I dont know what to do.. :(

Options
Today my little sister added me as a friend on MFP, I told her I WAS NOT going to accept her friend request because she has been using MFP to eat under 500 calories a day and I didnt want to be apart of that. I told her that she was still growing (shes 14) and she needs to make sure she meets her nutritional goals, as well as meeting her caloric goals (this will allow her to lose weight and remain healthy).

However, she doesnt want to listen to me, because she thinks that eating less is the way to lose weight..

Then I just went onto her profile, and she has ME listed as her inspiration, and now I feel terrible :(

WHAT TO DO! :(

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Report her for being under 18. This site is for 18 and up. And I would have a talk with her mom and dad to see what can be done to help her. :frown:
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    Oh no! You are absolutely right about her needing food. I don't think anyone should be eating less than 1200 for sure and that is only is she is super tiny. She needs vitamins, protein, and carbs for proper body function. Poor girl. Perhaps as her inspiration you can friend her and she can watch your food diary and be inspired to do better?
  • nelson6500
    Options
    My daughter was 12 and competing gymnastics so she always felt she was fat. I had her pediatrician talk to her. He pulled in a pediatric gastro dr and had her talk, show pictures and explain what happens if the calories are not eaten while growing. I think the fact that she was a woman along helped.

If she already has an eating disorder, there can be underlying issues that need to be addressed.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Report her. She has no need to be on here. At her age I think it's dangerous.

I also agree that you can provide her a healthy example, and you should really discuss this with your parents.
    This kind of behavior in somebody that age would make me very very nervous.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Tell your mom or talk to her about it. If my sister was doing that, I'd sit her down and tell her that she needs to smarten up or I'd tell my parents.
  • kellylara93
    Options
    feel free to try and talk some sense into her... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/TaylorKelly97
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    haha, you would think if you had to lie about your age to create a profile on this site, you might not use '97' as part of your username. :laugh:
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Are you guys living together?
    Start to cook healthy together, teach her inspire her and workout maybe as well so she could see the healthy way of eating, exercising.
    I don't know how she looks, but for sure she can screw up her hormones by doing things unhealthy!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
    www.bodyrock.tv
    www.myomytv.com
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Tell Sister you love her, then proceed to Slap Sister
    Step 2. Repeat First Step until sister begs you to stop
    Step 3: Have the Vaginal Fortitude to be a bigger sister and talk to the parents
    Step 4: Have her look at women who have eating disorders and maybe talk to them
    Step 5: Tell her that you can't get a nice spice rack or caboose without proper nutrition while growing.
    Step 6: Get her to therapy ASAP. There is something physcologically wrong here.
    Step 7: Go shopping, cook and eat dinner with said sister.
    Step 8: Always try to treat the disease and not the symptoms.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Looks like she deactivated. Maybe she saw this?
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Don't feel terrible for telling her the truth!!!!!!!! That's what older siblings are for to beat us younger ones up and tell us the truth! Discipline and structure are two things children/teens need even if they get mad! No regrets!!!!!!!
  • GodWithUs777
    GodWithUs777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When you have some time with her, I would explain what her body is doing when she eats less than 1200 calories. Her body is going into starvation/survival mode, which will eat the muscles instead of the fat...this includes her heart.

I would definatly tell Mom and Dad about this issue, this is a very dangerous caloric amount.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Looks like she reactivated.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    You should tell mother.
  • kellylara93
    Options
    I have spoken to her, so has our mother, shes going to monitor it..
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    TALK to her, don't tell her; inform her on the healthy ways to do this. Healthy foods, eating enough calories, exercising, etc. Show her the ropes, so to speak. Don't get mad at her, educate her.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It's still against the terms of the site. This is no place for kids.

Point her to sparkteens.com. It's designed for teens.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    agreed
    TALK to her, don't tell her; inform her on the healthy ways to do this. Healthy foods, eating enough calories, exercising, etc. Show her the ropes, so to speak. Don't get mad at her, educate her.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Monitoring it isn't going to do anything other than cause your sister to avoid eating during the rest of the day and only eating dinner and lying about it.

Sister needs to get in to see a counselor and a nutritionist. ASAP. EDs often are/can be triggered by an traumatic event of some kind. There might be more to it than just wanting to lose weight, a therapist is your best bet. A woman who specializes in young teens with eating disorders, deal with it now while she's young or it will only be harder to over come later.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's still against the terms of the site. This is no place for kids.

Point her to sparkteens.com. It's designed for teens.

This. Also, her account will probably be deactivated, so she should start elsewhere now.