New thoughts + HELLLLP

Options
I am pushing through a meltdown right now. Have been for a while, as I havent been on here for a while about a week or so ago. I used to say to myself "Oh I feel so down right now. I just dont care today, Lets grab some chocolate." But lately without even trying my brain is saying "Oh I feel so down today. Let's hit the gym. I don't care if we take it slow, just go." Pretty awesome right?

If anyone cares for a small little story thing:
I will feel WONDERFUL after my workouts saying that I have done well. But then I go on the scale and it hasnt gone down. It hasnt gone down in a week. And I feel even fatter than usual when I look at myself in the mirror. And no, I havent been losing a lot lately. Maybe it is my food intake, but I can't exactly help that as I'm living under my parents unhealthy roof.

I'd REALLY appreciate some sort of motivation and advice or something, preferably no direct attacks at the food. My parents do help me out as much as they can, but they aren't wealthy and healthy food is more expensive.

I'd also like some more supportive friends.. >.> I don't have very many friends on here atm.

Replies

• Ashleysh22
    Options
    Hey there.

Feel free to add me. I love all the encouragement i get from this site.

I totally get the unhealthy household thing. I grew up in one of those. It is much harder to eat better when you are with other people. One option is just to focus in smaller portions. Also, it is most healthy to lose 1-2 pounds a week so not losing any in a week is certainly not unhealthy, particularly if you aren't gaining. More power to you for continuing your workouts!
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a whole pan full of choc chip cookies my mom and kid made tonight i am trying to avoid. I dont have dumping syndrome with gastric sleeve as the gastric bypass patients do , so i can eat those sweets just like anyone else. maybe not as much , but i dont wanna get into those bad habits again. thank god we had celery and strawberries too i made me a healthier snack. I told them we need to make a rule no cooking sweets except once a week. yesterday was brownies :/ we all need some support sometimes

13253140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was in a very similar situation with my family. chips every night with dinner, all the sweets you could think of. When i first started and i had to really force my parents to buy healthty alternatives for me it was hard. When i felt like giving up, id stop pushing them and suddenly there was no healthy options and it was easy to quit. But i can say if you stick with it, it WILL get easier, not perfect but easier. I have been doing this since july, and because i have stuck with it my parents have actually changed. They dont cook chips for dinner anymore, they buy my healthy food as instinct, not because im pestering them. my mum really tries to find healthy alternatives. she looooves buying treats and now she tries to find healthier treats for me. Now its not perfect, they still have their snacks which i have to avoid with willpower, and with christmas coming up mum bought me my FAVOURITE cake this week, so needless to say ive had a bad week as i ate the cake all on my own (WOOPS!) but its still much eaiser then it was before. They will adjust to your new lifestyle if you show them its not just a fad but a change for good.

When it comes to friends i think a good idea is to start going through the forums more. You'll find ppl hu inspire you, ppl you find a connection with, and if your posting other ppl will find you. I started with just a few friends and i have a lot now, which is good and bad, it does make it harder to follow everyone, but it also means when you have a bad day you are more likely to get some responses that help lift you up. i went through forums and posted on a lot of new ppl's threads saying add me if you like, and found that a lot of other ppl added me as well. being open to others will really help.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I empathize with the frustration of eating reasonably, exercising and not seeing immediate or quick results. I tend to get stuck at each one pound weight loss for about a month, so I go for days/weeks without losing anything. However, I continue to see differences in how my clothes fit and what I am able to do physically, both endurance and speed. If you haven't done it yet, take your measurements (and add to those that MFP already has set--the more measuresments the better because all the inches lost add up!).

Parents (and I am one) often are accustomed to using food as both a reward and a comfort, so there is an impulse to keep feeding our children even when they are adults. If your parents can't buy healthy foods, perhaps you can find ways to supplement what they have or buy some of your own healthy food for when you aren't eating at home. If you have a local warehouse club (I belong to Costco) produce and fruit can be much cheaper than at a regular grocery store.
  • FatPandaBandit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and advice! You've really helped me start my day out good!