Max Heart Rate o_O

Hey MFP's

According to the equation of 220 - age, my Max Heart Rate is 220 - 22 = 198
Last night my Polar FT60 told me that my heart rate got up to 200 in a netball game and I wasn't about to die or anything, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't REALLY REALLY hard, I did work hard but not my absolute hardest.

Clearly my max heart rate isn't 198.
Does anyone know much about max heart rate, and what does it mean if I got up to 200? Is it good? Bad?

TIA :smile:

Replies

• mmm - since I got my HRM i have noticed my heart rate frequently up in the 190's and I am 36 so it should be 184 max. Does that mean I am in my 20's on the inside?? LOL
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    max heart rate is a really hard thing to work out
    has your heart is a muscle you will notice over time that the max rate will go down as your heart learns to cope with the exercise its doing and it adapts.

the most important thing to judge is yourself. if your chest hurts or your struggling to breath or it stays really high for a long time then thats a problem

but if you feel fine (just tired from exercising your *kitten* off =D ) then all is good =]
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    I reckon it's a bit different for everyone and also would have to do a bit with your fitness level. I'm 24 and haven't gotten above about 175 and that's pretty all out effort, I imagine max for me couldn't be much higher than 185 and according to that formula it would be 196. I think my resting heart rate is 55-60, which is fairly low and that must play a factor. I'm also on a blood pressure medication which I believe lowers my heart rate. http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/test/resting-heart-rate.htm

There are many different formulas from many different researchers as well: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Watch for crazy spikes at the beginning of a workout; if the strap isn't wet at the contact points it can be erratic until you sweat (Garmin bad for this). But if you're already sweating or you wetted the strap then you're getting a good reading.

HR guides are just guides, geared to inactive people I believe. I'm 48 with low of 40 and high of 210. In races I keep my HR between 170-180 for hours.
    And I'm fine!

Cheers,
    Erik
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Cheers, mine doesn't connect if it isn't wet :tongue:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    The highest heart rate i got is 187 and I'm 47 yrs old.
    220 - 47 = 173

As long as you feel fine there is no reason to slow down.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    I'm not worried, just wondering if my heart being able to beat that fast is good, i.e. does the heart's bpm increase or decrease with improved fittness, or something like that...?