WHY CANT I DO IT!!???

Options
i feel like i eat right, i try and eat enough. i work out as much as i can and have time to.
but i feel like im not losing anything. im getting discouraged and dont know what else to do.
i want to lose just 30-40 lbs. i dont feel like its alot. but iv only lost 3. blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• beckyx7
    Options
    story of my life...
  • MorticiaLovesGomez
    Options
    :/
    That would be frustrating.
    Have you tried increasing the intensity of the work out?
    If that hasn't worked....... my first thought is get your thyroid checked.

Sometimes, a lot of times I guess, people plateau for a while.

Don't give up though!!!
  • susanmax
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to measure your portions? maybe your portions are too high! Also, when you exercise you should be eating the extra calories that you get otherwise you can put your body into starvation mode and you won't lose the weight
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I understand too... in the past if I was stuck (regained my weight.. but i had lost 50+ lbs!) i would cut out carbs. So maybe changing up the diet a litte? Focus on veggies and lean protien and not so much premade carby things? I know that on days that I cut out a sandwich, or go for noodle/rice less options I see a bigger difference on the scale...

Just my thought!
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input. and for the thyroid comment i am trying to get an anointment to do that. im kinda scaerd i dont want to know what there going to say.
    and with the "increasing the intensity of the work out" i dont have very much time on my hands durring the day. and the only work outs i do is home work outs.
  • gmp091
    Options
    First you need to think positive and really ask yourself am I ready for a change? Don't call it a diet...call it a lifestyle change. If you eat the amount of calories you are suppose to as well as exercise at least three-five times a week you should average lose 1-2 pounds a week. Only give in on "bad foods" as a reward when you have left over calories to consume. Everyone's body is different but changing is def a mental change too. It also helps to have an exercise buddy or a friend to help motivate you. My best friend who lives across the street is a toothpick and she always gives me encouragement. Also water is very important and check your alcohol consumption. I use to drink a lot and now I limit myself to a Friday/Saturday option. Good Luck!!!! Let me know if you need any more advice becaue I'm on a roll and I don't want to stop!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    ok i briefly looked at your diary.

Your macros are off - you need to adjust your settings for carbs/ fat and protein. I would recommend setting protein/fat/carb ratio to 40%/30%/30%

Now...here are a couple of comments to take you in the right direction:

1. You are eating way too many carbs and sugars and not nearly enough protein.
    2. Stop eating Mcdonald's
    3. Stop eating cereal for dinner (you ate 3 cups of special K which is 100g carbs and 8g of protein...that's terrible. You need to eat protein. i dont' care if you have a shake, hard boiled eggs or turkey breast but get your protein in. Try to get 100g of protein a day...you're nowhere NEAR that
    4. Try to eat snacks that are a bit more filling - piece of low fat cheese, nuts, etc. Grapes are a fruit which is good but it's one of the top 3 sugary fruit out there which is not GREAT when you're on a diet. If you love fruit, have an apple, pear, plum, peach etc and stay away from bananas, pineapples and grapes. I am not saying never have them but not every day maybe

Really work on your macros and it will have your weight moving in no time.

Also log religiously - sauces, oils, etc. Either your diary is not accurate 100% or you are eating WAY TOO LITTLE
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    ok i briefly looked at your diary.

Your macros are off - you need to adjust your settings for carbs/ fat and protein. I would recommend setting protein/fat/carb ratio to 40%/30%/30%

Now...here are a couple of comments to take you in the right direction:

1. You are eating way too many carbs and sugars and not nearly enough protein.
    2. Stop eating Mcdonald's
    3. Stop eating cereal for dinner (you ate 3 cups of special K which is 100g carbs and 8g of protein...that's terrible. You need to eat protein. i dont' care if you have a shake, hard boiled eggs or turkey breast but get your protein in. Try to get 100g of protein a day...you're nowhere NEAR that
    4. Try to eat snacks that are a bit more filling - piece of low fat cheese, nuts, etc. Grapes are a fruit which is good but it's one of the top 3 sugary fruit out there which is not GREAT when you're on a diet. If you love fruit, have an apple, pear, plum, peach etc and stay away from bananas, pineapples and grapes. I am not saying never have them but not every day maybe

Really work on your macros and it will have your weight moving in no time.

Also log religiously - sauces, oils, etc. Either your diary is not accurate 100% or you are eating WAY TOO LITTLE

This :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories a day is seriously dangerous to your health.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This is true. You need more calories. Also, I'd like to know how long you have being doing this. You need to have patience. Think about how long it took you, or how long you have been out of shape.

You need to figure out a healthy caloric deficit that balances out with exercise. From there portion your meals so that you can still eat most (if not all) foods that you like and stay within your allotted daily calories. So again, Patience, Discipline, Eat Responsibly, and Exercise. You'll get there, but the fight is in your mind.
    1,000 calories a day is seriously dangerous to your health.
  • mcovillion
    Options
    if 1,000 calories is dangerous then why does my food page tell me to eat 1200? is that too little?
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    I agree 1000 cals is too little... there is such a thing as the 1000 cal diet but you should never do this more than a week and thats pretty drastic at that.

Protein and Fiber I think are important.... i've been trying to cram my intake with things like mackerel, tuna, chicken, turkey, even Quorn (which is really tasty i've recently discovered!) ... and yes I got my net calories a bit screwed up ( too little cals) to start off with but I realise now that I actually need to eat more cals to aid my body after workouts - one day I burned up more calories than I ate and ended up with a net calorie intake of -10!... and I thoguht this must be good , but what you need to take into consideration is that if you drop your calories too much then your body and your metabolism plummets down to minimum levels, clings onto every last calorie you actually DO eat, and doesnt lose weight because it thinks the body is starving.

Bring your calories up using healthy foods ( like protein rich foods) rather than Mcdonalds/chocolate .... your bound to see results :) and dont forget to drink loads of water.

good luck :)

PS. My Page says 1,270 but because i've consistently burnt 500+ calories through exercise for the past 6 days i've always had a bigger calorie limit .... unfortunately its taken me a few days to sort it out lol so i've kinda just viewed this past 6 days as a 'body attack' but hopefully now i'm eating the 'right' number of cals it'll kick my metabolism up a gear or two ! (plus i'll be having a couple of days off the whole diet next week when I go to visit the boyfriend)......
  • lord_lethris
    lord_lethris Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying?

Are you eating the right amount at the right times?
    Do you exercise too much?

You joined in October, if its your first time dieting with this app, It doesn't happen over night. Some people metabolisms are screwed during there first month at dieting this way because there body's don't know when to burn cal's and how much it needs to burn before they eat again. Especially if your not balancing out food v's 'normal' exercise. too much exercise will cause your body to think "bugger this" and it starts to store fat where it can because it knows you will over exercise, and it needs it. This is why Athletes take in massive amounts of carb's and protein, because they need it for the exercise they endure... however, You don't need to exercise like an Athlete.

What you need to do is keep persisting! Eat the right food at the right times, 3 times a day. Avoid red meat* for dinner, OR if you are going to have red meat for dinner, have dinner at 5pm. Just do a Brisk 40min walk every day, thats enough for a normal person, eating normally. Sooner or later you body will sus out its balance, and correctly burn energy when it needs to and store less of it as fat.

It took my body months, my weight was up and down like a yo-yo. But now its really paying off.

It helps having a friend who can do it with you so you can encourage each other. Everyone here is happy to help!! :)

Don't worry about slipping one day during a week, everyone here does, and those who say they don't are lieing ;) . As long as you keep to your weekly target YOUR WINNING!

I'm a wizard chief too, and dieting don't have to taste bland. If you need any yummy food ideas, i'll be glad to throw some your way.

*your body wont burn off red meat in the evenings, as a consequence it is stored as FAT instead of used as energy, as in the evenings most of us don't need energy to rest or sleep.
  • crsmithrn
    Options
    I am with you! I have 36 to go, lost 3. How long have you been trying? When you first change your habits your body can take a while... its adjusting to your changes. Hang in there woman you CAN do it!!!! If you have been trying for a long time with diet and excercise and still getting nowhere...you might need to see your doctor and just make sure there isnt something metabolic going on like an underactive thyroid...etc.
  • lord_lethris
    lord_lethris Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOL, I didn't read what "nyctraveler" wrote, but yea, she's right. and "Tujitsu56" is right too.

1000 cal is defiantly seriously bad for your health. You body will enter a form of "Shock" which will cause you to burn little energy and store lots of FAT. You will feel tired all the time and start to sleep during the day.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your diary too, and I saw some (very limited) fruit on there and no where did I see vegetables. Those provide a lot of the nutrients/vitamins/minerals you need. So your body may be "nutritionally" starving even though eating stuff, which could make you eat more to try to compensate for the lack of nutrients in the food you are eating.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    1k calories? Not even something this website would suggest. 1200 (2lbs at less weight) is the lowest this website suggests. Eat more. Work out to burn off the calories... and don't expect immediate results.
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    Can I suggest some Breakfast too ??

sorry I don't want to claim or even try to attempt a diary bashing here... but I have to admit ( whether it be because i've been going to the gym/pool every day I dont know) that suddenty Breakfast is the best meal of the day after a lifetime of ''i'm not hungry, dont want/need breakfast'

i'd just generally suggest forget the fried food - do you like scrambled eggs? ...