A little cold-with big calories

Options
I think that I have caught a little cold from my students in my classroom. I know this might sound crazy, but I'm afraid to drink juice in fear that it is a ton of calories! What should I do? I want to get better and I feel like orange or apple juice will help the process. Water taste nasty right now! HELP!!!

Replies

• turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think that I have caught a little cold from my students in my classroom. I know this might sound crazy, but I'm afraid to drink juice in fear that it is a ton of calories! What should I do? I want to get better and I feel like orange or apple juice will help the process. Water taste nasty right now! HELP!!!
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know you won't want to hear this, but I would suggest not worrying about the calories and just focusing on getting well. I'm not a doctor, though. Maybe others will have better options for you. Feel better!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Feed a cold! Thats what my mum says! so i do!!! :laugh:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    While juice may make you FEEL better, it won't make you get better any quicker. Enjoy a small (4oz) glass of OJ, and just take care of yourself.
  • ladyhawk53
    Options
    Being ill causes your metabolic demand to increase and therefore your caloric requirements also increase so you may be doing yourself more harm by not drinking your OJ. Your body needs it right now. I don't think it's an option:drinker:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I know you won't want to hear this, but I would suggest not worrying about the calories and just focusing on getting well. I'm not a doctor, though. Maybe others will have better options for you. Feel better!

I agree! Maybe downing an entire container of orange juice isn't a good idea, but a glass or two during the day can't hurt. Just get better!
  • turtle31
    Options
    Thanks you guys. We have a half day today so maybe I'll just come home and get some rest. I did go over my calories yesterday because I was hungry and because of the juice. No BIG deal. Have a super day.
  • sapphire092170
    Options
    I've been sick too, and noticed my calorie intake has natually gone up. I'm not worried about it though...I listen to my body...it craves what it needs! If you need some OJ...go for it. Vitamin C is good for you when you've got a cold...and always try to remember the old addage "starve a fever, feed a cold" Must have some meaning...makes perfect sense. Though don't go crazy...keep a check on the calories...a glass or two of juice is good.
  • Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    If you're worried about the fruit juice calories, why not just exercise?

Exercise is actually the BEST thing for a cold. It boosts the immune system. I know its tough to feel like working out when you're sick, but doing the best you can will help you get better quicker.
  • pfeif21
    pfeif21 Posts: 27
    Options
    or try some G2 (gatorade) or powerade zero... at least those are low cal. and you can keep pushing your fluids.
  • turtle31
    Options
    or try some G2 (gatorade) or powerade zero... at least those are low cal. and you can keep pushing your fluids.

So I took a little bit of everyones advice, I drank a few cups of O. J. I got some rest and I worked out. I went to a 7:30 spin class tonight and burned 550 calories, I feel great! Thanks for your help!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Exercise is actually the BEST thing for a cold. It boosts the immune system. I know its tough to feel like working out when you're sick, but doing the best you can will help you get better quicker.

Actually, it's not the best thing. It doesn't 'boost' the immune system when you're already sick. It just puts more stress on the body by causing a stress response and using up calories that would be used for macrophage production. You can still exercise if it's just a mild head cold, but any chest congestion or extreme lymphnode swelling indicates a more serious infection, so REST is the best thing.
  • turtle31
    Options

Actually, it's not the best thing. It doesn't 'boost' the immune system when you're already sick. It just puts more stress on the body by causing a stress response and using up calories that would be used for macrophage production. You can still exercise if it's just a mild head cold, but any chest congestion or extreme lymphnode swelling indicates a more serious infection, so REST is the best thing.

I just had a little sniffle, but I HATE BEENING SICK, I never miss a day of work so any sign of a minor cold and I get a real attitude. I feel AWESOME, am going to take some more medicine and go right to bed. Thanks for your concern.