Any advice?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first 5k !!
    Its December 31st - a resolution run

Any advice?

Well done, having a race to focus on is a great motivator!
    If you aren't already doing a training program, then google runner's world or runkeeper or running method for a training schedule. You only have four weeks, so I hope you have already done some running!\

My best tips for running:
    - don't try to go too fast. Build up endurance first, speed can come later.
    - get good shoes and bra, fitted for you
    - run the race route ahead of time if you can
    - don't ignore rest days. They give your body time to heal and your mind time to switch off
    - enjoy!
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well, apart from the typical "stretch, eat carbs the night before, stretch" I would say go check out the route if you don't know it already (surprises aren't fun in a road race) and just enjoy yourself!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first 5k !!
    Its December 31st - a resolution run

Any advice?

Well done, having a race to focus on is a great motivator!
    If you aren't already doing a training program, then google runner's world or runkeeper or running method for a training schedule. You only have four weeks, so I hope you have already done some running!\

My best tips for running:
    - don't try to go too fast. Build up endurance first, speed can come later.
    - get good shoes and bra, fitted for you
    - run the race route ahead of time if you can
    - don't ignore rest days. They give your body time to heal and your mind time to switch off
    - enjoy!

Great tips. And don't forget to have a great time! ;)
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    Congrats, My fiance and I are also signed up to run a new years run, its a resolution run as well. It will be our 3rd 5k. Start slow, and dont over do it, if your new to running its easy to start to fast and end of injured, I'd reccomend the Couch to 5k program as a place to start!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Pin your number on the front, line up at the back and have fun!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Pin your number on the front, line up at the back and have fun!

LMAO thanks

I was talking to a friend who is into races.. She told me a bit what I should wear in terms of layers and shoe grips (could be icey/snowy).. I am already doing interval runs - but plan to up it a lot more for the next few weeks.
    I just got new runners - so I aught to break them in
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well then with the running.
    So not really a fear/concern of not being able to do the distance it sounds like.

In which case, if this 5K also has a 10K or half or full marathon taking off at the same time, get ready for slow running if you start too far back.

I just did half and was very near back because of where I parked (or actually, bad concept of timing and just being late!), and the ability to keep your desired pace was almost impossible until about mile 2. And this was on 2 lane road, no real hills to speak of, ect. Really messed up trying to keep a pace.
    I heard some of the 5k'rs grumbling about it, because they only got 1 mile to get up to their speed then.

Oh clothes. Long sleeve non-cotton shirt, light-weight fleece or wind-breaker or similar you can take off and wrap around you when warmed up.
    Thick pile leg wear depending on temps, perhaps thin pile.
    Thin non-cotton liner sock with your favorite on outside.
    Gloves thin enough to breath, or open enough to allow warm moist air out.
    Basically at 3 miles, probably not much to worry about unless the walk to your car is longer than the run, and you really walk it.