bleeding (women only)

Options
First of all, I want to apologize to all of the guys were bored and decided to read this...
Ok so I have not had my period in about 4 months. The last 2 times i have gone to the bathroom, there has been some blood on the toilet paper, but i don't think its my period. i know that no one on here is a doctor, but i am wondering if anyone here has experienced this before. my main question is: should i go to the er or not? it is really late at night here and so I'm not sure that i'm up for a trip to the hospital if i don't need one...can i wait until tomorrow or should i go now?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Is there any possibility that you are pregnant?

I would make an apt if this is not normal for you. There might be something else going on, but I don't think it warrants a trip to the ER unless it's a massive amount of blood.
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    oh i forgot to mention that i am for sure not pregnant.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Is there any possibility that you are pregnant?

I would make an apt if this is not normal for you. There might be something else going on, but I don't think it warrants a trip to the ER unless it's a massive amount of blood.

I agree with the above. There isn't much an ER will be able to do for you, beyond advising you going to a doctor and getting a pregnancy test done. Especially if you're not in any pain.

You may be having your period, but it's very light. Because I have an IUD, I'll get some really minor spotting that often not even red, during my regular period times, but nothing else.

You may also be having irregular periods due to your diet and exercise, depending on what your food intake is like and how intensely you work out? It's a possibility. Another is stress.

But I'd suggest, just like the person above, to call your doctor's office in the morning when they open and get in as soon as possible. They'll be able to advise you further, and you'll probably have a "real" pregnancy test just in case. Better safe than sorry, right?
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    No need to go to the ER. It's not immediately life-threatening. Just make an appointment and go see your doctor sometime in the next week or so.

There are half a dozen reasons why you might not be menstruating. Your doctor is best suited for these kind of questions. We'd just be guessing, but the doctor can do blood work to check hormone levels, etc...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yup - just put a call into your PCP's office and set up an appointment... save yourself the countless hours of an ER waiting room....
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen. I didn't bleed for nearly 5 months then when I did finally get my period I bled for 50 days straight (no joke). I finally went to the doctor but she didn't find anything wrong with me. It was weird but it's never happened since. But that was at my highest weight (385) and if you're not severely overweight I don't think that missing your period for that long is normal.

If you're not experiencing pain I wouldn't panic. Personally I'd just wait it out. There are many reasons why a woman might miss her period for a couple of months, hormonal fluctuations, weight fluctuations, etc. But if you are worried about it, set up an appointment to see your doctor.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to the ER for it, but I WOULD make an appt tomorrow with your doc....you need to get checked. better safe than sorry! good luck!!
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    is it possible to see your doc to rule out PCOS
    i dont want to scare you or anythng but not having a period for so many months but spotting are the symptoms
    reason i know this is ive been through the whole process myself,
    request an ultrasound on your ovaries, just to be on the safe side, good luck to you and i hope you get it resolved ASAP
  • 21karensmith
    21karensmith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would make an appointment for your doctor, if your really worried about it..... I really don't think it needs a er visit unless its a lot of blood. Also when dieting and exercising it will totally make your body go into crazy mode, bc its tryin to adjust to the changes.....no period or a period that comes and goes a lot and very frequently. I didn't have one for like 4 months and then had 4 in almost a month,my doctor didn't find any problems. Things seem to be "normal" again lol. Good luck
  • mquarry
    Options
    is it possible to see your doc to rule out PCOS
    i dont want to scare you or anythng but not having a period for so many months but spotting are the symptoms
    reason i know this is ive been through the whole process myself,
    request an ultrasound on your ovaries, just to be on the safe side, good luck to you and i hope you get it resolved ASAP

I would do this. I struggle with PCOS myself. Having an IUD helps with not having any periods, so I don't freak out about not having them anymore. Large weight gain can cause PCOS to start suddenly in a woman that hasn't had it previously. Go ahead and just make an app with your OB/GYN (regular doc will just refer you anyway), have them test your testosterone levels and do an ultrasound of your ovaries. They will probably do a pregnancy test, too, just to be sure.
  • helenjn
    helenjn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a midwife...I don't think you need to visit the ER but I would get it checked at your doctors as soon as you can. Missing periods is nice but you need to find out if there's something clinical behind it... Good luck!
  • Luvmysixpack
    Options
    I would see your doc ASAP.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Listen to the midwife! And the rest of the people saying you should get it checked out. But no need for an ER visit - really that's only for life and limb threatening emergencies.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and this sounds like classic symptoms.

Also could be a UTI, or a kidney stone.

Go to the doctor. I don't think it's urgent enough for ER, but that's just me.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    I've had this happen. I didn't bleed for nearly 5 months then when I did finally get my period I bled for 50 days straight (no joke). I finally went to the doctor but she didn't find anything wrong with me. It was weird but it's never happened since. But that was at my highest weight (385) and if you're not severely overweight I don't think that missing your period for that long is normal. ..

50 days straight?!! :noway: holy crap!

=

Are you under a lot of stress? it could be throwing off your cycle? I was, and my period decided not to show, which in turn stressed me out more so i went to my gyno... Dr said its never good not to shed your lining for so long and if i had missed another then, she would have given me something to help bring it on.

so ER, no... but do go to your Dr.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i haven't gotten a real peroid in a whole year ever since i got my tubes tied last year. I went to see my dr last week and she said it's nothing to worry about. I said when i do get me so called peroid it's only clots and i only notice it when i wipe, otherwise there is nothing. She took some blood work to check my hormone levels as it could also be pre- monopause, but who knows.. so i hope to get a call back from her to see what my results were, as i am only 35.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen. I didn't bleed for nearly 5 months then when I did finally get my period I bled for 50 days straight (no joke). I finally went to the doctor but she didn't find anything wrong with me. It was weird but it's never happened since. But that was at my highest weight (385) and if you're not severely overweight I don't think that missing your period for that long is normal. ..

50 days straight?!! :noway: holy crap!

LOL I know right? It was kind of nice not having a period for 5 months but so not worth the 50 days of bleeding after. hahah I went through so many tampons - I probably should have bought stock in tampax. lol

In all seriousness though it was a bit scary. I'm kind of surprised the doctor never found anything wrong with me, as that is WAY beyond normal. It's been 6 years though and nothing like that has happened since, so who knows. The female body works is mysterious ways. *shrug* Though it's always good to get yourself checked out in these cases - better to be safe than sorry. :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    No need to go to the ER. It's not immediately life-threatening. Just make an appointment and go see your doctor sometime in the next week or so.

There are half a dozen reasons why you might not be menstruating. Your doctor is best suited for these kind of questions. We'd just be guessing, but the doctor can do blood work to check hormone levels, etc...

Totally agree.

I had this issue when I was really young...and it was caused by stress when I started my very first job. Had nothing to do with what I was or was not eating, or exercise. Then, this happened again a couple years ago (I was 30 at the time). This time I was told that my brand new exercise program did it to me, and I was told not to worry about it. A couple months later, I was normal again. Moral of the story? There are tons of reasons that this can happen, some are more serious than others, and often the ways the doctor tells you to "fix it" are different. But, I would just go to your doctor and not the ER.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get non-period related spotting from exercise, esp jumping rope. It's happened once or twice from running but it seems jumping is the worse culprit. It never amounts to much so I chalk it up to the impact. I also have endo though and just had a massive amount of cysts removed. It hasn't happened since so I'm assuming the cysts were also involved.