loosing pounds with thyroid issues...??

Options
Having a bit of a hard time loosing wieght - inspite of being under target calories, and implementing a new workout routine (gym 3+times per week, golf, mowing the lawn every week....)

Was recently diagnosed with Graves Disease, and they took out my thyroid. Put on about 35 lbs in the process..... Still messing with my medication, and have been hypo for about a year.....

Just cant seem to get moving down the scale.... any ideas???

Replies

• pongo
    pongo Posts: 12
    Options
    Having a bit of a hard time loosing wieght - inspite of being under target calories, and implementing a new workout routine (gym 3+times per week, golf, mowing the lawn every week....)

Was recently diagnosed with Graves Disease, and they took out my thyroid. Put on about 35 lbs in the process..... Still messing with my medication, and have been hypo for about a year.....

Just cant seem to get moving down the scale.... any ideas???
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options
    I feel your pain! I had mine removed in October of last year and have had an extremely hard time getting back on track. I was actually hyper before the surgery, so dropping weight was so easy, I was 10 lbs away from my goal.
    I bought a book called The Thyroid Diet by Mary Shomon. It has helped me tremendously. The weight has started to come off again, very slowly, but it is coming off. According to this book, you actually need to be consuming about 100 calories over your BMR to lose a half pound per week.
    It does not advocate replacing excercise calories. I have tried it both ways and don't seem to lose when I eat excercise calories so I just stick to 1700 per day and working out 6 days a week.
    I hope that helps. Good luck!
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I was the opposite I have hasimotos. It takes longer for us to get the weight off for me it was 1 pound a month on a good month it was 2 pounds. I talked with my doctor and she told me to eat around 1300-1500 cal a day and then I would eat 1/2 of my exercise calories back. I also started working out 5 days a week only cardio for 30 min. I am now trying to maintain so I am working out 4 days a week for 30 min and still eating the same so far so good. Good luck and it will come off!!:flowerforyou:
  • pongo
    pongo Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the tip - I will try and find the book! This has been driving me nuts for a year - besides the weight issues - all the other side effects of a thyroid disease! I actually have a physical coming up, so I will also talk with my doctor about it.....