don't feel like my exercise calories are accurate

Options
I'm logging in the most precise descriptions of the exercise I'm doing as I can find in the database, but the numbers I'm getting seem outrageously high. I can't believe I'm really burning that many calories. But if I can't get reasonably accurate estimates, the whole thing becomes pointless. :-(

Replies

• xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way that's why what I do is I usually go for the exercise I did and adjust the time to the calories. So the calories I've burnt are right but sometimes the time that i log is different (if that makes sense)
    because I go to the gym alot of the equipment has the calories on the screen so I use that as a guideline.
  • rrgrove
    Options
    the only way to really know for sure is to get a heart rate monitor.....and you can change the calories when you enter exercise
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Exercises on MFP are not accurate. Invest in a heart monitor or a body bugg to get accurate results. I found that the calories burned on here are higher than what I actually burn.
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into getting a monitor.
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    Im thinking mine are low - my heart rate is generally 70 - 80 bpm but when I exercise it goes up to between 145 - 155 bpm
  • WalkWell
    Options
    Yeah, I did heavy biking today for 30 min and the machine at the gym said i had burned 200 cal, but mfp said that that was like 380 or something- so i re described my exercise as moderate biking for 20 mins- and that recorded 208cal- which is about right.