Recovering from a "bad" run

Options
So, my MFP running pals...today I had what I categorize as a "bad" run.

In short, I set out to do 4 miles (like normal) and instead did a really hard 3. It was super windy, I was tired and I twisted my ankle which triggered an upper thigh pull (but nothing so bad as to subvert the run). In short, I think the run just wasn't coming to me. As we all know, running is hugely psychological as well as physical. I can recover from the physical, but tonight, my head is telling me, "you suck".

So...what is your best method for recovering from a "bad" run?

Discuss!

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    We all have them. Just put it out of your head and move on....and of course that is easier said than done. We are our own worst enemies sometimes.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have found that after a bad run, I'll have a really good run. Keep that in mind. Especially since you're aware of the psychological aspect of running. Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had a bad run Wednesday, so I am dreading tomorrow. I will enjoy hearing advice that you get. I sure hope you will get back to it. I plan to try again tomorrow.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    The best way to recover is to set out to have a better run tomorrow :bigsmile: They can't and won't all be great, but some of them will and those ones will more than make up for the occasional tough run.

We all experience it. Just get out there and start fresh. Every time to hit the streets you have an opportunity to make it the best run you've ever had. It's just you and a date with the asphalt - nothing standing in your way from having a fabulous run! Just keep getting out there until you have a good one :bigsmile:
  • oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There will always, always, always be bad runs (boo). For me, getting back out there is the only way to recover. Try the same four miles again...eat a good breakfast or snack before hand...make sure your ipod is fully charged, and let go of the last run! You've got this!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    sleep and waking up to a new day helps!

Have a rest day, then go out and run!! I too always have a GREAT run after a bad one.

Hope it turns out the same for you! :flowerforyou:
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Not all runs are going to be happy happy joy joy. It's not a big deal. Just realize they happen, don't beat yourself up over it and move on.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Well...to update...I'm in bed sick...so, part of bad run issue solved. :ohwell:

That said, I think the thing to learn here is that "bad runs happen" and you just have to shake it off and move on! You all are awesome and I wish you happy running..er umm...I wish you happy running and quick recovery for "bad" runs! :happy:

BTW...thanks for the flowers and the smiles! :laugh:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat chocolate, it makes you feel better.

Ooops, I didn't mean that. Accept that it was a bad run, but that the next one can only be better!
    Hope you feel well again soon.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I had a bad run on Wednesday.
    I know I need new running shoes but it was more than that.
    I woke up today with a sore throat and some sinus...( sigh ):grumble:
    I did a cardio hip hop dvd & a really long brisk walk today to get out of my funk.
    I want to finish my last day ( graduation day ) of C25K tomorrow AM strong...
    Hopefully it will happen for me.

I hope you feel better soon and get right back out there and call it a do-over.

Keep pushing forward...