Yummy tempting Chirstmas Market :/

Options
Going to a Christmas Market with a friend tonight so I'm a bit worried. I've done so well all week but am going to be expected to drink alcohol and eat from one of the stalls. Of course I WANT to eat and drink and let my hair down, but I don't know what options there're gonna be and I don't wanna harm my progress at all. Any tips on how to make this as healthy as it can be?

Replies

• Mark63
    Mark63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Remember to slip a water or diet soda in between drinks to reduce the amount of alcohol consumed. As for the eats, fewer cookies(only 1 instead of 2) is better. Look for protein or veggies and fill up on those. Most important, one night will not undue all your progress. It's half a day, admit you slipped and get back on the MFP train tomorrow. Have fun!
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There's a Christmas Market in our city at the moment too - so many good smells! Last year I would have been eating the hot caramel hazelnuts and swigging mulled wine with gay abandon ;)

If it was me, I'd probably just try to lose the carb element of whatever stall food I bought - burger without the bun and extra salad? Go for leaner options like turkey, venison if you eat meat? I'm veggie myself, and those options often tend to be a bit less salty / fatty if they're on offer? Booze wise - red wine's very festive, and good for you in moderation ;)
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oops - double post :(
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I live in Switzerland where the Christmas markets are simply amazing and every town has one! I'm headed to one tonight. I figure one glass of mulled wine, chestnuts and a few bites of magen brot won't kill me :) I've had a normal breakfast, but intend on having a very lean rest of the day with salads and tea beforehand.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I went to one last night but was very restrained and just had half a macaroon. Can you fit in some extra exercise before you go? Depending on the stalls, of course, you can still try to be good - avoid anything fried or with bread. Mine had a lovely Thai veggie noodle dish available and a chickpea curry too, but I'd already had dinner. If you can find something healthy for a meal, you can fit in a drink or two as well. Enjoy!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I went to the Leeds one last night and had a cup of mulled wine and a bratwurst with mustard- and threw away half the bun.

Enjoy yourself and dont worry! Just get an extra workout in :o)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I live in Bethlehem, PA AKA Christmas City, USA. There's a huge Christkindlmarkt here every December. I think for all the "not so good" options, there's also a lot of awesome options like hot soup, mulled cider, brats, and other local specialties. The biggest hurdle is staying away from all the rich German/Moravian desserts here :) I'll usually get a brat with sauerkraut, no bun, if available. Love me some sauerkraut!
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    Why don't you just have it as a 'Cheat Day'? Or do an extra workout either before you go, or the day after?

I'm going to the Hyde Park Christmas Market myself this Saturday - but before I go there I will be doing my Bikram Yoga in the morning, which will give me 800+ extra calories to be able to enjoy the mulled wine, bratwurst sausages, and pancakes :smile:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I went to one last night and had never been, but there were certain foods there I can rarely have, and I splurged, enjoyed it, didn't feel guilty, and am back on track today! Can't have a new lifestyle without enjoying treats!