3/4 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
4 cups water
1 6-3/4-ounce package Spanish rice, cooked
Fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced

Directions
1. Rinse beans; drain. In a large saucepan, combine beans and the 5 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Rinse and drain beans.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork in two batches; drain fat.
4. Coat a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add beans, pork, onions, garlic, and cumin. Pour in the 4 cups water; stir.
5. Cover; cook on low heat 10 to 11 hours.
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove beans and pork. Serve beans over rice, and spoon liquid over the top. Garnish with sliced jalapeno.

Nutrition facts per serving: 344 calories, 19g protein, 68g carbohydrate, 1g fat (0g saturated), 17g fiber

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Options
    Red Beans Over Spanish Rice

Makes: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups dry red beans or dry kidney beans
    5 cups cold water
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    3/4 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 1/2 cups chopped onions
    6 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    4 cups water
    1 6-3/4-ounce package Spanish rice, cooked
    Fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced

Directions
    1. Rinse beans; drain. In a large saucepan, combine beans and the 5 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
    2. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Rinse and drain beans.
    3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork in two batches; drain fat.
    4. Coat a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add beans, pork, onions, garlic, and cumin. Pour in the 4 cups water; stir.
    5. Cover; cook on low heat 10 to 11 hours.
    6. Using a slotted spoon, remove beans and pork. Serve beans over rice, and spoon liquid over the top. Garnish with sliced jalapeno.

Nutrition facts per serving: 344 calories, 19g protein, 68g carbohydrate, 1g fat (0g saturated), 17g fiber
  • Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I might modify this recipe by using sausage instead of the pork (probably Hillshire Farms light), add some Franks Red Hot, then serve the rice and beans over brown rice. Mmmmm.
  • Atibyrd
    Atibyrd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds very good. I think I'm going to try it tomorrow and use turkey sausage instead of the pork and see how it comes out.

I can't wait to to try it. I sure hope the kids enjoy it.