Supplements

Options
Ok, I recently started weight training more and I'm wanting to know what kind of supplements will help me burn the fat and build muscle. I don't want to get much bigger. I have a pretty stocky frame and would really just like to tone up maybe get a little bigger.

I have a friend that suggested drinking protein shakes with Creatine? Any suggestions? Anyone with experience with this supplement? I'm a newbie to weight training and supplements and I've been taking multivitamins for almost a month.

Anyone with suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated and I may dance at your next wedding or birthday :D..................................Maybe

Replies

• 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    Unless you plan on serious body building you don't really need supplements other than a good multi. I recently asked a certified personal trainer the same question. His response was that food should be your main source of nutrients. Since you are lifting weights, your body is going to need more protein to make repairs to the muscles. It takes energy to convert the proteins to amino acids for use and that energy comes from fat. if you keep your diet relatively high in protein and low in fat then the energy for the conversion will come from within your energy stores ie. fat.
  • mlh29
    mlh29 Posts: 40
    Options
    I not by choice am taking most of my meals in the form of met rx protein meal replacements..

I would say if available take a good mens multi vitamin.
    Eat lean meats, chicken, tuna, fish , eggs.
    Shoot for about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight
    If your goal is not size .. you may either want higher reps with lighter weights, or add a cardio routine.
    If you dont want cardio I would say get a heart rate monitor to keep track of what you burn during weight training etc

Generally creatine will just add size that is moslty water weight.. quit taking it and and the gains go away..

If you are not getting enough protein in your diet I would suggest Body fortree advanced whey protein from walmart.. it is cheap, works and is readily available

Good luck
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My brother is a personal trainer and he takes Creatine to improve muscle recovery so he can do sessions closer together when trying to build muscle. He didn't recommend it to me for weight loss and toning. What he did recommend is a protein meal replacement shake so that I can get extra energy without calories. I don't take it all the time, but if I'm in a hurry in the mornings I'll have one with an apple or something and it will keep me from needing a snack before lunch.
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of the 1g/lb of body weight myth. It's only for very low fat, already fit athletes! Please read http://www.theiflife.com/how-much-protein-per-day-build-muscle, which includes the following tidbit related to your question: "Unless you are needing immediate muscle glycogen replenishment for the next day of training (athletes), you don’t need that immediate post workout shake/meal."