shaking, putting all my effort just to finish it off
  • kit548emt
    Options
    I get better results when I combine small cardio bursts with strength training.

Like I'll start with 100 jumping jacks and then do up/downs (burpees) with 15 lb weights in your hands for example. I would also consider increasing the number of reps, keep the sets the same. Do maybe 12-15 instead. Make sure you aren't doing quick lifts, take your time with them make sure they are controlled and hold them for a count of 5 and make sure you are flexing not just lifting. Maybe that will help. And I'll only allow myself about a 30 sec rest between sets. I also make sure to have at least 3 different types of lifting workouts in each set.

But I agree with what every one else said, you aren't going to see results over night. It takes time. Especially if you're wanting to lose weight too, you'll have to lose the weight before you start really seeing a lot of the definition.