More veggies... Need HELP

Options
I'm a bit of a picky eater and I'm having a REALLY hard time incorporating more veggies in my diet. I was hoping some people might have some great recipies or ways to include your veggies without feeling like you're eating veggies.

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Soup. Or mix it in with rice. If you do mashed potatoes, throw in some cauliflower. Um... That's all I've got off the top of my head.
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Veggie soup, chicken soup...make sandwich wraps (wheat wraps) using turkey, hummus, but mostly different veggies--I like peppers, olives, etc.
    Also mix broccoli with your brown/wild rice...also there are many recipes for "fake" mashed potatoes using cauliflower.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to give those a shot!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I love adding them to my omlettes or scrambled eggs. Just add some diced broccoli, cauliflower, squash, onions, peppers, or some combination thereof to your pan and let it cook a bit before adding the eggs.

Also, have you tried roasting your veggies? Just add a spritz of olive oil, some garlic if you like it, and a sprinkle of salt to veggies that have been cut into bite-sized pieces. Arrange the pieces into a single layer on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Roast in a 375 degree oven until somewhat soft. That's about 20 to 25 minutes for soft veggies like squashes, and about 45 minutes for firmer veggies like cauliflower and onions. It really gives them a lot of good flavor and takes away the bitterness you find in some veggies.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Green Giant has frozen veg packs at about $1 a piece!

They have about 6 different types and they are easy to pack for work! (microwave not included)

http://www.iateapie.net/reviews/archives/2008/02/green_giant_sim.php
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Tree72 has got it right - roasting vegetables makes them more palatable. I love broccoli but sometimes eating it raw is a chore. Roasting them really brings out their yummy flavor!! I suggest roasting broccoli, brussels sprouts (yes, seriously), cauliflower, and onions.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I put veggies in everything, omelets, spaghetti, veggie burgers, sandwiches, salads, eat them raw, with dip, cooked, steamed, add some cheese or butter, celery with peanut butter..
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Green Giant has frozen veg packs at about $1 a piece!

They have about 6 different types and they are easy to pack for work! (microwave not included)

http://www.iateapie.net/reviews/archives/2008/02/green_giant_sim.php

<<This is a quick hot lunch w/a little protein add on. Ever had green beans w/spaghetti sauce? Yum.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions!! I'll definitely try those!!
  • kaybeemam
    Options
    I am new member and new to trying to eat measured portions only because my metabolism has slowed down owing to post menopause etc etc but I have been a vegetarian all my life. I have started making an easy home made vegetable soup recipe for dinners after work. I throw 2 carrots, a few green beans, a bunch of spinach leaves, a small piece of ginger (optional) 3-4 tomatoes, a pice of cabbage (optional) cut into big pieces in a pressure cooker. Add 2-3 tbsp of yellow lentil, 2-3 tbsps of rice (optional). Add 3 cups of water and salt to taste. Close the lid. Put it on heat and let the cooker give 4 whistles before I switch off the heat but do not open the lid for some more time. The veggie soup with rice and lentil is ready for 1-2 persons. This is a whole meal in itself. No accompaniments required. :happy: Enjoy! Kay
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    So I don't know the name of it, but google is a helpful tool... There is a cook book for people just like you :) You incorporate a lot of veggies into foods and you can't even tell you're eating them! Good luck :)
  • EarthquakeZinGirl
    Options
    At Thanksgiving, I sauteed (halved) brussel sprouts with shallots and garlic in a tiny bit of olive oil. I tossed them, asparagus spears, and baby carrots in olive oil, salt, and black pepper. I then roasted them for 40 minutes at 350. Delish!
  • KirstFaye
    KirstFaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Drink fresh veggie juice from a health food cafe or get a juice extractor. Great health benefits from fresh veggie. Watch the documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, it was really good an inspiring.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    I mix all kinds of veggies into spaghetti sauce. Cook until they are tender then use an immersion blender to make a smooth sauce. Then add meat of choice. I add carrots, peppers, squash, onions - all kinds of stuff. The kids don't know the difference.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    So I don't know the name of it, but google is a helpful tool... There is a cook book for people just like you :) You incorporate a lot of veggies into foods and you can't even tell you're eating them! Good luck :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Chef-Strategies-Healthy-Favorite/dp/0762430753/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322782158&sr=1-1

The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals [Paperback]
    Missy Chase Lapine (Author)
    4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (340 customer reviews) | Like (25)
    I think this is what you are thinking about....
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Drink fresh veggie juice from a health food cafe or get a juice extractor. Great health benefits from fresh veggie. Watch the documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, it was really good an inspiring.

This ^^ I LOVE my juicer. I can PM a few combinations to try, if you're interested.
    BTW - processed juices you buy from the store, even ones like BARE NAKED, are not the same - the nutrients are destroyed through processing, then added back in.

Another good link: http://juiceladyinfo.com/

I also use this trick whenever I make soups or stews: I roast cauliflower and a sweet potato, put them into the blender with some of the broth, and blend them into "gravy". Then I stir it back into the soup or stew.
  • kellzyeah
    Options
    One thing I have always done is add spinach to any ground beef/turkey meatloaf/meatballs/etc. You can't even taste the spinach, and it really bumps up the nutritional value :)
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Check out this site : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371

I believe you will find the way there are many recipes with pics. You can also share, like or comment under the posts.
    I'm a bit of a picky eater and I'm having a REALLY hard time incorporating more veggies in my diet. I was hoping some people might have some great recipies or ways to include your veggies without feeling like you're eating veggies.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My new favorite soup is Carrot and Leek soup.
    You can Google it, but basically it is 3 cut up leeks sauteed with ground cardamon. Add 3 cut carrots and simmer in Swanson Chicken broth until the leeks and carrots are tender. Put them through the blender and add a cup of heavy cream and season to taste.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thank you everyone!!